Help planning anniversary in Italy?

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help planning anniversary in Italy?

DH and I are planning ten days in Italy to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Neither of us has ever been. Travel dates are May 26-June 6. In to Milan (getting in 9am on 27th), out through Rome (leaving 10am).

Only thing locked in so far are the flights. We thought train to Venice on 27th, then two days there.

Also thinking about heading to Rome afternoon/evening of 3rd, sightseeing 4th & 5th.

We'd love advice on the middle portion of the trip to include Florence and Tuscany/Umbria. I think we'll have plenty "urban" experiences at the top and bottom of the trip, and DH announced that his priorities are to eat and drink his way through, I'd like to hear about places to relax, and indulge our senses.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
ira

Hi U,

I suggest 3 nights in Venice, rent a car and drive through Tuscany for 4 nights.

Drop off the car in Orvieto and visit the town (I Sette Consoli is a terrific restaurant).

Take the train to Rome - 3 nights.

Fly home.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Where should we stay during the four nights in Tuscany? Should we plan one "home base" and day trip from there? What towns or sights are suggested? I haven't had any luck finding a suggested itinerary for a four day Florence and Tuscany tour. I'd love some more help!
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi U,

Enter <Tuscany agriturismo>, <Tuscany hotel> and <Tuscany> in the "search this forum box".

Some folks have stayed in one place and done daytrips, others have moved from town to town.

With 4 days, you might want to choose just one base.

Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Great help, Ira! Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 06:44 AM

Congratulations!We did a trip for our 20th to Italy as well. Be sure to mention it is your 20th anniversary and that you want to make it very special, as we found we got all sorts of lovely perks from that. Everyone loves a happy ending!
We started in Milano and saw the special sites in the city plus the Lake Como (so worth the side trip). From there we went to Venice - stay in Venice not Lido because when the daytripper crowds leave it is magical! From there by train again to Florence- we did not have enough time there at all, then Rome and then Amalfi coast where we enjoyed a week before returning again to Rome.
We also found that our individual train tickets- purchased online- were cheaper than a rail pass.
Again congratulations and enjoy!