London experts can you help?

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:37 AM
candy

London experts can you help?

Hi! Happy holidays to you all. Chuck and I are coming over to London England for the first time and just wondered if you guys could help me out with some questions I have.

- I've heard a lot about Cockney rhyming slang. Will I need to learn any before I go?

- We have a couple of hours free on one day - do you think we'll be able to see Edinburg?

- My distant relatives come from a town called Basildon in Essex County - are there any attractive sites nearby like condos with thatched roofs?

- I would love to have tea while I'm over there - can you arrange with Buckingham Palace to have tea with the queen (even Prince Charles would do)?

Thanks for your help
Candy

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Brit Expert

Hi, Candy. Try. Try to learn at least 50 words in Cockney rhyming slang. The locals will warm up and even smile if you do.

I think you will be able to see Edinburg, and maybe you can make a quick trip to Aberdeen since you will be so close. Lots of friendly people up in Aberdeen.

When you have this tea with the Queen, be sure and give her a big hug for me, okay? She just loves people who are openly affectionate with her!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Mel

Candy: Sounds like you already know everything important there is to know about getting along across the pond! To answer your questions, however:
1. Once you've learned the key to cockney rhyming, be sure ONLY to use it to converse with people in the Mayfair area--one doesn't want to give away one's humble beginnings by using that annoyingly clipped accent--the cockney accent will get you much faster service at Turnbull & Assers.
2. Absolutely head for Edinburgh with your free hours--in fact, take the bus! You'll have time for a quick stop in York and make it back to London for lunch (as long as you leave for Edinburgh by 10:00 a.m.)
3. YOU have relatives in Basildon? What a fab coincidence! My Uncle Basil (founder) built the new half-timber, thatch-roofed condos! You really MUST stop by to see them and say "hi" to Uncle!
4. Tea with the Queen can be difficult,but not impossible. She comes to the upper right front window (facing the statue of her grandmother-- you can't miss it--gold, fenced, in the middle of the front lawn, which looks like a giant parking lot). Anyway, she appears at that window at 11:55 a.m. every Wednesday and on alternate Sundays. She'll crook her left pinky as she raises her delicate bone-china cup. If you catch her eye, that's your signal to head through the gate, ignore the guards and walk on in.

Have a great trip!

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 06:37 AM
LizaDoolittle

Candy-The Queen also loves it when you speak to her in Cockney..be sure to use it as often as you can when ordering dinner in those really posh restos that you will go to.
While in Edinburgh, try popping up to St Andrews and get in a game of golf..they love Cockney there too!
If you want to visit with Charles, try taking up polo-again, the polo ponies respond easily to Cockney~And remember the Rain in Spain falls mainly on the Plain~

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 06:37 AM
candy

Gee thanks -
Britexpert - you say I must learn 50 words that sounds a lot - I've mastered apples and pears but can't quite see what Britney Spears has to do with anything? It would be great to see Aberdeen as well - is that the home of the legendary Aberdeen Angus Steak Houses that are so popular over there from what I hear? Over hugging the queen that sounds way too familiar to me - maybe just a kiss?

Mel - I'll say hi to your Uncle Basil on my trip. What's this May Fair? - does it only take place in May? I'm doing a search of bus websites for my daytrip to Edinburg

Thanks for your replies it would be great to hear from all you other helpful people

Candy

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:08 AM
david west

always a pleasure to help our differently-intellected friends:

Here's a couple of good bits of advice:

When boarding a tube train it is customary to shake hands with the other passengers.

Queues are optional, if you're in a hurry, just say so in a loud American accent and no one will mind if you jump in.

Policemen will give you a prize if you knock their helmets off, its an old tradition. The same is true of Guardsmen's busbies, and the Archbishop of canterbury's mitre.

The queen is in the phone book. Just give her a call.

Cockneys in areas like Basildon DO appreciate it if you take a bit of time and effort to speak the language. Heres a good icebreaker:

"hello me old china, you look like a right nonce, I've yet to see a bigger iron!" He'll buy you a pint and treat you to some jellied eels.

We love to be reminded of your efforts in the war. Don't miss a chance to bring it up.

Enjoy London. Tell us how it went.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Basil Nottingbone

Candy,

Don't worry about learning Cockney rhyming slang...just use the words from a few popular rap recordings ...its the same thing.

Basil

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
topping for anyone who wants to have tea with the queen....
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:15 AM

David West, you make me laugh out loud!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM
Billygoat

Well if you have two hours, you could go to Skye on your way to Edinburg. Don't forget to stop off in the Lakes District. Twenty minutes should be enough.
Of course, in that time you could also go through the Chunnel and visit Paris France.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:10 AM

David...

You are SO naughty!

At school were you regularly ordered to the headmaster's study for six of the best?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM

- I've heard a lot about Cockney rhyming slang. Will I need to learn any before I go?

No.

- We have a couple of hours free on one day - do you think we'll be able to see Edinburg?

No.

- My distant relatives come from a town called Basildon in Essex County - are there any attractive sites nearby like condos with thatched roofs?

Mmmmmm.... no. But you might pick up some lovely fake burberry clothing.

- I would love to have tea while I'm over there - can you arrange with Buckingham Palace to have tea with the queen (even Prince Charles would do)?

Oh... errrr... let me think..... No!