London

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Wendy

London

As a frequent traveler to London, I have visited all the "big" tourist sights. What is your favorite small museum or other out of the ordinary place to visit in London?

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 12:37 PM
S. C. DIXON

Wendy: I'm not sure this will help much but I will try. <BR> <BR>Most people visit St. Paul's but few visit some of the other smaller Wren churches such as St. Mary LeBow or St.Bride's. <BR> <BR>One of my favorite places in London, as weird as it sounds, is the west side of Highgate cemetery. I've heard that St Oalof's (spelling)is also facinating. <BR> <BR>Sometimes I like the smaller museums such as Dickens house in Bloomsbury or visit a pub like The Coach in Southwark where Shakespear himself quaffed a pint or two. <BR> <BR>There is an excellent travel guide at your library (I bought my own throu Amazon) which is the London edition of the Eyewitness travel book series. It has lots and lots of things I didn't know about, tells you what the admission is, if any, and even the nearest tube stop. <BR> <BR>How many times have you been to London? <BR>What are YOUR favorite things (in case I've missed something)e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know what you do when you're in The City.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 01:45 PM
Kat

One of my fave institutions in London: <BR> <BR>The Museum of Garden History. Check out this URL for info: <BR>http://www.cix.co.uk/~museumgh/mghidx.htm#content <BR> <BR>Located at the southeast end of the Lambeth Bridge, on the other side of the Thames opposite the Houses of Parliament and next to Lambeth Palace.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 02:05 PM
wes fowler

Wendy, <BR>One of my favorite small museums is the Courtauld Institute Galleries, laden with Impressionist and Post-Impressionist painting as well as contemporary British art. It's in Somerset House on the Strand. The nearest Underground is Temple or Embankment. An out of the ordinary, and totally unexpected delight is London's Little Venice, the extension of Regent's Canal which leads to Birmingham. Take the Bakerloo line to Warwick Avenue, walk to Blomfield Road and the canal. You can walk the paved canal towpath to Camdentown and the street markets there. Stop on the way at the pub, Crockers, a wonderful Victorian pub on Aberdeen Place.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 06:13 PM
sfowler

Per usual wes provides a very evocative and helpful post I agree with the Courtauld and the Dickens House. I'd also recommend Sir John Soane's Museum and the Wallace Collection. The former is the collection of a rather excentric architect. The later is mostly French paintings of teh Fragonard/Watteau genre [The century is escaping me... probably 18th] as well as a large collection of ornate clocks that still work! Be there at noon or 11am and you're in for a cacophonous treat! <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 06:39 AM
Erin

If you like art and architecture, I recommend Leighton House (Kensington on Holland Park Road). It's one of the few sites in London that's cheap (they ask for donations) and isn't overrun with tourists. The staff is very welcoming and you basically have the whole house to yourself. The house was built by Lord Leighton who was a painter in the mid-1800s. The house is full of art from his travels abroad. One room, the Arab Hall, is decorated in tiles he brought back from the Middle East and even has one of those fountains in the floor. The house displays some of his own paintings too.

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 04:01 PM
ellen

Have you been to the Queen's Museum and the Mews behind Buckingham Palace? The parade carriages are all stored there. You could also send away for passes to the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. Very different being in the Tower at night with only about 25 people with you in that huge place. Did you see the big sundial across the moat at the metro stop? Don't remember exactly how I got there. Believe I was coming from St. Paul's. Took the tube to the tunnel. Walked upstairs. To my left was a viewing area of sorts with an amazing view of the tower and this huge sundial on the ground. Then i took the pedestrian walk to the tower.

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 06:03 AM
Susan

Have you been to Regent's Park? During the summer you can enjoy a wonderful meal and outdoor performance for very little money. Get there early to enjoy the gardens.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 12:30 AM
Terje

Message: Have you been to The Kensington Palace ? It is open for the public

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 08:27 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>I have e-mailed you a copy I have on disc of a note on walks designed to cover some of the history of London. I hope it is of use. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 12:21 PM
Jeff

Wendy, Some of my favorite places to go in London are the little out of the way places. One of my favorite spots is Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin's in the Field church. Talk about a place with atmosphere! Also I enjoy Richmond Park which is not visited nearly as much as the other parks. The Orangery at Kensington palace is a great place for sandwiches and high tea.