Local Cote d'Azur travel

Search

Local Cote d'Azur travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local Cote d'Azur travel

I have rented an apartment in Villefranch-sur-Mer in October, and will have a rental car. What I am wondering is if for all the local coastal towns the bus or train service is convenient and cost effective..saving the car for inland etc. trips. I looked at Rail Europe and the passes are something like $250 - $300 for 4 days in 2 months...Am I missing something? What about area bus service? In October the traffic will have eased up, but if there is good local something else we may want to use it. Appreciate any information anyone has.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Don't get a rail pass. I just looked up the price for Nice to Antibes (just for an example) and the cost is 2.90Euro. So the short train trips are very cheap.

I would probably use the car the entire time unless you're going to be spending an entire day in Nice or Monaco for example where parking might be a problem and you might have to pay for parking which would be more expensive than the train ticket.

Otherwise, use your car to explore the coast. There are some lovely drives that you won't see from the train and would be too much walking to explore on foot such as the Esterel Corniche or the area around Juan-les-Pins.
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I thought it must be that way. I have been in the area before but staying in St. Paul de Vence. This super, lovely apt. is walking down the hill to Villefranche-sur-Mer and all is there, along with the train station that it seems people hop on and off regularly. We will give it a try, but have the car too.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Joan...

Suggest you seek out the restaurant La Pignatelle in Beaulieu sur Mer [10, rueQuincet] 04 93 01 03 37
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Railpasses are meant for people making long train trips, and traveling a lot over vacation. Local trains will always be cheaper than any pass, but if you were going to buy a pass, you shouldn't buy a Eurail pass, but a France Railpass, if you only want it for France. That is cheaper than a Eurail Pass.

That one is $218 for four days travel second class (although they have another one for $200 first class, but only 3 days travel). I think it can be cheaper if you get one where you are always traveling with someone. That would not make sense for local trips, but if you wanted some long-distance TGV runs, it might.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 10:37 AM

gracejoan: do you mind if I ask how much the apartment rental is? Also is there a web site? I am very interested in staying in Villefranch. It is such a beautiful place.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I, too have searched and found that the local SNCF train and bus service runs every 1/2 hour along the coastal area. I think we will use it some and the car. I understand that a new train tunnel is being built around Monaco..sooo the car would be best, to go beyond that and into Italy..and of course inland areas.

Barb: my e-mail address is [email protected] If you will contact me there I would be happy to send you the info on the apartment...you will want to leave tomorrow!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM

As others have explained the rail passes are really meant for longer distance trips & I gather in order for them to be worthwhile even then, you have to be taking several of them. I think Rail Europe also charges a considerable "upcharge" & is never a good deal (but I may be confusing it with Eurail). Anyway, you don't want one.

I think you'll enjoy Villefranche. I've stayed in St Paul numerous times &amp; then had one short visit staying in Villefranche &amp; enjoyed having views of the water. Jean Cocteau (playwright, set designer, costume designer) lived there &amp; I believe did some work in the church. He's mentioned in <i>the Da Vinci Code</i>.

I generally use a car to have freedom to stop along the way, come &amp; go as I please, etc. One benefit of the train is it goes closer to the sea at some points than the road &amp; you get some amazing views. I've taken the train to Monaco (from Cagner sur Mer) &amp; views were terrific. The downside is, once there, you may need taxis. So I guess if you're already paying for a rental car, why not use it, esp. in Oct. when traffic won't be so bad? I'm with Adrienne. I'd use the car. If you do decide to use the train, I'd check once you're there whether there's a weekly commuter or visitor pass that might work to your advantage. Otherwise, I can't imagine parking being more expensive than 2 RT train fares.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ron for the restaurant advice...we will put it on our list!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Enjoying the input. The last time in the area I spent 5 days in St. Paul de Vence at the Hotel St. Paul. We did most of the &quot;first time in the area&quot; things, Plus some others..with great dining.

This time with the apt. location being so magnificent and utterly fantastic views, it will be different. The time of the year..early october...should help with the traffic..I hope!! Chances are we will be using the car most of the time......