Search

lodging in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lodging in Edinburgh

Hi all,

We're coming to Edinburgh for two days so my son can see his friend who has just moved back to the UK from the States. Problem is our trip is during the Fringe Festival. Can anyone recommend reasonably priced lodging for a family of four? We're open to anything but we do like places with character.

Thanks for your time,
Anna
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 06:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
How would you define "reasonably priced" given it's the most expensive time to visit Edinburgh throughout the whole year? There are no secrets here; you might just want to use the usual methods to find accommodations - online sources etc. - or Airbnb, As with many cities around the world, Airbnb is getting some pushback from the local government in Edinburgh because of its perceived impact on affordable housing, but nothing dramatic has happened yet. And be prepared to shell out more than you'd like; if you're there in festival time the city's electricity and liveliness is worth something. It's only for a couple of nights, after all.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 06:50 AM

There are others who can offer better and more information than I can, but you have left it awfully late.I suggest you go to booking.com and see what options might be available. You really need to book immediately ( preferably several months ago ) and don't have time for posters to offer suggestions.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could help more but booking.com seems like the best idea. I usually rent a flat and they do 2 nights but fully booked already for your time frame. You might find something at a good price more toward the airport but on the shuttle line which is easy to use to get to center Edinburgh.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does it have to be IN Edinburgh? As sassy27 points out, maybe somewhere on the Airport Shuttle line... There are also several cities/towns less than an hour by train from Edinburgh. Stirling, North Berwick, stops along both lines... I'm sure there are more...
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Can anyone recommend reasonably priced lodging for a family of four<<

Define 'reasonable . . . and no, it probably is not possible. Especially this late. A run of the mill Travelodge right off Princes Street that normally can be had for £50-ish will run close to £200 and is probably sold out. Any place we recommend will likely be booked up. And you certainly cannot be picky about a 'character' property -- take what you can get.

You have two practical options. 1) use booking.com and see if ANYTHInG is available for your dates that fits your budget; 2) stay outside of Edinburgh on a train line (North Berwick, Stirling, Glasgow, Perth etc) and day trip in; . . . or maybe 3) stay somewhere else entirely and have your friend come to visit you.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input everyone! This trip is definitely last minute as we only found out recently my son's friend was moving and would be in the UK as the same time as us. What I'm hearing from you all is basically bite the bullet and pay what we must. Appreciate your suggestions.