London Bus

Mar 29th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Betty

London Bus

Ok, you answered my question on the London tube. You brought up the bus and my new question is - can I ride the bus from an area like Victoria station to Harrods, or to Madame Tussaud, or Kensington Palace. Maybe that would be less complicated for me (and more fun since I can see the sites more). Can I also ride the bus from Victoria Station to Waterloo station or Euston station?

Mar 29th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Ellen

In general, the buses run along major roads, rather than between tube stations.

My usual (very touristy) strategy is to get out the map, put one index finger on my starting point and the other on my destination, and see which lines connect them! At the bus stops in London you'll find useful information like which routes stop there. Here's a link to an online bus map, but as with the tube map, the pre-printed versoin is much more user-friendly. Some people find it fun to just ride a bus to the end of the line and back again, but be sure you're prepared for whatever zone that is!

I'm sure the actual Londoners on the board can supplement this.

http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk...s/centlond.pdf

Mar 29th, 2002, 07:59 AM
janis

I ride buses in London a lot - but for the first time traveler the Tube is actually simpler. The tube map may look confusing from afar but it is really easy to use.

Some specific bus routes are great for tourists - but the tube is generally more straightforward and faster. As you get a feel for the city you will probably use some buses but rely more on the tube.

Mar 29th, 2002, 10:40 AM
busman

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:29 AM
wes fowler

Betty,
If you have been confused by London's underground system, which with Paris' is one of the world's best, you'll be overwhelmed by London's bus system.

You can indeed bus from Victoria Station to Madame Tussaud's on the number 2 line. Considering that there are 17 distinctive lines originating or passing through Victoria Station. Any bus ride from Victoria to Harrod's will involve a change of buses. So too will a ride to Kensington Palace. All three locations are in fairly close proximity to underground stations; stick with the tube!

If you want to do a little sightseeing on a London bus, take the number 11 bus at Victoria station that has the sign "Liverpool Station" on its front. It'll take you past Westminster Cathedral, the Houses of Parliament, Horse Guards and the Banqueting House, Trafalgar Square, the Royal Courts of Justice and St. Paul's. Get off the bus at St. Paul's and pick up the number 15 bus with the destination "Paddington". It'll take you to Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus and Marble Arch. With these two routes you'll have seen almost every major LOndon attraction, save Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and Harrod's.

Mar 29th, 2002, 11:44 AM
sandra

Betty, if bus or tube routes seem overwhelming, may I suggest a taxi cab? London taxi cabs are fantastic, the drivers are very professional and courteous, and the rides are surprisingly affordable. I'm not suggesting it would be as affordable as taking a bus or the tube, but in instances where you are behind in your sightseeing schedule or just want to get from A to B without having to figure out a route, the London cabbies get an A+.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:07 PM
MillyMollyMandy

In London, I usually just hop on any bus that's going in my direction. If it goes out of my way, I just get off and get on another one.... also, ask people if you are unsure which bus goes where. In spite of what you sometimes read on this board most Londoners are friendly and will do their best to help a lost tourist.

Mar 29th, 2002, 02:41 PM
rand

Our last trip to London I found a free foldout map in the lobby of the bus lines in the city core. It was colour coded and very easy to understand. We had planned to and bought seven day travelcards for zone one. It was so easy to hop on and off buses at will. We found it much more enjoyable to see London from the top of a double decker than from 1,000 steps under the earth. My only problem with the free map was that it wasn't waterproof.

Mar 30th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Lilian

Going to London in june Do you think its a good idea to buy a weekly pass for tube and bus staying in kensington next to glos rd tube what is the best bus to get on to go to trafalger sq and other sights thanks.

Mar 30th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Jeff

Two great bus lines in London:

1. #12 From Notting Hill Gate via Bayswater Rd. which becomes Oxford St. to Oxford Circus right turn on Regents St. to Picadilly Circus right turn on the Haymarket to Trafalger Sq. then through the Square down Whitehall past the Government ministries to Westminster (Abbey, Parliament, Big Ben) left turn across Westminster Bridge (London Eye and Aquarium) several blocks from Waterloo Station to Elephant & Castle (Imperial War Museum). Just like the more touristy tour buses you can hop on and off to your heart's content.

Or from Marble Arch

Hop on the #15 follows same route as #12 to Trafalger Square but then turns towards the Strand past the Aldwych Theatre via Fleet Street and heads towards the Tower of London and Tower Bridge passing St. Paul's and Fleet Street.

The bus stops in London have maps making it very clear which lines stop there and at other stops which have letters and may be a block away. If you have a travelcard and make a mistake, so what. Just hop off, walk back a block or two and catch a different line. It is really a great way to see the city and sightsee for next to nothing assuming you will have gotten a travelcard anyway.

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:03 PM
rand

Lilian, you asked if it is best to buy a one week pass. You did not say if you are staying for a week. If yes, then yes. If no, then maybe.

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:31 PM
Lilian

Im confused when you buy a 7 day pass is it good for the tube and buses and for tube use is it after 9:30am only, and are buses for any times and any route. Thanks

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:18 AM
Patrick Wallace

Lilian
the weekly pass is valid for all tube, bus and surface rail services (and one-third off riverboat services) within the zones you've paid for, at all times. The 9.30 restriction only applies to one-day passes.

There's no direct bus from Gloucester Road to Trafalgar Square. You'd need to take the 74 to Hyde Park Corner , and from there a 9.

You get the full picture from the 'horse's mouth' at http://www.transportforlondon.gov.uk/buses/index.shtml. You can download the visitor's guide and maps to print now.