Lockers in Ost-bahnhof in Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying into Munich in December, then taking the train to Salzburg.

We would like to vist the Christmas market at the Marienplatz in Munich before taking the train to Salzburg. We'll have to store our luggage somewhere in order to do this.

Do you know if there are luggage lockers, or a left luggage desk at the Ost-bahnhof or Haupt-bahnhof train stations? If so, do they take coins, or only European credit cards?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:33 AM

At the Hauptbahnhof, they have both lockers and a luggage desk. The lockers come in at least two sizes. The smaller locker costs 2 Euro and would fit a 21"ish suitcase. The large locker was 4 Euro and we fit in a 21" suitcase, 26" suitcase, and a small backpack. The lockers only take coins but it wasn't hard to get change.
The left luggage desk was 4 Euro per bag.
Personally, I would go with the lockers. They are cheaper, you can access your luggage at any time and there is no waiting in line.
The Hauptbahnhof is a pleasant 10 min walk from Marienplatz.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much. I notice that only a few trains to Salzburg stop at Ost-bahnhof, so we'll stop at Haupt-bahnhof, put our bags in a locker and walk to the Marienplatz!

I do have some Euro coins now, so that won't be a problem. In Holland earlier this year, the lockers only took a CC so it was a big problem since we're from the U.S. and don't have the right CC.

You've been a great help.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

We're going to buy a Bavarian Day Ticket (I believe it's called this) for our trip to Salzburg. Is this ticket also valid for the S bahn from the airport to the train station?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM

There are also lockers at Munich East/Ostbahnhof.

The trains to Salzburg start at Hauptbahnhof and also stop at Ostbahnhof.

Travelwise, it will be more convenient to leave your luggage at Ostbahnhof, because at Hauptbahnhof it's a much longer walk from where the lockers are to where the trains to Salzburg leave.

If you plan to take one of the regional trains from Munich to Salzburg, the easiest way to travel would be to get a "Bayern Ticket", a day ticket for 27 Euros (good for up to 5 people) already at the airport.
That ticket will cover the S-Bahn train to Munich, any public transport in Munich (also subways, trams, buses), and the regional trains to Salzburg.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Oops, guess I was a bit slow in posting my reply to the first question ;-)

All regional (i.e. local) trains from Munich Central (Hauptbahnhof) to Salzburg also call at Ostbahnhof.
Just make sure that you do NOT use one of the Intercity trains, as for those your Bayern Ticket is not valid.

The trains you CAN use are labeled Regional Express (abbr. RE) or Regional Bahn (abbr. RB).
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for such great information! You've saved us both time and money!

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:42 AM

You're welcome. Hope you will have fun.

Just one last remark:
Two S-Bahn lines start at Munich airport to take you to the city center: S1 and S8.
S1 trains will display "Ostbahnhof" as their final destination. But: it is a much shorter ride to take ANY S8 train, as they will reach Ostbahnhof much sooner.

Happy travels!