Location of Hotels in Barcelona

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location of Hotels in Barcelona

We are going to Barcelona in March with Gate 1. We have a couple of hotel choices, but I'd like to know more about the neighborhoods.

1. Montjuic area? (is this area very very touristy? with the magic fountains?)
2. Eixplain district (carrera de Paris...near Diagonal)
3. near the port

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Please let me explain as an example the area is called Eixample. The area itself is quite upscale and pleasant.

Montjuic is a mountain that looks upon Barcelona. While the views are spectacular it might be a bit inconvenient to stay there.

By the port I assume you mean Barceloneta. (There is also another area where the cruise ships dock.) And it can be inviting depending on the location.

I think you would be better served if you mentioned the hotels by name to see whether other posters have stayed there.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM

I would also go to tripadvisor.com and check out the reviews on the hotels which are options for you.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM

> I think you would be better served if you mentioned the hotels by name to see whether other posters have stayed there.

Exactly if you have actual hotel names. I like staying in Eixample area but usually close to Passeig Gracia and easy walking distance to Plaça de Catalunya. Eixample but closer to Plaça Espanya or to Sagrada Familia, I would find them less convenient. Then I might prefer certain port locations.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. The Hotel in Eixample (sorry for the typo, I was a wordprocessor for many many years...but I've lost it) the choice was the Hotel Astoria; Montjuic area, Hotel Barcelona Montjuic; and the Tryp Apollo (which has many bad reviews on TripAdvisor). The prices for the packages are jumping when we add 3 days onto them. I'm also looking into booking our own trip and staying exactly where we want to, but it still may be more economical to do a package and add 3 days to it.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM

hmmmmm... I wouldn't stay in any of them. None are as well located as I'd like to be for sightseeing. Many people like staying in parts of Eixample and Barri Gotic.

I'll be in Barcelona for the first time next summer so I'm no expert but after lots of internet research and reading a couple of guide books I've decided to stay near Passeig Gracia/Placa Catalunya/La Rambla for the convenience of being very close to the transportation center and within walking distance of many popular tourist sites. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Catalonia.html

When you google map Barcelona the very place where the word "Barcelona" is on the map is the area you want to be near if your trip is for sightseeing. http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com....ed=0CAsQ8gEwAA

If you haven't already, check out Maribel's guide to Barcelona to get an idea of where you'd like to see and where you'd like to stay. http://www.maribelsguides.com/
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 02:04 PM

I do mot beleive the Hotel Astoria is not located on Montjuic but in the Exiample. It is a stylish neighborhood with many metro stops.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM

I am staying at the Amister Apartments, very near Plaça Cataluña between Christmas and New Year's. It looks good on the Internet, but I haven't been there yet. The price is right. If you want a report, I can supply one after the first of the year.
Boots
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

So far, this is extremely helpful. Thanks so much. I'll do more research.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM

> I do mot beleive the Hotel Astoria is not located on Montjuic but in the Exiample.

I think OP meant Astoria is in Exiample and 2 others in Montjuic, maybe not clearly put. Out of above 3, yes I would choose Astoria's location. Almost by Diagonale, not as close to Plaça de Catalunya as I would like still manageable distance, much better than the other 2's location to my taste. Also mentioned favorably on above mentioned Maribel's guide (Do take a look). The neighbouhood seems nice.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Keubel.

There are many maps of Barcelona and its neighborhoods on the Net.

Also remember that the Barcelona Metro is efficient and used by most tourists.