Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London/Edinburgh Itinerary: Comments or Advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We are going to London and Edinburgh for about 10 days in Late September. We've booked most of the necessities (apartment in Pimlico for a week, B&B in Edinburgh). There are 3 of us, 2 adult sisters bringing Dear Old Dad to the UK to celebrate his 75th birthday.

We're starting to finalize our itinerary so I wanted to float it out here. We're not looking to see every site, and want to leave plenty of time for just walking around neighborhoods and exploring. Also, any recommendations on pubs/restaurants in our general location would be appreciated.

Day 1 (Thursday): Arrive London in the morning (8:30-9:00). Check in apartment, Afternoon hop-on hop-off tour to get overview of city.

Day 2 (Friday): Tower of London in the morning. Afternoon spent exploring our neighborhood.

Day 3 (Saturday): Westminster Abbey/Cabinet War Rooms/Birthday Dinner (recommendations? Thinking Rules)

Day 4 (Sunday): Covent Garden Area/Lunch/St Paul's/Evening Pub Tour

Day 5 (Monday): Morning Open/ afternoon Buckingham Palace, Changing of Guard

Day 6 (Tuesday): Day Trip to HMS Victory

Day 7 (Wednesday): Walking Tour (recommendations?) or Trip to Hampton court

Day 8 (Thursday): Morning Train to Edinburgh (arrive 2:00 pm)—Should we go ahead and book tix?/ Check into B&B near Princes Street/ Afternoon hop-on tour of Edinburgh

Day 9 (Friday): Royal Mile/Castle

Day 10 (Saturday): Morning spent along Princes Street/Afternoon train back to London/ Arrive London evening and check into Victoria Park Plaza.

Day 11 (Sunday): Gatwick Express from Victoria to Airport
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM

Your overall plan si very good - leaving room to add things and not too rushed.

Just a few minor comments: Are you staying in an individually owned flat or at an apartment hotel (Dolphin Sq) in Pimlico? It is fairly likely you cannot check in til the afternoon -- but if it is Dolphin Sq you can leave your bags w/ the concierege and head out. if it is a private apartment, that is more of a problem. If you went through a rental agency, you can probably leave your bags there. Of course you might be lucky and be able to get your room early.

On Monday you say you are going to B'ham Palace and the changing of the Guard in the afternoon. The Guard change is in the morning. Do you mean touring the palace or simply seeing it from the outside? If touring, do you already have your tix? I'd probably book tickets for the first tour at 9:30 a.m. and then I'd be back outside the palace in time to view the guard change.

Rules is a great choice for a special dinner

In Edinburgh - head up to the castle first and then walk down the Royal Mile from there. Otherwise you are walking up hill all day . . . . .
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Janis. We are staying at a private apartment. The agency is picking us up from the airport, so I assume we'll be getting to the apartment directly. I recall now about the changing of the guard being around 11-11:30. We thought we'd get tickets to tour the palace afterward. I'll check availability. And definitely we'll start at the top of the hill in Edinburgh!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:42 AM

As for train booking. etc. See what kind of discounted fares available (www.nationalrail.co.uk) are actually available and if willing to put up with non-changeable, non-refundable tickets and then consider BritRailpass - of interest because the 3rd person on a pass pays 50% of what the first two do (actually the 3rd thru ninth person)
A 4-day BritRail flexi (2 month period) runs $265 in 2nd class and $395 in first class - it can also be used on the Gatwick Express - one day each way from airport one day each to/from Edinburgh - Gatwick fares are over $20 each way - so for three people 2nd class you'd pay, for the pass $662.50 or about $221 p.p. - the price you have to beat with discounted tickets (or actually figuring Gatwick Express $20 or so - $181 for both ways to Edinburgh - possible if you can book but if not the pass plays in - and can be used on any train any time - just show up or reserve free by 6pm the night before. Passes in US major dealer is RailEurope - i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387) because they don't charge some of RE's mailing fees and are UK trains experts. You might also investigate flying. the train trip is nice after you get beyond York - goes along coast much of way - was just voted UK's most scenic rail line by some magazine readers! anyway check out both passes and nationalrail.co.uk and do what's best for you. If flexibility, refundability not a factor go for cheapest. First class by the way is far superior to standard class on these trains, especiall for ole pops - physically challenged folks may have trouble getting into and out of some seats in standard class.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the train info. I've been checking the fares and trying to figure out between buying tickets or doing passes. Particulary if we add the trip to the Victory, that might put us over the threshold. Thanks for the advice about 1st class as well. Something to think about.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:27 PM

I don't like telling people not to do something they've planned, but (IMO) the changing of the guard is highly overrated. One has to arrive very early; it gets very crowded and is difficult too see much at all.Just thinking of Dear Old Dad standing around for a long period of time and then missing most of the action.

The rest of your itinerary is quite doable.Do get tickets for the Palace. Rules is an excellent choice for a birthday dinner. When booking advise them of the celebration.

Lucky Dad! Have a great trip.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM

I agree w/ historytraveler re the Changing of the Guard. It is just too time intensive and uncomfortable standing out on the pavement waiting for things to get started. If you book your Palace tour for after standing outside for 2 hours it will definitely take some of the pleasure from the visit. If you go on the Palace tour around 9:30 or 10 a.m. you will come out on Buckingham Gate near to Birdcage Walk and you can catch a glimpse of the change. Otherwise - I'd skip the changing of the Guard all together.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Believe me Janis and historytraveler, I have no burning desire to see the Changing of the Guard, just thought if we were going to the palace anyway, we'd try to work around it. Good point about going on the tour of the palace earlier. I'll check for tickets.