London and ?

Aug 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

London and ?

I am thinking about another solo trip to London. Seems like I've been about a dozen times, but I love it and keep going back. I like to combine it with another destination. Once I took the Eurostar for a night in Paris. Last year, I flew Easyjet to Barcelona and spent a few days. Been to Manchester, York and Edinburgh also.

Middle-aged lady. Like to mostly wander around and absorb the culture. Will do whatever there is to do wherever I am - museums, parks, architecture, walks, etc. Love good food. Probably 5 days in London and 3-4 days elsewhere. Traveling in Nov/Dec or Jan/Feb most likely. No car, but public transportation okay.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM

If you wanted to get out of London then i would make a trip to York and ancient Roman settlement and a beautiful City.

A trip to mainland Europe should include Florence. A tip if you do go and visit the Uffzi (spelling incorect) gallery is buy tickets in the morning to enter in the afternoon.

It's difficult to discern much culture in London these days, but your visits should include Tate modern, the National, Spitalfields market to name but a very few
Aug 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Oxford? Easy to get to from London even if the weather is bad.Brighton - totlly different culture.

Birmingham? It has museums, the jewelry quarter and a quite distinctive accent.
Aug 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM

There are now hourly trains to Chester from Euston.
The journey just takes two hours.

I must be getting old and scratchy but I get increasingly mystified by some postings.

"A tip if you do go and visit the Uffzi (spelling incorect"
???????"

and "It's difficult to discern much culture in London these days, but your visits should include Tate modern, the National..... " What a strange statement and the National what? gallery, theatre?

Yes, I am definitely turning into a grumpy old woman ;-)
Aug 14th, 2010, 12:07 AM

Bath is a wonderful city, not too far from London and a wonderful place to wander around. The highlight is the Roman Baths, 2000 years old and still in amazingly good condition.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/England_1.htm
http://visitbath.co.uk/
Aug 14th, 2010, 02:06 AM

A few options with great museums, parks and architecture and good bus or train links

Oxford, the new Ashmolean is to die for
York, the old city walls, buildings and museums are good
Lincoln, (see York)only a bit smaller

All three knock Bath and Birmingham into a cocked hat
Aug 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM

"Difficult to discern much culture in London...."

Where were you looking? Please elaborate, I need a laugh.
Aug 14th, 2010, 05:52 AM

I recommend Bath too. I was just there for one night, but would love to go back. However, you are going in Nov/Dec, Jan/Feb so the weather won't be fantastic. I remember this last Feb being miserable in London.

Maybe southern Spain - Seville? Portugal?

DueDili - I agree with Cathinjoetown, where were you looking????
Aug 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Well, London's a cultural wilderness innit?
No theatre, no museums or art galleries.
Absolutely no music.

How about Rome?
At that time of year you will actually be able to see things instead of having to crane your neck over hoards of tourists.

BTW, if you know that you are spelling something incorrectly, why not go to that new fangled Google thing and check it?
Aug 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Here's a suggestion if you're at all interested in fossils & geology: make your way to Lyme Regis on the Dorset coast. It's a lovely little town and the winter months are supposed to be best for fossil hunting.

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/...is_fossils.htm
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM

I went last year alone for the first time to London and did daytrips to Oxford and Bath. I loved them both. I was there 11 days and I can see why you keep returning. I can't wait to go back.
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:21 PM

Also, if you ever go at a suitable time of year, go to Cornwall. I absolutely loved it.
Aug 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM

I agree about visiting Bath. It's a beautiful city with lots to see.

If you're thinking of going over to mainland Europe, Florence is fab.

Sorry, nothing original from me - just agreeing with other opinions! Do try Bath though. It's really worth a visit.
Aug 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM

The OP is thinking about 3-4 days;
if travel outside England is not a problem:
Amsterdam, Rome , Seville, Prague , Vienna , Dubrovnik, Milan, Majorca, Nice... all much more interesting than Bath or Oxford.
Aug 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM

As another solo, middle-aged traveling lady, I am interested to see what catches your fancy

Once I took the Eurostar for a night in Paris.

Only "for a night"? Perhaps a repeat, multi-night visit is in order? Utilizing an open-jaw flight, to avoid backtracking.

Or, as you indicate traveling in the shorter-day months, going to southern Europe seems reasonable. But, in many respects, for just a few days available to travel, so does sticking to England.

Glad you get to enjoy some choosing! Cheers.
Aug 14th, 2010, 11:43 PM

I'm also a middle-aged lady and I would do a repeat Paris visit. I LOVE London too, but I also love Paris and can't wait to go back. An open jaw ticket is a good suggestion. If you're looking for somewhere you haven't been, Amsterdam is an easy hop... I'm thinking about going there myself. Be sure to let us know what you decide.
Aug 15th, 2010, 03:05 AM

Here's a suggestion if you're at all interested in fossils & geology: make your way to Lyme Regis on the Dorset coast. It's a lovely little town and the winter months are supposed to be best for fossil hunting.>>>>

Shhhhh! We don't want everyone to know!

Incidentally it's where the iconic scenes by the coast in French Lieutenant's Woman were filmed.
Aug 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Danon, I must take issue with your denigration of Bath and Oxford. Both are very interesting destinations, definitely more so than Majorca and as interesting as your other suggestions. Maybe you need to take another look!
Aug 15th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Some great suggestions here. Will check into Oxford, Birmingham, Brighton, Chester, Lyme Regis, Cornwall, and Lincoln. Dubrovnik, Paris (again), Rome (again) also appeal, although Dubrovnik and Rome may involve too much traveling for this trip.

Is Brussels (or Brugge) of interest? I have mainly heard Brussels is underwhelming although Brugge is nice.

Berlin seems to be popular??

In my OP, for the sake of not providing overwhelming information, I neglected to mention all the places I've been with DH and/or my DS's. I should have mentioned that we spent a few days in Bath (very nice), and personally loved Stonehenge.

We just came back from a 2 1/2 week trip to Portugal and southern Spain, including Seville. Have spent 2+ weeks in Paris at various times, 2 weeks in Rome, 1 week in Amsterdam, few days in Prague, few days in Milan. (Also, Stockholm, Munich, Florence, Tuscany, Athens, Santorini, Shanghai/Xian/Beijing, Tokyo/Kyoto...)

MissPrism - I do believe I am getting old and scratchy as well.