Germany--Hotel in Frankfurt

Sep 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Germany--Hotel in Frankfurt

Plan to spend several nights in Frankfurt on either side of meeting daughter in Worms (husband and self). Can anyone recommend reasonable place preferably with buffet or continental breakfast included.. We will be traveling by train after arrival by air.
Sep 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM

I'm going to Frankfurt too and seriously looking at Hotel Excelsior - right next door to train station, good price, buffet breakfast, and they seem to offer extras that other hotels don't, such as a free minibar. Its a 3 star place. I've checked it out on tripadvisor and it has quite good reviews too. I haven't booked it yet, but not going until Christmas, so have a bit of time up my sleeve yet. Let me know what you decide and if you can think of any other good hotels, let me know. thanks
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:19 AM

I stayed at the Excelsior in May and I thought it was good value for the money. The breakfast buffet is great - lots of choices of meat, cheese, salads, breads, pastries, and Asian foods.

They do not offer Wifi in the rooms but it is available in the lobby and there is a business center with computers and two desks with internet connections if you bring your own laptop. In the afternoon they serve coffee, tea, and pound cake in the lobby (this was a life saver after my 5 hour walking tour and no lunch). There's a large mini market a few doors away and I ate dinner at a very good restaurant just two or three blocks away.

I was very happy with the Excelsior as it was so close to the train station and was perfect for my one-day stopover in Frankfurt.

The map on their site is a bit misleading. When you exit the main door of the station, walk immediately to your right and walk alongside the station building. The Excelsior will be almost in front of you, just across the side street.
Sep 13th, 2010, 04:31 AM
hsv

Talking about reasonable rates: The 25 hours hotel by Levis is just a 3 min. walk from the main station and offers slightly funky, but new and clean accommodation for very affordable prices. They have a buffet breakfast, too, if I recall correctly, but I did not make use of it. Its decor is a bit unusual (jeans theme and every story offers styling cues to a different decade from the 30ies to the sixities or so), especially for banking oriented Frankfurt, but I think it's some of the best value if you can cope with a young and very casual environment and staff (nothing unprofessional, though).
http://www.25hours-hotels.com/frankf...ex.php?lang=en

Alternatively, a bit down the road there is The Pure hotel, which has a very appealing breakfast buffet and has a clean white styling. Sometimes uit can be very affordable, at other times it's more on the expensive side. In any case, its rooms are comfortable and it is worth a look in my opinion.
http://www.the-pure.de/
Sep 13th, 2010, 05:19 AM

I've also stayed at the Excelsior and it was a very good value for the price, plus it is right across the street from the train station.
Sep 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much--will immediately look up these choices. So many things to think about when planning and it seems as though the days are moving very fast.
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM

Thanks also from me for this very helpful information. I did look at the Pure, but for me it is too expensive. Adrienne, could you please tell me if possible what time they stop serving the afternoon tea at the Hotel Excelsoir? Okay stupid question I know.
Sep 14th, 2010, 02:24 AM

I guess the coffee and cake is over when there is no more left; it didn't seem that they replenished the supply. I got there about 4:00 and there was little left. If you're hungry in the afternoon there's a mini market to the left as you exit the hotel. It's just a couple of doors away and there is a large selection of things to buy.

If you're looking for a place for dinner in the area try Baseler Eck at Baseler Platz 7. It's on a corner across from a small park and filled with mostly local people; it was recommended by the desk clerk at Hotel National. Good size portions at reasonable prices. I recommend the pork in cream sauce.
Sep 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Daughter just called and said she had read that the area near the train station, and excelsior, was noted for junkies and prostitutes and not a good place to hang out. Any comments?
Sep 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM

I answered the junkie and prostitute question on your other thread. Never saw either.

How much hanging out will you be doing in this area? Hanging out in front of the hotel? Hanging out in front of the train station? Where and why would you be hanging out here?

If you're planning to stay out late (past midnight) you can always take a taxi back to the hotel.

There are two tram stops, one about 50 meters from the hotel, the other that goes to Romer is about 100 meters from the hotel.
Sep 18th, 2010, 07:00 PM

The area around the Excelsior is kind of a mish-mash of various nationalities. Yes, I did see crack smoking in the street, a few hookers and the local police taking no backtalk from someone that did something, but that was several blocks away. However, there are tons of restaurants for just about any taste you can imagine and the train station itself has a great market inside.