Last two days of Switzerland visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking a first and short trip to Switzerland. Arrive by air at Geneva; will take a train to Zermatt for a few days. Returning home on flight from Geneva. I originally assumed I would take a train from Zermatt to Geneva, and spend two days in Geneva. Seasoned traveler has suggested I stay in another town like Vevey and explore sights and scenery there. I would love to see Chateau Chillon, but with so limited amount of time, want to make the best use of it.
On my flying home day, my flight leaves about noon, so would need to train to Geneva airport either that morning, or the night before.
Comments/suggestions for two days in that area are welcome.
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Chateau Chillon and the views from it are wonderful, definitely try to visit!
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM

You can take a diret train from Vevey to the Geneva airort (no changes) in 1 hour 12 minutes; those go about once an hour and in between there are many more with a change at lausanne or elsewhere.

I would spend the night in Vevey and enjoy the castle and the lakeside promenade.If you have time, you can enjoy a boat ride on the lake.

See the train schedules at www.rail.ch (for English)
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

does this mean that sightseeing in Geneva is missable, or should I stay in Vevey and daytrip into Geneva for some sightseeing time?
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Honestly, we have not spent any time in Geneva, apart from connecting to the airport.

We have visited along Lac Leman, in a daytrip to Chateau de Chillon (highly recommended) and an overnight sty at Morges.

I have heard from people I trust that Vevey is very nice, a small lakeside town with a nice promenade.

Geneve might be interesting if you had a specific idea in mind---CERN, for example. But I haven't heard anything about how great the city is, so I cannot speak to general sightseeing there. Hopefully someone has been there and can answer your questions.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks, will also try to do more reading about sightseeing in Geneva. I believe that Montreux is also very close to Vevey, even walkable perhaps.
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Hi elaine,

I've walked from Vevey to Montreux, and it takes a few hours. It is mostly pleasant and mostly by the lake, but there is a stretch from Clarens to La Tour-de-Peilz that goes up by the main road and isn't at all fun.

If you stay in Montreux or Vevey, your hosts will give you a Riviera Card that gives you free travel on the busses. This is a great way to go between the two -- bus #1 runs from Vevey all the way to and through Montreux, to and past Chillon, to Villeneuve, and most of it next to the lake. A combination of bus and ferry is great for this stretch.

I personally like Montreux more, but that's mainly for personal reasons (boarding school there eons ago) and because of its 11 km flowered lakesdie promenade.

Have fun!

s
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

11 km flowered promenade sounds pretty good to me too. It will be such a short amount of time, would like to get the most out of the time I will have after Zermatt. Still working on this,comments and logistical suggestions still welcome.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Hi again,

Ok, here are links to my "reviews" (w/photos) of some things I love in Montreux; hope it'll help you decide:

Montreux old town
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...reux_Vaud.html

Lavaux

Promenade Fleuri

Fun!

s
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Stay in Vevey or Montreux! I prefer the atmosphere in Vevey by a little bit, but they're both gorgeous cities. You can easily take the train into Geneva on the day of your flight (I've done this 5 trips, no problems). Trains run often, from early AM, and go right to the Geneva airport (don't get off at the downtown Geneva stop, stay on until the end at the airport).

Go to the open air farmers markets - they are Sat or Tues in Vevey, and Friday in Montreux. Chateux de Chillon and the tram called Rochers de Naye in Montreux are both fun. Walk the 'quai' (lakeside promonade). These to me are highlights of the area.

I have friends living there so have been many times, we went only once to Geneva for an afternoon of sightseeing, it was OK but not a "must do" for me. Geneva has more the vibe of an international business banking kind of city to me.

For mid-budget hotels in Vevey try: www.hotelgeneve.ch or www.hotelnegociants.ch or in Montreux www.montreux.ch/helvetie

What month are you traveling?
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM

The bus is the easiest way between Vevey and Montreux. But also the train connects them. It's more than what most people would consider 'walkable' (although that's great Swandav did it!)
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Do Swiss train stations have Left Luggage areas? I'm wondering if on the way from Zermatt stop at Geneva city train station, leave my suitcase for a few hours, do a quick sightseeing of one or two sights in Geneva, and then return to the train station to go on to Vevey or Montreux.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Hi again,

Yes, most medium and large stations have lots of luggage lockers.

However, going from Zermatt to Geneva will pass by Montreux; you'll be backtracking going from Geneva to Montreux.

It might just be best to go from Zermatt to Montreux, check into your hotel (or even just leave your luggage at the Montreux station) then go on to Geneva.

s
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:06 AM

I agree with swandav (since Geneva is not "on the way" from Zermatt to Vevey/Montreux).
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

obviously I need to look at a map! thanks
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

PS, I've just realized my time will overlap with the Montreux Jazz Festival (which I don't care to attend). Should that lead me to stay at Vevey rather than in Montreux?
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM

Hi again,

Yup. Vevey will be relatively quiet. However, I would make arrangements ASAP -- I'd be surprised if you can find anything even in Vevey this close to the Jazz Fest.

s
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Found a room at the Astra in Vevey. More than I wanted to spend, but the location seems very convenient, reviews are good, and many other places are fully-booked. Mea culpa for not checking the dates of the festival in advance.
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Yes definitely stay in Vevey during the Jazz Festival. And you do need to take what you can get at this late date! The hotels in both towns will end up (if they aren't already) fully booked during that time. Or go back to your Geneva plan (but to me that is just plain boring).
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM

swandav i believe spent some education years in Montreux area and is a font of knowledge on the area - an area that offers so many great possibilities and dream towns like Vevey.

Even for a short trip you indicate you are doing enough rail travel to make a Swiss Pass pay off - like a 4-straight day pass if you are only going to be there four days or a 3-day flexi or 8-straight day etc. Passes can also be used on lake boats and buses (either one you can take to Chillon Castle from either Montreux or Vevey) and a lake boat ride on Lac Leman is so so sweet - even can go to France - to Evian-les-Bains to get a taste of France and one of Europe's primo thermal resorts - home of course of Evian bottled mineral waters. Swiss Pass covers the portion of the boat in France as well.
For loads of info on Swiss trains, buses, boats, passes, etc. i always highlight these fantastic sites - www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - you can download the latter's free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail Guide that has a chapter on Switzerland for more ideas on places to go. You could well also go to the fabulous Jungfrau Region - to me the highlight of Switzerland - the Switzerland ethced in your mind's eye - for a few days and still be only a few hours from Geneva Airport by train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -