London: day trip to Paris?

Feb 11th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

London: day trip to Paris?

My original plan was to go from Bath to Cardiff and Gower Peninsula, catching sights on the way. Now that I've seen how reasonable the Eurostar fares to Paris are, I'm tempted! And there's a late return on Friday night, which would be when we'd go.

How many of you have done this day trip, and what do you think of the idea?
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Have you been to Paris before and/or will you able to go again in the near future?
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM
BigRedFlash71

Tough decison. In the end, I probably wouldn't do it. Here's why:

1. You're going to burn AT LEAST 6 hours round-trip on a train that day, barring delays, which I don't think are necessarily common, but they do happen.

2. $$$ - I know you said you're getting a good deal on tickets, but it's still a lot of money to pay for what amounts to less than a day, realistically about 12-14 hours at best.

3. 1 day in Paris!!!?? I mean, it will take you that long just to realize you're there. Besides, how do you pick what to see in that short of a time?

Basically, Paris is anything but a day trip. I think Elaine is on to something. If you can go back in the near future I would definitely skip Paris on this trip and go there for a week or so on the next visit, which still isn't enough time to see it. If this is a "once in a lifetime" trip, then I might consider going.

Don't rule out spending more time in London. I don't know if you've been there before or how much time you're planning on being there on this trip, but all in all I've spent over a month in London and I still haven't seen it all...OR, skip Bath and Cardiff and pick up a couple of days in Paris. Now that's more like it. Tough call.

Feb 11th, 2004, 01:30 PM

You don't say how long you will be in the UK, or if you have been there before, but ignoring that, I say go for it.

You should be able to have a lot of fun in Paris in 12 hours and you are the one that knows if you enjoy quick visits like that.

Keith
Feb 12th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Luckily I found a thread from last November. Don't know why I didn't find it first time I searched. I have been to Paris, 15 years ago. I'm just being open to the possibility.

This will be a short trip, 7 full days plus two travel days. We've booked 3 nights in London, then will go to Bath to visit my sister and her family. Bath is so close to Wales, and my son really wants to go to Wales, so we thought we'd pop over to Cardiff, etc. before heading back to London. That still might be the best plan for this trip. If BA keeps coming up with these great fares, we can go again soon.

Thanks for your responses.
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:02 AM

Based on what you have planned for a 7-day trip, I would not take a day trip to Paris. Paris is my favorite city in the world but there is so much to see and do in London and you will be doing quite a bit of running around otherwise. Spend the extra day in London.
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:05 AM

I'm planning a day trip when I go to UK this Spring. I've read where others have. I love Paris and just can't be that close and not go. But, I've got an 11 day trip with 6 full days in London (not including my day to Paris). I don't need to "see" anything in Paris. I just need an occasional Paris fix.
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi judy,

I suggest thatyou skip Paris on this trip.

You don't have that much time in the UK, and a whirlwind trip to Paris will not make your vacation more relaxing.
Feb 12th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Everybody's circumstances are different, so nobody else can tell you what you want to do. The journey time is now about 2 hours 35 mins, so a day trip is quite easy to do. You need to work out whether the fare and the time are worth it for you. I live in London and visit Paris once or twice a year, so I wouldn't now do a day trip, but only you can decide whether a day trip is worthwhile. My first trip to Paris was a day trip, travelling overnight, and I managed a boat trip, the Eiffel Tower and Champs Elysées, and thought it was worthwhile.
Feb 12th, 2004, 06:18 AM

I've thought about it myself from time to time. I wouldn't rule it out necessarily. The following has occurred to me:
I know Paris pretty well, so if I had a day I'd pick a specific destination or two, and feel comfortable. I wouldn't feel compelled to sprint all over the city trying to see several of the famous sights. Also, I wouldn't waste any time if I encountered a long entrance line (such as at the Eiffel Tower)--I'd just skip it. I would though want to have a route of some sort in mind, so as to not try to cover the whole city and waste too much time in the metro.

If the Louvre or Orsay museum are places you really want to go, buy a one-day Museum Card at your arrival station.
It will help you go past the worst of any waiting lines at those two places.

I wouldn't want to feel "homeless" all day, so I'd have in mind a comfortable cafe (even one inside a museum) where I could relax for an hour and regroup. Even a nice hotel lobby can be a good place to relax, have a drink, use the restroom.

If weather is terrible I wouldn't want to go--to me, no point in going for the day if the weather were too awful or if I were going to get soaked.

Feb 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, I like your approach of planning what to see. I didn't plan to set foot in the metro unless absolutely necessary. There is the option of a bus tour. I did that once and all I remember is the Church of the Sacred Heart (pardon my lack of French!) and the views from that hill. I went back to see it at night, then visited Monmartre, where I had the best "street crepe" of the entire trip, and those were mostly all I ate. I think I'll explore the stay-overnight Eurostar fare just for the heck of it.

If my sister in Bath is eager to go to Paris, we will. Otherwise we'll stick to the Wales trip plan.