Location of Hotel in Venice

Nov 8th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Location of Hotel in Venice

I am undecided between 2 hotels in Venice because their location is so different.
Locanda Orseolo - near St Marks Sq
Hotel Antique Figure -near train station.
Would appreciate any opinion on this matter. I really don't know how important it is to be right next to St Marks. Thanks
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:06 AM
kja

Hi, acblaze -
I'm not sure that it is important to be right next to the Piazza San Marco, but I'd certainly prefer being near it than being near the train station. Enjoy!
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:48 AM

IMO you can't go wrong with either hotel. Locanda Oseolo gets phenomenal reviews everywhere, as one of the best places to stay in Venice. I just looked up the Antique Figure, and as I'm sure you know, it also gets rave reviews, and it's on the Grand Canal.

If you will be arriving or departing to or from Venice by train or bus, that would make the Antique Figure a convenient option. Even if not though, the walk from the train station to Piazza San Marco is 35-45 minutes and you'd have the advantage of a great walk through interesting areas. And there's always the # 1 vaporetto line from the train station which travels along the Grand Canal offering fantastic views.
The Piazza is the hub of Venice, but that also makes it busier and even more full of tourists like us.
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM

I too would take Locanda Orseolo because of the rave here and on tripadvisor.com and the location is nice (because & even though it is so close to Piazza San Marco - 1 minute walk). Toursit central area but Orseolo's entrance is so discreet. Antique Figure's location put me off, in front of the Railway Station that has nothing to do with other Venice architeture. That said, I know Antique Figure is No.1 at tripadvisor's Venice hotels so they must be doing lots of things right to please their guests ( perhaps many of them first timers to Venice?). If I don't need to be at Piazza San Marco during the day, I like to see the basilica at around midnight every night when it is (almost) deserted. Then you can go to bed in a few minutes.
Nov 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Oh, Antique Figure has been No1 in Hotel category on TA but now it's down to No3 while Locanda Orseolo is No1 in B & B. Just for the record.
Nov 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM

We just stayed 4 glorious nights at Locanda Orseola and HIGHLY recommend it. The hype is all true. This is the only place we will stay at when we visit Venice. The gracious service, decor, amenities, location and not to mention the best breakfasts (cook to order crepes and eggs) in our entire 19 day trip in Italy. We were as sad to leave Locanda O as we were to leave magical Venice. I say, "book now" since their 15 rooms book up fast.

As far as location: Most of the areas you will probably want to see are located nearer to San Marco (St. Mark's) than at the other end near the Train Station.

We explored most of Venice in our 4 days there and found Locanda to be centrally located.

Happy Travels.