Locarno and Montreux

Old May 21st, 2002, 09:44 PM
Phil

Locarno and Montreux

I have two days in each of these places arriving with a wife and car what do you suggest we do and see. Also Hotels is it really neccessary to book in advance?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 12:05 AM
Ursula

Hi Phil!
Re. hotel bookings you should know that both places often hold large conventions, film and music festivals and hotels fill up quickly during those periods. I would definitely book something, unless you want to find something a little outside, which would not be a problem as you will be having a car.
As for suggestions about what to see, you might want to read the thread "Supporting Group for those who love Switzerland". I shall top it for you.
Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:00 PM
Phil

Thankyou very much.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:39 PM
Wayne

Phil---
You neglected to say what time of year you are going. That will make a heck of a difference in whether you should get reservations. However, to be safe you should follow Ursula's advice.

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:22 AM
maria

The Chateau de Chillon can sometimes be "touristy", but worth the look. Just went last week and the promenade to the Chillon is exquisite!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:06 AM
s

Phil,

Here's a link to my travel journal with lots of suggestions (& photos) for Montreux. It would be hard for me to limit myself to two days' worth of activities & sights, so see if there is anything interesting for you at the journal.

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=7825

Feel free to e-mail me for more questions.

s

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 03:45 PM
loving life

I agree with Maria. The Chateau de Chillon in Montreux is wonderful. It sits right on Lake Geneva with the mountains in the background. Walk the promenade to the Chateau. No trip to Montreux would be complete without visiting it.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Ida

Phil,
I'm not familiar with Montreux but love the Italian part of Switzerland. I especially enjoy Ascona but Locarno is nice as well. I can't recommend a hotel because I have stayed in a friend's apartment, but would suggest reservations ahead of time if you'll be travelling in the summer or fall. It is so nice and a popular vacation spot.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Susan

Phil: I just returned from Switzerland (with a stay in Montreux). Do you know where you're staying yet there? We loved the hotel we stayed at, but it's a little bit on the outskirts of town so it probably works best if you have a car (which I see you do). It's the Hotel Masson. A converted old house like a bed and breakfast with beautiful gardens and lovely views. We enjoyed visiting Chateau de Chillon (which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel) and a trip to Gruyeres (which is about 40 minutes away by car), although it took us longer because we drove through the long winding road through the vineyards to get there.

I'll be posting a trip report soon. We also went to Locarno, but just a visit during the day while staying in Gandria. It was very pretty, with lots of shops and restaurants and gelato stands.

You'll love it!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:35 PM
topper

topping for Phil