Reload this Page >

Loire Valley by train

Search

Loire Valley by train

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Janet Jensen

Loire Valley by train

We will be staying in Amboise for 5 nights and seeing the Loire Valley by train. What towns should we include in our itinerary that are on the train route?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 09:33 AM
David

I did this last spring and thoroughly enjoyed the train approach. I wanted to be able to sample the wines, yet still get around. I didn't feel a car was the best option. I will easily walk a mile so keep that in mind.<BR><BR>The chateaux I saw were: Chinon, Angers, Chenonceau and Blois.<BR><BR>I also saw Amboise's Chateau where you are staying and walked to the Clos de Luce outside of town about a half mile. This is where Leonardo da Vinci spent his last few years. There's also a quirky toy museum in Amboise. It has over-stuffed displays that are interesting to see.<BR><BR>I was there in late May and saw the "Son & Lumiere" (“Sound & Light”) show at Blois. I found it beautiful and interesting even though I went on a French narration night and could understand almost nothing. Other chateaux have them through the summer, you can look around on the internet to see what’s available.<BR><BR>I believe Azay-le-Rideau is accessible by train, too. I'm sure there are other chateau but I'm not familiar with them.<BR><BR>Later in June I went back with my Dad, neice & nephew with a rental car. We saw Chambord, Langeais, Chateaudun & Saumur.<BR><BR>I did not use, but have seen discussed, small organized bus tours out of Amboise. This might be an option to see a chateau like Chambord which is about 10 miles from a rail station.<BR><BR>Try not to miss Chambord and Saumur is well worth it. Saumur Chateau would be about a mile walk from the train station with some beautiful views of the castle on the way.<BR><BR>FYI, to get south of the Loire River or west past Tours you will almost certainly have to go through and/or change trains in Tours. It can be a bit confusing because Tours has two train stations: the main city station of Tours and St Pierre des Corps in the suburbs. These train stops are only 5 minutes apart and there is a shuttle train that runs between them several times an hour. In addition, most of the train journeys I went on stopped at both stations. But if for some reason one leg of your journey stops at one and the next leg departs at the other it shouldn’t be a problem.<BR><BR>I loved my time in the Loire Valley, I’m sure you will too.<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 10:03 AM
steve

Itj is pretty awkward doing it by train, but certainly Blois is accessable and is an interesting castle.<BR><BR>Azay is accessable, but the train station is quite a ways from the actual town. There may be taxis (we couldn't get one when we needed one)<BR><BR>Chaumont can be reached by taking the train to Onzain and then a short walk across the Loire.<BR><BR>Why did you choose to be somewhat isolated in a small town for 5 days

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:46 PM
carol

First of all, I don't think that Amboise is an isolated small town. It's a charming town right in the midst of chateaux country, with easy access to almost all of the famous ones. I wonder, however, why you're planning to do your touring by train. My companion and I, while staying in Tours, took small (8-10 people in a van)tours of the chateaux and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In general, you take an afternoon tour which runs from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm, and stops at several chateaux during the afternoon. I think we had about an hour or so at each place, (I can't remember exactly)which was usually enough time since the charm of most places is external, and the interiors are pretty dull. Another benefit of these small tours is that you get to ride through the countryside on the back roads, avoiding the highways, and it's very beautiful and scenic. I hope I've persuaded you to consider this mode of touring one of my favorite places in the world. Your hotel and/or the tourist office in town will have all the contact information about the tours.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:12 AM
astve

I like Amboise too and would have no problem staying there for 5 days or longer if I had a car (or a bicycle as I have when I visit the Loire).