London designer discount shopping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hesitate to post this, given the situation with the GBP and the dollar. However, once a shopper...

Are there any designer discount shops you'd recommend? I'm not looking for teen or 20-something latest fads...my children are older than that...nor classic Burberry, etc. Interesting, unusual things. And shoes, of course. As you'll note, I'm in San Francisco, where we wear all colors, as long as they're black.

Perhaps there are shops that have good sales in March as opposed to being discount.

Or should I save my pennies?

Thank you.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 03:35 PM

The exchange rate is so awful that I didn't buy anything to speak of.. why spend twice the money??? I justified a little shopping when we got back to the USA! I'd say save your pence or pennies!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Have you shopped at TK MAXX yet? Wonderful bargains on designer stuff. I got my favourite CK handbag there for 30 pounds. Great clothes, shoes and household goods. A friend told me that they have just opened a new store in Hammersmith, can't wait to get there in 3 weeks
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:15 AM

OOPS! forgot to post the url!!!

http://www.tkmaxx.com/index.asp

You can check the location of all their stores. Have fun!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.

Any more suggestions? The trip draws near and the dollar is a bit better.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM

In a word, no.

Brits really aren't into designers much, and the whole retail system is universally more about consistent prices, rather than outrageous prices followed by severe markdowns. "Sales" in March are almost always fake.

There's a list of all the UK's factory outlets and outlet villages at www.fashion-era.com/factory_outlets_shopping.htm.

The closest outlet village to London is at Bicester, around 80 miles away. It often has good value on basics, and Mrs F claims you can get the odd goodie on Thursdays and Fridays.

But IMHO, a visitor here who trudged that far out of her way would be absolutely barmy. Looking for discount designer stuff in or near London is as perverse as looking for medieval churches in New York.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 12:58 AM

"Brits really aren't into designers much"

Flanneruk, my dear, explain Bond St., Sloane St., Savile Row, Jermyn St., Brompton Road.....

Prada, Gucci, MiuMiu, Dunhill, Asprey (yes they do offer a small clothing capsule collection now for both men and women), Versace, Dolce & Gabbana..... maybe you would consider these high st., but for most Brits I assure you that these are designer.

Sales are always false in the sense that you are buying a previous season's styles, which in my eyes is relatively pointless, unless you are purchasing very classic, or little items such as hosiery, "white shirts", "black dress" style things.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 01:35 AM

SFWoman; there will be no sales in March; sales periods are strictly regulated in the UK. There are a few shops that sell last season's designer clothes; there's one in Belgravia, on the corner of Halkin Street (which is by the way a very nice area, also check out Motcomb Street), and another one on the Kings Road, somewhere near the Bluebird, on the other side of the road.
But must say, if you're from San Francisco, you will find better prices at home!
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 01:48 AM

Have you come across Designer Warehouse Sales in London? The website is dwslondon.co.uk but if you search under the above name, it will come up. Its not a shop as such but they have big sales several times a year and are well worth a visit. Check the website for dates of forthcoming sales.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:01 AM

Don't know about women's clothing, but there's an outlet store for Paul Smith on Avery Row, nearly S. Moulton Street.

There you'll find Brown's (a bit pricey).

I remember that the Time Out guide to London has fairly extensive listings regarding discount designer shopping possibilities.
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Brown's is not pricey for what it sells - their prices are RRP, and in a few cases, slightly below other retailers. Their stock is superb for both mens and womens fashions, they stock designers that no other shops do - superb.
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 02:41 AM

Take a trip to Orlasndo FL and really get hter bargasins, you might even gert some of them online.Look up Premium Outlet malls and some others
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
avalon: This thread is seven years old . . .