Reload this Page >

Ambien, Miracle Drug?

Search

Ambien, Miracle Drug?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
quinty

Ambien, Miracle Drug?

I'd never heard of this before. How long does this last? I am flying LA-Detroit (4hrs 30mins) and then Detroit-Paris (7 hrs 50 mins). Can I use an Ambien on both legs of the trip or does it last longer than that? <BR>I broke up this flight (could've taken direct) cuz I get really antsy on planes. It's the 28 year old that's really kicking the back of your seats, not the 4 year old! )

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Carol

I think the stuff is great, especially to &quot;re-set you clock&quot;, but I don't know about using it on a flight...If you read the instructions/warnings it states you shouldn't be drowsy BUT you must have at least 7 hrs of sleeptime. I've never had that much undisturbed time on a plane, myself. Pharmacists are very helpful.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:09 AM
janeygirl

I used Ambien last August flying Chicago-Paris and it worked great for me. As others on this board have warned, however, try it out at home before your trip since different people have different experiences with this drug.<BR><BR>For me, I fall asleep in about 15 minutes so I waited until we were in the air before taking a dose (what a drag if I'd taken it before takeoff and then had a delay, plane change, etc.). I also ate before getting on the plane and skipped the onboard meal - no big sacrifice in my opinion.<BR><BR>I awakened about an hour before landing, had breakfast on the plane and felt great.<BR><BR>The only other thing I wish I'd done was taken another Ambien my first night in Paris. I think that would have gotten me on track right away. Unfortunately, I drank some wine that evening and didn't want to mix Ambien with alcohol.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Erin

Don't you have to get a Rx for Ambien? The only thing it would be good for is making your flights go quicker. Its also for people with chronic sleep problems, so I don't know if a doctor would give it to you for a flight. I take Melatonin when I travel- its a hormone you can buy over the counter that does a really god job of 'resetting your clock'. I asked my doctor about it and she said its not a bad thing to take- just don't take it all the time.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:11 AM
roco

Qinty,<BR><BR>First of all, do a search for &quot;Ambien&quot;....there are pages and pages of answers to this question. There are no &quot;right&quot; answers, just lots of opinions. <BR><BR>I printed them out, read them all, and then ordered 5 mg for my first flight overseas (from the west coast). By the way, you order them by the quantity you wish: they are about $2.50 per teeeny pill.<BR><BR> The pharmacist told me to be &quot;ready&quot; to go to sleep, because they were fast acting. Although, everything that I have read says: &quot;No alcoholic beverages&quot; on overseas flights to avoid jet lag&quot; ......I was definitely not able to pass up several glasses of red wine and Bailey's after dinner. <BR><BR>When I was &quot;ready&quot;, I put on the eye shades, ear plugs, and had my new glow-in-the-dark-at-the-push-of-a-button Timex ready to time my Ambien-induced slumber. Total time in slumber: 4 hours of sound sleep.<BR><BR>Since I have never slept for a second on a plane....I considered this a miracle.<BR><BR>I wouldn't bother on cross-country flight, but you have nothing to lose on long flight. This drug was designed for &quot;flights&quot;.....

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 11:59 AM
ks

Try one before you go to see how you react to it. Then you will have more of an idea of how soon to take it before the flight. <BR>My doctor gave me Xanax because I am now a basket case and need the hard stuff, but Ambien has been praised by a few of my traveling friends.<BR>Thanks for telling on yourself. I will be on the lookout for that long legged d 28 year old

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Howard

Despite what you may infer from some of the previous posts, you need a prescription in the US for Ambien.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Maya

How about Sonata? It works great and doesn't give you that &quot;heavy&quot; feeling that Ambien does. It also leaves your system more quickly. I find that it works better on the shorter red eye flights.<BR><BR>However, as with Ambien, you need a prescription in the U.S..

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Linda

As a chronic insomniac, I'm all too familiar with both Ambien and Sonata. Both require a prescription in the US, and both work great. The only problem with both is that you can develop a dependency if you use them for more than 2 weeks straight. Ambien lasts about 7-8 hours, while Sonata lasts about 4-5. I wouldn't take Ambien on a transAtlantic flight, as the flight wouldn't last that long. I would take Sonata only if I felt I'd have trouble sleeping otherwise on the flight.<BR><BR>Some friends have suggested that Tylenol PM is a safe over-the-counter sleep aid for occasional use. Never tried it, though.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Nancy

It is easy enough to ask your doc for a prescription for Ambien saying that you are in need of help getting on an airplane. My doctor takes it himself!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:34 PM
to

topping for drugs

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Sandy

I took it on my last trip - Chicago to London. Problem was that the two people next to me had to get up FREQUENTLY - 4times during the trip, which stopped me from sleeping soundly. I would NOT use Ambien on both legs - only the Detroit/Paris leg. Also, yes, it is fast acting - 15 min to 1/2 hour. I also take it first night overseas and first night of return.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:44 PM
quinty

It is often referenced that a prescription is needed for Ambien and Sonata &quot;in the US.&quot; Is it different in Europe? Can I just walk in to a pharmacy and ask for them?

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:42 PM
ttt

Good question quinty!<BR>To the top???????????????????<BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Xenos

It would be interesting to know how many people that are currently suing the airlines for DVT took one of these drugs during their flight. Surely remaining in the same position for such a long time can't be good for you?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 01:54 AM
move

Exactly right, Xenos.<BR><BR>Fine for sleeping in a bed with your legs extended but there is no way I would sit for 6 to 8 hours without moving. Just asking for trouble . Sleep as much as you can,get some sun on arrival , move around, make an early night of it, then your body clock will reset itself.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM
steve

Even if you didn't take an Ambien or sleep aide, you could sleep through a flight and perhaps be one of the very few unlucky ones who has a blood clot. How convenient to be able to sue someone for it though! Typical litigious society that thinks that way, no?<BR>Yes, quinty, codeine and a variety of drugs are sold over the counter in Canada and Europe. None have such stringent and sometimes maddening Federal restraints as the US.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 06:42 AM
my

You could sue whether or not you took a sleep aid. The suits are against the airlines for restricted space..personally I hope they all win and maybe we'll all get a few more inches.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:08 PM
sandi

I use Ambien, with a prescription, but wouldn't mind a few extras, just in case. Does anyone know if you can buy it anywhere else, without a prescription, and if so, what is it called. (by the way, you can get any antibiotics, or anything else, for that matter, over the counter in Mexico.<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:24 PM
Sandy

I used Ambien on an 8 hour flight from Moscow to Eastern Russia. Of the 4 of us sitting in the rear nonsmoking section of the Aeroflot (i.e., right in front of the smoking section), I was the only one who got any sleep. I used it on my first night after arrival, and again got a good night's sleep and woke ready to begin work. Sandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -