Search

London airports

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
London airports

I noticed yesterday that British Air is using other airports besides Heathrow (LHR). I got connections using both LCY and LGW and a note about transfer between airports by coach or bus and at an extra charge. Can someone explain what is involved & how much of an inconvenience this is (or isn't)? Wondering if it should be avoided or is no big deal. Thank you kindly.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any switch of airports in London is highly inconvenient and should be avoided. Are you trying to connect from LHR to LCY or LGW; or between LCY and LGW?

There are frequent buses between LHR and LGW, and journey takes about 70-90 minutes. Going to LCY means going to London, take public transportation to Liverpool Street station and transfer to shuttle bus. LCY's website suggest journey time of 90-120 minutes to LHR or LGW.

Any way you look at it, you're talking 3-4 hours between flights, minimum, if you have a switch of airports in London.
Old May 18th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Heathrow to Gatwick (LGW) is a relatively painless bus - around £20 each way - that takes 90 mins-ish, subject to traffic on Europe's busiest road. This board is stuffed with discussions about it, and doubtless more will follow. Don't believe the winers: it's OK. Details at www.baa.com/heathrow

Heathrow to City (LCY) is a connection no-one should ever be asked to do . The "official" route is the £12 Heathrow Express (HEX) to Paddington , then the Circle or Hammersmith and City tube lines to Liverpool St, then the City Airport bus to City Airport. Alleged time 90-120 mins.

The HEX is fine, but extortionate, The tube link is London's most unreliable, and you have to decide which of the two lines to take (the Circle's always awful: the H+C less so, but very intermittent). The bus then fights its way through Central London traffic. Almost certainly, connecting via Tashkent is less painful.

If you really are a masochist, details are at http://www.londoncityairport.com/tra...throw/doc1.htm.

City Airport was designed for convenience to the financial district, for Continentals wanting a fast connection to their financial capital. It's not designed for international connections, and it really is ridiculous of BA to pretend it is.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM

As it's been established that transferring between London airports is a headache that noone should really contemplate when they're on holiday, perhaps you could tell us wherre your trying to fly from/get to and the nice, knowledgable lot here could recommend an alternative? Perhaps BA all the way isn't the best way to go...
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you. I figured it was not a great idea, but didn't know how much *not recommended* it would be. I appreciate your answers and will book to avoid the hassle. There was no price savings, so no point really.

rkkwan~ they used one airport going over and the other on the return on the London/Geneva, Geneva/London hops.

Kate~ BA also has Heathrow/Heathrow connections, it's just a matter of careful reading itineraries on the website. My trip is Seattle/Geneva and I've done it many times on BA and others, it is just the "new" airports being used in London threw a wrench it what would be my usual and obvious plans.

To anyone new to planning travel, booking themselves via internet, and flying BA from the States thru London... this might serve as a cautionary tale.