Lodging Recommendations for Paris & Strausbourg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm traveling with my son to Paris and then on to Aix-en-Provence to visit my daughter the first week of December. We'll stay in Paris for two to three nights before heading to Aix and then on to see the Christmas market in Strausbourg.

I'm looking for recommendations for places to stay in Paris & Strausbourg.

Thank you in advance...Grace
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:21 AM

It would help to have more info:

What is your budget?

Is you son an adult or a child? (Many European hotel rooms have only one double bed - so do you need 2 twin beds)?

Once your daughter joins you will you want a triple room with 3 single beds or 2 separate rooms?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, thanks for your reply. I'd like to stay within the $200-250 per night range. My son is 24 years old & at the very least, I need twin beds, but I'm debating whether or not to book a separate room??? (When my kids were younger, travel was much easier & cheaper!!). When we all go to Straussbourg, my kids would like us all to be in the same room just for the fun of it. Not sure triple rooms are common, tho...
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM

I would definitely get separate rooms... 24 is a rough age to be bunking with your parents (no matter how cool the parents are).

You can definitely find an apartment in Paris in that price range that will sleep two in separate rooms (either two bedrooms or a bedroom and pull-out couch in the living room). That'll probably give you and your son the most sense of privacy and independence.

There are a lot of great, reputable rental agencies in Paris (just search the forum for Paris rental) and TONS of amazing apartments in perfect areas. For example, here's a one bedroom with a loft (so sort of 2 bedrooms) in the Marais that's in your price range: http://www.rentparis.com/appart-en-24.html

Can't help with Strausbourg, but I would assume you could easily find a similar situation there. Good luck!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

slangevar, I agree -- an apt. would be best for all the reasons you mentioned, but some have a minimum 5-night stay policy. I just spent a week with my daughter in Aug/Sept. at the Paris Perfect apartments, which we loved. So they are my first choice, if they can accommodate us for just the three nights...I'm searching out all options.

Thanks much for your help.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM

No problem! I know that Rent Paris allows 3-night stays, as do many VRBO apartments and other agencies. You'll pay a little more than you would for a week or more, but it's still cheaper than a hotel (and nicer!).
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

slangevar, thank you! I'll check out Rent Paris and see what they have during that timeframe.

Also--I asked this question on another thread you posted to -- how did you find out the time/location for the Paris Walks chocolate tour?
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Ooh, the Chocolate Tour! That was so much fun... truly the best chocolate I've ever had.

I found it on the Paris Walks site - http://www.paris-walks.com/ Looks like they haven't posted the December schedule yet, but when they do, it'll be here: http://www.paris-walks.com/download-pdf.html In November, they offered one Chocolate Tour a week (you must make a reservation... they usually fill up in advance).

If they're not offering it when you're there, you can also schedule a private chocolate tour... take a look here: http://www.paris-walks.com/chocolate-walk.html

Mmm - I'm so jealous!!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, slangevar!
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:29 PM

My pleasure, GraceCO! It means I get to live vicariously through your chocolate.

Btw, one of their featured chocolatiers (Jean Paul Hevin) has a great tea room above his shop (http://www.jphevin.com/content.php?lang=en&id_article=9) where you can try a historic recipe for hot chocolate (so rich, you can barely drink a cup). Nice treat for a cold day if you happen to be near the Louvre and Place de la Concorde.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 08:42 AM

I stayed in this hotel in Strasbourg and thought it was great, I highly recommend it:
http://www.hotel-europe.com/

The good thing about it, it is in the Petite France section, which is nice, but is within walking distance of both the train station and the cathedral.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Chris66 -- thank you for the hotel recommendations & I very much appreciate the rundown on what's happening in Paris during December. I was hoping there would be something special planned for the holidays at Notre Dame.

Christina, I will check out this hotel in Strasbourg...Do you happen to know how long to get there by train from Aix? Paris? Trying to decide which city to leave from...

Thanks for all the great ideas. This forum never disappoints...Grace
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM

I have stayed at the Hotel de Rohan in Strasbourg; it is on a pedestrian street a half-minute walk from the famed cathedral. Reasonably priced, prettily decorated, and friendly staff.

Just took the TGV to Paris from S-bourg on Sat. (did not actually stay in Strasbourg this trip;we rented a house in Riquewihr), and the trip each way is 2 hours and 20 minutes.

Because of the Christmas markets I think you should make your reservations in Strasbourg soon; they book fast that time of year.

Have fun!
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:52 PM

In Strasbourg, and in fact in Paris as well, you should look into the Citadines apartment hotel. The one in Strasbourg is right in the centre of the city, and there are locations all over Paris.

http://www.citadines.com/en/france/s...rg/kleber.html
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 05:43 AM

Another vote for Hotel de Rohan in Strasbourg - we stayed there last year at xmas and it was great!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:53 AM

A third recommendation for the Hotel de Rohan in Strasbourg. It's on a pedestrian street a few steps from the cathedral so you can look up and always find your back when you wander the streets of Strasbourg. There were beautiful window displays and Christmas decorations to enjoy.

The best part is the Christmas market is right there so after a few cups of hot mulled wine to stave off the cold in the evening you don't have to stagger too far to your hotel.

Besides the Christmas market booths, there are some nice shops and an abundance of restaurants within steps from the hotel.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your recommendations. I've had a change of plans -- I will be in Paris the entire time 12/1-12/8 with my three kids -- but my daughter is headed to Strausbourg from Aix-en-Provence in a couple of weeks & is booking at the Hotel de Rohan...

Thank you!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Chris, thanks, once again, for the Notre Dame link. It is on our "holiday" list for this next trip...

I always get the best ideas and up-to-the-minute happenings from this wonderful Forum. Sure makes the planning easier and the trip that much more special and meaningful.