Question about Venice hotel location for a 1 night stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my eye on Ca' Dogaressa, in the Canareggio area near the train station. We will be taking an early train from Rome and staying just the one night, leaving the next morning in a rental car to head for Tuscany.

I know Venice is small area-wise, but I need some advice on walking and etc. travel time in getting around to sightsee. My thinking is that this hotel is closer to the station so that we can get our luggage dropped off and head out to see things, or would we be better off choosing a more central location? I like the idea of staying a bit away from the crowds and noise, but not if getting back to the hotel would eat up too much of our limited time.

What is the restaurant selection like in Canareggio?
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd want to stay closer to the center myself. It's easy enough to get from the train station by vaporetto to your hotel (assuming just one piece of rolling luggage). I loved the Dorsoduro, along the promonade overlooking the Guidecca shipping canal. Close enough for easy walking to major sights and sites, but enough off the beaten path to be a little more quiet and less conjested.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM

You're better off in a more central location - especially for such a short stay.

A 5-10 minute vaporetto ride from the train station to your more central hotel is not going to prevent you from seeing anything and it will make for a vastly more pleasant Venice experience.

And don't be tempted just because hotels in Canareggio are less expensive than other areas of Venice - it's because the other areas are nicer.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM

There’s nothing wrong with staying near the train station or anywhere else in Canareggio. Frankly, I think it’s a good idea, considering your itinerary. You can take a vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal to get to San Marco, and walk back from there, doing your sightseeing, shopping, eating along the way. The closer you stay to the station, the easier your arrival and departure from Venice will be. I can’t imagine having an unpleasant experience just because you don’t stay in or near San Marco or other tourist central location. The Ca’ Dogaressa is located in the Jewish quarter, which is an interesting destination itself. And the hotel looks lovely; probably considerably better value than what you’d get for the same price elsewhere in the city.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On our first trip to Venice we stayed on the Grand Canal near San Marco. We much preferred where we stayed on our second trip--Canareggio, on one of the canals.You can easily take a vaporetto down the Grand Canal to San Marco and other areas.
Lots of good places to eat in Canareggio:Anice Stellato, Fontego dei Pescatori, Vini da Gigio..We ate at Fontego several times.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 03:22 PM

I love that location, especially for your early departure, and being on the canal will be nice. It is actually a very intersting area. I have stayed in two places in the Dorsoduro: loved one with views of the Grand Canal, the other, not so much. I have also stayed in a couple of other areas and near the train station in a hotel not nearly as nice or well located as yours. It was fine, and equally, if not more, convenient as some of the other places for sightseeing. We chose it because it was easy in and out for just a day, same as you. This hotel looks lovely. I would stick with your choice. It looks just about perfect, IMHO.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 04:28 PM

I agree with Holly - get a hotel near the train station and drop your luggage - THEN get on the vaporetto. Leave the bag, explore all day, go back in the late afternoon and check in then have a spritz or glass of wine... then dinner...

Lots of great restaurants around there.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, just the kind of advice I was looking for. Now I can stop drooling and actually make a reservation, Ca Dogaressa it will be. If the weather is nice, they give you breakfast on the sidewalk next to the canal!