Lodging Help, Italy Apartments vs. Hotel for 5 travellers

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I may be missing something, but feel I am spinning my wheels trying to locate lodging for 5 travellers.

Trip will be multiple cities, September. But already having trouble with finding lodging for the first city, Sorrento (as our hub) Later Tuscany. (I know crazy, b/c it is the opposite direction LOL)

Would figure with 5 adult travellers (O.K. to have 2 bedrooms, 2 (?) bathrooms) some type of apartment would seem to make more sense financially, but we are only staying 4 nights, not 1 week. (many apartment rentals seem to be 7 day minimum)

Travel budget is conservative.

So, looking for websites to continue to search for rentals or suggestions on budget hotels that would be an alternative to an apartment with a kitchen, etc. (or, to help educate my fellow travellers, your expert knowledge of what to expect per person per night...)
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM

Post the cities and the number of nights in each place, if you know that already.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM

And the actual price you consider "conservative"--my conservative may not be yours.

For "Tuscany" are you imagining a countryside location or in a town?
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento 4 or 5 nights
Tuscany 4 or 5 nights (town atmosphere) The group is still not convinced a car is needed here, but I keep reading it is preferable...

I'm not sure on price, because it's a group...but fellow travelers were commenting 250 - 300 euros per night seemed high (but maybe that is what one should expect?)

thanks much
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

P.S. early September - and I believe this is "in season" so also thinking the cost expectation may need to be "it is what it is" even if it is more $ than one would think. (I can't speak for all in the group, but usually in the States I get 2 - 3* lodging via priceline and am fine with that)
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You will need a car for Tuscany, but most are a tough fit for five plus luggage.

Il Giardino Segreto in Pienza will have apartments for less than a week usually. I imagine they will be well under your budget. The Il Melgrano and Corbezzolo apartments each have two bedrooms and state an extra bed can be added. They don't have two baths though, but if the prices are cheap enough, you might rent a room plus an apartment or two apartments. They also have just rooms. I rented their smallest apartment (Sept. 08), La Serra, for 45€ a night.
http://www.ilgiardinosegretopienza.it/

For other apartments in Pienza, look under rooms for rent.
http://www.portalepienza.it/

For Sorrento, Il Nido would be in your budget. They are in the hills above Sorrento (about 10 minutes out of town), but offer a free shuttle. They have great views and huge breakfast. They also have a coin operated laundry to use.
http://www.ilnido.it/
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:17 AM

Apartments would be the way to go. I can't give you any real suggestions because the spots we haved in Tuscany have only had one apartment good for two or at most three.

However I can add that many spots will rent for fewer than a week. Also if you find a spot your group likes that say they only rent by the week, email them directly with your dates and needs. Sometimes they will be able fit you in between longer rentals.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Do you mean 250 euros each for 2 rooms or 250 euros total for 5 people. If the latter you would be looking at a double room for 100 euros and a triple room for 150 euros - certainly doable - but in high season not a huge budget.

If you want kitchen an apartment would seem the best choice - available in VERY few european hotels.

And what are you expecting - that price would give you modest places - not upscale, unless in a far-flung suburb.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:57 AM

There are lots of apartments that rent for as few as 4 days. I know there are a couple of agencies that do not, but don't let that discourage you. Just keep looking. And do it soon: if you are going in Sept., lots of the places will already be booked.
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM

If you like the looks of this place in Sorrento I can comment that it might be good for booking two rooms with your group. www.casastarita.com . Small B&B, at least one room in the front -- we had it -- has a loft with a second bed (two adults would have to sleep in the bed below the loft) but I would think three would be comfortable. The center of the place is a dining room with a large table which would be handy to sitting together and planning or talking. I believe we either had a mini fridge in our room or were able to use the fridge in their kitchen. A triple room is about 120 Euro and a double about 95 Euro. Right on one of the main streets, walking distance to train and busy and port easy, but still quiet and comfortable.