London Airport Hotel on Priceline

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Airport Hotel on Priceline

I have been bidding on an airport hotel at Heathrow for a month. I started at $65 and have gone up to $100 for a 4 star and the end of May. I keep getting counter offers for around $136 that I have rejected. Am I just too early to get the $65-$80 rates that I have read people are getting or could it be the time of year I am bidding for ?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I suspect you are bidding too early, I get 4* hotels in central London for $70 or $75, have got them in May, August, Sept and January. Although it's nice to have that pesky hotel business taken care of, I usually wait and bid about 1 month or less out, that way I have enough time to do counter bids and there is less chance that I would have to cancel since they are non refundable and noncancellable.

Check out www.biddingfortravel.com and view their FAQ page for more strategies.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, you are way too far out. Hotels don't release inventory to PL until they're reasonably certain they won't get a higher-paying customer that night. For a May stay try bidding around the middle of March.

If you're really worried, book a room that you can cancel once you've scored on PL.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, that answers my question. I am not really concerned because it is just a one night stay before we fly home. Looks like I got too eager in accepting 4 days at The St. James Crown Plaza. I took their $136 counter offer. Live and learn !
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Why are you bidding so high amounts on Priceline its a false economy most timees at Heathrow to use Priceline.

Check out HolidayExtras or other discount providers. The Ibis and Premier Travel Inn normally have rates about $70 many days.

The Heathrow Lodge has rates of $70 year round and includes a complementary shuttle bus.

All chain Heathrow Hotels charge $10 per transfer per person adding up to $40 for a couple before you add on breakfasts.
Its thus a false economy to bid on a random Heathrow Hotel. You might get a hotel for $70, but its a lottery if you don't pay the same again on transfers and breakfasts if you get allocated the wrong hotel.
Go to a normal discount provider with named accommodation.

Hotels like the Crowne Plaza and Novotel are in the middle of nowhere, Choose a hotel on the Bath Road, use a FREE public buses in front of the hotel which are more frquent than the hotel shuttles to the terminals and places to get your breakfast outside the exhorbitant hotel prices which vary fron £5 to £15 depending on hotel.
If you really must have breakfast in a hotel buy a deal where breakfast is bundled in the deal.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 01:04 AM

Appologies the transfer buses charge $5 per journey per person at Heathrow, not $10
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM

You can also take a look at www.hotwire.com

A couple of days ago, a colleague got the 4 star Crowne Plaza Heathrow for $54 + tax which includes complimentary swimming pool, sauna, gym, etc.

With the suggestions offered, take a look on www.tripadvisor.com and look at the reviews travellers have submitted regarding each hotel's location, amenities, & general cleanliness and this should help you

Geordie
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 01:53 AM

I'm sure the Ibis or Premier Travelodge would be fine if the original poster wants a 2* hotel, rather than a 4*.

I have been very fortunate bidding at the 3* level on Priceline for airport hotels, getting the Holiday Inn Ariel three times, a hotel which is accessible by free public bus from Heathrow. Total prices ranged from about 25 to 28 pounds for the double or twin rooms. The Ibis next door was at least 45 pounds for those same dates, with no shuttle or breakfast included either. In my case, if I had needed to take the Hoppa bus, and had paid the same Priceline room rates, I would still have come out ahead over the Ibis. That was the criteria I used when considering my bid.

I agree there is a significant risk of getting a hotel on Priceline that requires a shuttle, rather than the public bus. But I suspect the original poster would likely take a shuttle or cab in any event.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:27 AM

To underline my point about 'extras' if you take the friend of that northern hunk Geordie, his friend is staying at the Crowne Plaza for a 'bargain' $54. But its isolated next to the airport motorway interchange.

Extras make all the difference. e.g.
Hotel $54
Tax $9
Hoppa Bus shuttles $20
Breakfasts $25
Total = $107

Taking tomorrow night with HolidayExtras for tomorrow night and carefully selecting your hotel.
The Ibis has a breakfast inclusive deal of $90 (if you're collecting stars its 3 star)
Use the local buses (more frequent than the Hoppa Bus) into terminals.

Not much in it, rooms are pretty much the same you're really paying $20 for the convenience of a swimming pool and a larger lounge that warrants the extra star.
If you want an evening meal or a drink in the evening then the savings at the Ibis become immense.

If you're really picky and want the extra star the Sheraton is the same price $90 but doesn't come with breakfast bundled (cheaper than Crowne Plaza) but has the frills if you like that kind of thing. On the Bath Road so you can walk into Longford Village for cheaper/better pubs and restuarants and has free bus transfers in fronton Bath Road

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:32 AM

Some people might find the following page useful - it has a map of the Heathrow hotels and identifies which hotels have the option of free local bus transfers as an alternative to the Hoppa Bus and which are on the Bath Road:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:40 AM

Where is the $90 Ibis deal available?
On the Ibis web site for Dec. 17, I see a rate of 49.95 pounds per night, with breakfast being 6.95 pounds per person, making the breakfast-included rate for two almost 64 pounds, or $113 USD. Is there a good consolidator site for the Ibis Heathrow?

With any luck, someone who bid for a Priceline 3* might equal my deal of 25 to 28 pounds total for the Holiday Inn Ariel (a deal also obtained by numerous others) - it would certainly be worth a try compared to the Ibis. Then if you wanted their breakfast, perhaps you could run next door and buy it. Last time I stayed at the Ariel, I was lucky enough to have a pass for the Air Canada lounge, and got breakfast there.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:42 AM

Where is the $90 Ibis deal available?

http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:49 AM

The Premier Travel Inn is also available tomorrow at $90 on Active Hotels - the only reason I add this is that rooms take a family 2 adults and 2 children.
Also unlike Priceline you don't pay until you check out and you can cancel without penalty - worth money to some people.

Also tomorrow night the Holiday Inn Bathr Road is available at $49 again a fully flexible rate on the Holiday Inn web site - pay on check out.
There is a pub opposite where you can get good pub food including steaks for well under 10 GBP.

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:50 AM

I just tried that site for Ibis for Dec. 17, and get a rate of "Room Only" for 44.95 pounds. I don't see an included breakfast rate, so the 6.95 pounds per person would still apply. So that would make a double room including breakfast equivalent to almost 59 pounds, or $104 USD. It's not a terrible deal, but I'd still try to beat it with Priceline and hope for the same great results as I've had before.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:59 AM

There are 2 rates listed for the Ibis when you get the results from the query:

Ibis Heathrow = £44.95
Heathrow Ibis (Breakfast inclusive) = £50.95

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:04 AM

I'd like to see it on HolidayExtras, but what I see when I click through on Ibis Heathrow, is this (if I select Double, two adults for Dec. 17):

44.95 for Room Only
119.00 for 8 days Parking
182.95 for 15 days Parking

I don't see any other rates. If there's some way to get through to the rate you mention, please specify.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Actually, now I see what you are saying. The Heathrow Ibis (Breakfast included) is listed on a separate line for 50.95 pounds (about $90 USD). If someone prefers that to paying 25 to 28 pounds for room only, obviously that's their choice.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:10 AM

Also note the 50.95 pound rate is for a weekend stay. The weekday stay on the same site for the Ibis for a breakfast-included stay is 73.95 pounds. In the past, I succeeded at my low rates on both weekdays and weekends (but of course Priceline success cannot be guaranteed without trying).
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:23 AM

LondonSue

Let's compare apples with apples.

I'm talking about a weekday not a weekend (of course its going to be cheaper on Saturday) so lets take Monday night Ibis is 67.95 GBP no breakfast

I've never paid for a breakfast at a hotel nor likely will I, so you can take $25 off the total, now you do the maths as your pretty smart.

Your right, its a no-brainer as you mentioned on a previous thread.

To the OP, check tripadvisor.com for the different reviews, here they are anyhow for the hotels recommended

Ibis: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...x_England.html

Heathrow Lodge
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

Premier Lodge
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

Crowne Plaza
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...x_England.html

Just as a footnote if anyone is looking for 4.5 star hotel in Mayfair for next September, you can get the Hilton Waldorf for $107 +tax per night on Hotwire but no doubt other people will think your just being plain stupid!

Geordie
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Willtravel - you're obviously addicted to Priceline and of course nobody can argue with that or take it away from you.

But I though the golden rule of using Priceline was that you with some discipline research the market first to set an upper bidding ceiling. Subtracting whatever value you as an individual put on not being able to select an individual hotel with Priceline from the market price.

You seem to be using Priceline like an online poker game. Priceline must love you when they see you coming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -