Lock or not to lock checked baggage?

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Karen

Lock or not to lock checked baggage?

Hello again- another question I have not seen addressed here yet?!

I have heard we are not supposed to lock our checked suitcases anymore? The airline people have the right now because of terrorists to break our locks if they want into our bags?

It was bad enough before getting things pilfered out of our baggage- what do you suggest?
TIA!

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:33 PM
louis

What do we suggest about what?

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Book Chick

Hi Karen,
I topped a thread for you called "New Luggage Screening Laws". There were quite a few posts on that thread about this topic.

Best Wishes,
BC

Jan 11th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Sherry

Hi Karen. This is just my choice, but the last time I locked my luggage was two years ago on a trip to Nice. When I returned home, the lock had been cut off. Also a few months before the cruise people had taken my bag and when it was returned, it had been gone through too. And this was before Sept 11.
The thought of someone going through my bags kind of gives me the creeps. But I don't seem to be able to do much about it, so I just do not pack anything valuable and try to shrug it off. This is just my attitude.

Jan 11th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Gretchen

"Lock" them with the plastic strips. They can be cut off if the bag is searched. I think the plan is to replace it if it is cut off.

Jan 11th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Rich

We went thru the new routine last week. When I handed the luggage over for inspection/xray, I asked the security guy if he would spin the locks on the suitcases when he finished with them. When we got them on the other end they were locked.

Rich

Jan 11th, 2003, 06:57 AM
strips

We just used the plastic strips on our trip over Christmas.When we got to the hotel we realised we had nothing to cut them with! All that security,no more little Swiss Army knives! The hotel helped us out with scissors an I supposeall hotels better get used to this strip dilemma!

Jan 11th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Mary Ann

In 1997 flying to Munich our locks were cut off for inspection by Northwest. It made us realize 2 things, NW was checking for security reasons and locks would be obviously broken, and if someone really wants to get in your back they will. So since then on our subsequent trips to Europe, Australia, as well as within the states, we have not locked our luggage. We do not include any valuables in the checked baggage (this includes cameras, jewelry, perscriptions, tickets, cash/travelers checks, itineraries, etc)

Even in hotel rooms, if they want to get in your luggage and it is locked, they can just as easily take the whole suitcase. The main thing is to ensure that the suitcase is securely closed so that it does not inadvertantly open during handling.

And, by the way, unlocked since 1997, we have not had anything taken from our luggage.

Jan 11th, 2003, 08:52 AM
John

In 17 years of travelling domestically on busnines, I never onced locked luggage. It's fruitless as anyone wanting to get at your things can in a second cut open soft side or pry open locks. Never lost a thing in all those years.
Started travelling internationally a few years ago and still do not lock bags and still have not lost anything. Just be sure your bags are closed securely and don't worry!!

Jan 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Bob C

I put a small knife in a unlocked side pocket. Then use it to cut the plastic ties. You can have knifes in your checked bags.

Jan 11th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Lorianne

We have travelled internationally five times and within the US numerous times. We never lock our bags and have never lost anything. We take all valuables in carry-on -----jewelry, perscriptions, cameras, etc. We are always right at the collection point so we pick up our bags as they come off the belt. Luckliy, we have never lost luggage either.

Jan 11th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Karen

Thanks for the replys- I will use the plastic strips- I have some I bought to use on a cruise. With a finger nail clipper in an outside pocket!
Thanks guys!!

Jan 11th, 2003, 10:37 AM
suzi

A concern I have not seen addressed is I always include my name, address, and phone # inside my luggage. Only my name on the outside tag. I'm more concerned about someone using this information to rob my home.
Any thoughts or comments?

Jan 11th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Denise

Use your work address and phone number

Jan 11th, 2003, 11:55 AM
kathy

RE:what address to use on luggage tags- Actually, I put the address I'm going to - the hotel at my destination. If my luggage is delayed, it can be delivered to me there rather than have everything sent back home! Most luggage has a pocket for the address ID. I just slip in my destination. For the return trip, I use my own address.

Jan 11th, 2003, 03:41 PM
CharlieB

Karen - great suggestion by Kathy. In regards to your original question - do not lock your suitcases as screeners have every right now to break the lock and in so doing can destroy the zippers. Use the twist-ties. Nothing is as funny as seeing bras, shoes, and used underwear coming down the chute to the carrousel followed by an open suitcase.

Jan 11th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Bree

strips, I asked your question (about how to cut the cable ties when you get to your destination) on another thread, and someone said that -- in addition to Bob C's good suggestion of putting a knife in an outside pocket of your checked bag -- the TSA's website says that you can have blunt-nose scissors in your carry-on. I don't know anyone who's actually done this, so I don't know if the people at the airports are aware of it and will allow it, but the next time I travel, I plan to take the belt-and-suspenders approach and do both.

Jan 19th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Bill

They've always had the authority to cut locks. Most locks are easy to open anyway, but they are useful to keep the suitcase from coming open accidently. We are now using those plastic covered wire twisty things--just so the zippers don't come unzipped. You can also use one of those bands that clips around your suitcase if it's a hard sider.

Jan 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Katie

I think I missed something here but maybe someone is willing to explain what plastic strips that can be cut off if the bag is searched you people are talking about. Thanks

Jan 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM
xxx

The plastic strips are actually 'cable ties" and can be found in any hardware store. They are used to bundle electrical cables or computer cables together. They can be found in any hardware store..not at all expensive . But now, luggage shops are to be sure to stock them, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO