London 1st half day

Sep 12th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

London 1st half day

Arriving in London around 1:00 P.M. Room won't be ready, I'm sure. What can a person hope to accomplish the first day and a half , taking in the jet lag factor. Staying near Kings Cross station.

Thanks,

Larry
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Go for a walk as soon as you arrive! The absolute best thing is to get some fresh air and light, and keep moving that first afternoon/evening. If your room isn't ready, get them to hang on to your luggage and get out and about for a bit. Even if the room IS ready, dump your stuff and go.

The next day you'll be on your way to being fine.

Don't know the exact location of your hotel, but King's Cross generally isn't the nicest walking area IMO. Regent's Park is fairly close by. Camden area, with the market, is as well. Or you could hop on a bus/tube and head to Hyde Park, or Westminster, or any number of areas where you could explore a bit on foot.

Another option is an organized walk through London Walks.
www.walks.com
I usually go on one the first evening I'm in London as it keeps me up, active and engaged for the early evening.
Sep 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM

If your room isn't ready check you luggage, head out for lunch and a nice long walk.

If you're awake enough head for one sight.

We usually stay in either Mayfair or Knightsbridge and go for long walk either in Hyde park or St James - after a decent lunch. Depending on the time and our lack of sleep we might golook at Westminster Abbey or similar and then head back to the hotel for a light early dinner,
Sep 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM

By 1PM it is quite likely your room will be ready. No guarantee of course, but most folks check out in the early AM and rooms can often be available as soon as 10 or 11AM.

So definitely go to the hotel - if the room is ready check in and unpack/freshen up then go for a walk and have a nice late lunch/early dinner. Walk some more and then head back to the hotel.

If the room isn't ready - drop your bags and go for a walk. Come back to the hotel, check in/unpack/freshen up then go have dinner.
Sep 12th, 2010, 11:26 PM

If you haven't been to London before, how about the hop-on-hop-off bus? Your ticket is valid for 24 hours, so you could also make use of it the next day to get to places you want to spend time at.
When we use this service in a new city, we often walk between one stop and the next, so you get your exercise as well! Di
Sep 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM

Not sure if you are into train stations and stunning architecture but you could have a look at St Pancras station - next door to Kings Cross station - it's old and stunning outside and a mix of old and new but still amazing inside. There are a few cafes and restaurants in St Pancras if you want a drink or meal.

You could walk down towards Russell Square tube and have a meal somewhere at the Brunswick Centre then sit in the park for a bit. Fresh air is definitely a good idea if you've flown a long way. Another walk is down Pentonville Road, which is full of traffic and ugly, to Upper Street in Islington which is lined with shops and restaurants and nice for a stroll and people watching.

Kay
Sep 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM

I agree with the suggestions to go for a walk when you first arrive. I have been up for over 24 hours straight by the time I arrive anywhere in Europe (coming from California, don't sleep on planes, and don't sleep the night before), so I'm not up to sightseeing my first day. I drop off my luggage, and go for an orientation walk around the neighborhood. I find a grocery or convenience store, buy some water and snacks, a newspaper, and then hit an ATM.

In 14 trips to London, though, I have never had to wait more than an hour or so to check into my room, and I have always arrived before noon. Usually the room is ready. I think there is a good chance your room will be available at 1:00 pm when you arrive.
Sep 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

So many great ideas. Will incorporate several.

Many Thanks.