London at Christmas

Search

London at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London at Christmas

We will be staying in the city from 12/22 - 12/27 over Christmas, with our son who is 9.
We are splitting our stay in two hotels, the Marriott Country Hall for two days and the Langham Hilton for 3 days over Christmas itself.

How limited are our choices of activities on days like Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing day? Are most restaurants open or closed? Museums? Etc.?
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 08:33 AM

Both of your hotels are very good.

Just about EVERYTHING is closed on Christmas Day and many are closed on Boxing Day. A few restauransts do Christmas lunch - but the vast majority are closed. All museums are closed and there is no theatre. There are no buses (well a very few buses), no tube, no trains. So Xmas day will be a walking day - most large hotels put on special meals since very little is open.

Christmas Eve is not such a problem. many shops close early but most things are open at least part of the day.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:01 AM

Boxing Day, 26 December, is pretty dead, too. More walking.

[email protected]
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:17 AM

County Hall - the surrounding area has limited attractions, and the Langham Hilton is not a top hotel.

Perhaps for a little extra you would prefer to stay at somewhere of the calibre of Claridges - London isn't really a two centre destination.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

we are using hotel points instead of cash, which limits our hotel options, but hey, it's free so can't complain too much.

any suggestions for good websites to watch for special holiday events, closing times etc.?

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM

The major museums are closed Dec. 24, 25 & 26. That includes the British Museum, Natural History Museum, and Science Museum (Lord of the Rings exhibition), and the Tower of London-all unforunately which I'm sure your son would enjoy.

There is at least these Christmas Eve theatre matinees available-The Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (also the 26th) and Peter Pan at the Savoy on Dec. 26.

There is always the Chrismas ice rink behind Somerset House.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:01 AM

remember that london is a city to walk anyways...do that and enjoy...just plan your food in advance...the hotels will help...county hall is fabulous---it used to be the main county miniciple building until a few years ago and the london eye (i) is right there (ferris wheel)..you and you son will love it....consider the london zoo as a destination and there are a couple of childrens museums (one small one i remember in the east end of london....toys i think....)
take him to harrods toy department when you first arrive----if there is anything left....you will be horrified at the english prices....

with things closed it should be even a more lovely city...walk up regent street and see the lites, look at the window at fortnum and mason's and lots of other store...liberty i think has nice windows on regent st....

i do not know the langham hilton but it can't be all that bad....complain if you don't like your room and they will move you.....
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:57 PM

Don't let the comment about the County Hall area having limited attractions worry you. I cannot think of a better location for a stay especially with a child. It is right on the river, directly across from Big Ben, next door to the London Eye, close to a couple of train stations, and a short walk across the river to Westminster pier for river boat trips, plus the views from most rooms is sublime. Seeing illuminated parliament and Big Ben and hearing the chimes will be memories you will treasure.

And the hotel is VERY nice - you will love it.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM

Was in London last Dec 27 and walked through Oxford Street department stores, all were mobbed because of the traditional day after boxing day sales. Kids may not like it but it was a festive atmosphere, with everyone seemingly in a buying frenzy, so the sales must be bargains.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replys. I checked some ticket sites and think we will try to pick up advance tickets to a show on the 24th and/or 26th. Will get all our Museum etc. visits in on the 22-23rd.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:58 PM

Justame,

I think the London Aquarium is open on Boxing Day (you may want to confirm by email to [email protected]).

Not that there is anything particularly "London" about this attraction, but it certainly is an interesting way to spend part of the day with a 9 year old. It is located right next to your first hotel at County Hall.

David White
[email protected]

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:14 PM

My family and I stay at the Marriott County Hall every time we visit London (I travel a lot and redeem all of my Marriott Rewards Points there). My kids, ages 5 & 9, absolutely love it. We start and end every day with a beautiful view of Big Ben, Parliament and the Themes. Our trips wouldn't be as memorable staying anywhere else.

GJ40