Reload this Page >

London (and more) Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:44 AM
Henry

We have a 2.5 week trip pretty well laid out for late May/early June. Have a couple of specific questions, and any other comments/tips would be welcome.<BR><BR>London - Staying for 5 days. On day two, have tickets for the Chelsea flower show. On last evening, have tickets for a Bruce Springsteen concert. Would like to go on at leat daytrip. Have been to York, Oxford, Stratford, Cotswolds on previous trips. Leaning towards Cambridge for this visit, with Canterbury second in appeal. How does that sound. Also, is Greenwich close enough that with an early morning start, half day is enough?<BR><BR>Malta - Staying for 7 days. Most likely staying in Valletta even though most hotels are away form there. We like history, old architecture, plus plan to take the bus a lot - and the main station is in Valletta.<BR><BR>Tunis - Staying for 4 days. Will stay in Tunis the entire time. Planning a day trip to Carthage/Sidi Bou Said. Have read about Kirouan, which sounds interesting, but not sure if that would leave enough time (2 days) in Tunis.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Bill

<BR>Yes on the Greenwich question, via boat on the Thames.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:55 AM
xxx

More options for getting to Greenwich from London:<BR>via Jubilee Line tube<BR>via Docklands Light Railway<BR>via train from Charing Cross , Waterloo, Cannon Street, or London Bridge Stations

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
Jen

The Thames boat ride is fun, but if you only want to allot a half-day then definitely the tube/DLR is the way to go. Greenwich is in tube Zone 2 -- not that far at all. The DLR is new and shiny and different, but functionally it's really just another line in the tube system. Unlike the Jubilee line, it has stops actually in the parts of Greenwich that tourists want to visit. Whether a half-day is enough depends entirely on how much you want to do, there's certainly plenty to fill a whole day.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM
aj

Henry,<BR><BR>Wow! I have always wanted to go to the Chelsea flower show. Please post a report after the trip! I can only watch on HGTV. We really enjoyed Greenwich. We took the Tube/train and it was a very short trip. The town is fun to walk around in. There is a great art store with antique book prints if you like that kind of thing. Also the Maritime museum and the Royal Observatory are very interesting. Have a wonderful time.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:50 AM
janis

I agree w/ the others - take teh tube or DLR. The boat trip is nice -- in sunny weather -- but would take a long time.<BR><BR>You will LOVE Chelsea. But be prepared for HUGE crowds. Be patient and you will see everything. <BR><BR>Either Cambridge or Canterbury would be a good day trip. I would lean slightly to Cambridge. My only caveat is that Cambridge and Oxford are very similar - colleges, rivers, punts etc. So if you wanted something different Canterbury would be great. <BR><BR>a (hopefully) helpful suggestion -- your other 2 questions are about Malta and Tunis and most people attracted to your thread because of &quot;London&quot; in the title will not have much info about those two places. You might have better luck if you started a new thread for those questions.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:10 PM
Judy

I spent half a month traveling in Tunisia last November. For old architecture,go to Kairouan( the medina is far less commercialized than in Tunis,and the grand mosque is most beautiful).For Roman ruins,the site in Bulla Regia is the most impressive in the world (Carthage is no comparision). Both places could be reached by public transportations. There are so many other interesting places to see, one day in Tunis is quite enough.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:26 AM
Henry

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.<BR><BR>In London, other than the two events we have tickets for, we plan to pick out a few sights that we want to hit for sure, and play the rest by ear. For our day trip, we can decide exactly where to go at the last minute. This will be my third time in London, and have thought of going to Greenwich each time before, but never made it. Time is London was only about 3 days each trip.<BR><BR>Judy, we can do the same in Tunisia re: playing it by ear, as far as a trip to Kirouan is concerned. We can see how much we like Tunis, and decide whether to give up a day there for Kirouan. Kirouan is about 2.5 hours from Tunis, so it is a bit long for a day trip, but doable. It is about at the far end of how long I'd travel for a day trip. We get up early, so can leave Tunis asap for a day trip.