Europe Train Travel

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe Train Travel

I am traveling through France, Switzereland, and Italy for 3 weeks - staying in three major cities. Was told to purchase a RailSavers Pass, but not sure how it works. If I get a 3 country - 10 day pass,does that mean that if I take side trips from the major cities I'm staying in that the side trip by train will count as 1 day used on the pass???? Do I just need to count the days I'll be using the train and calculate how many days I'll need to purchase? Please help!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
On Railsaver, enter your itinerary and click only if it saves me money. It will tell you whether you need a pass or not and which one if you do. Many times it's cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:41 AM

"If I get a 3 country - 10 day pass,does that mean that if I take side trips from the major cities I'm staying in that the side trip by train will count as 1 day used on the pass????"

Yes. If you are just taking a short side trip, pay for the trip out-of-pocket.

"Do I just need to count the days I'll be using the train and calculate how many days I'll need to purchase? Please help!"

Yes - count up the MAJOR train journeys you know you'll be taking, and get a pass for that number, maybe one more day in case you have a change of plans. Then get regular tickets for the 20-minute jaunt to this town or that, as long as those jaunts don't cost more out of pocket than an extra day on your pass.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM

In case you didn't get this:

The travel days are not preset - if the two of you have the 10-days-in-2-months 3-country Saver pass (or you alone have the 10-days-in-2-months 3-country Select pass), on the first day of usage you need to go to a ticket window and show your passport, the agent will validate your pass once for all, and if you really want to travel that day, the agent will enter that day's date, to use up the first of your ten days.

Any other day you want to make a major trip (or a minor, but that could be wasteful), you yourself enter the date, in ink, before you board a train. If you forget, you're in trouble and you could have the entire pass taken away from you.

Be ready to show the passport at any time (only overseas residents are entitled to the pass and you may have to prove that you are from overseas).

Seems to me that if you only stay in three major cities, a ten-day pass may be overkill - will you really make ten majorly expensive train trips that - if you added them up - will cost more in cash than the price of the pass? Do your sums, maybe a 5-days-in-2-months pass will do just fine, and for a few short trips here and there you simply pay cash. There are often discounts on local trains, regional promotional fares, weekend fares, excursion fares, all kinds of discounts if you ask.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM

If you can post your planned itinerary, particularly those short sidetrips, I am sure there are plenty of us here that can tell you can save with local tickets vs a railpass.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:03 AM

So let me try to clarify something, this Railsaver pass, is this for all trains in the specific countries you specify, i.e. I could get the 4 day pass, and use it for say, the TGV from Nice to Paris on one of my days? Or are there restrictions?
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 07:25 AM
ira

Hi lee,

>this Railsaver pass, is this for all trains in the specific countries you specify,..<

No. It gives you trip on a regular train without seat reservations or sleepers.

High-speed trains, TGV, ES*, THALYS require a supplement.

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:20 AM

Just so as not to confuse this pass with the RailSaver website, I think you are talking about a "Eurail Select Pass Saver". It is a pass sold by Eurail, which is a consortium of European rail companies, select means you can select 3 to 5 countries and a number of not-necessarily-consecutive days, saver means you save money by sharing it with one or more other people traveling with you.

RailSaver is a website which attempts to tell you if you should purchase point to point tickets or a rail pass, but in my opinion, doesn't do a very good job of it.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I am hoping that Larry maybe able to help me. We are 2 adults, 1 senior, 2 15 year olds..total of 5
I am trying to figure out using the train/costs/time and if I could use the Lander tickets .
Here is our city to city travel:
Frankfurt Airport to Rothenburg (2 nts)
Rothenburg to Munich (2nts)
Munich to Reutte (1 nt)
Reutte to Innsbruck (1 nt)
Then to Venice/Florence/Rome

Thank you for your help!

We were thinking of van in Germany and Innsbruck but I am finding the rental costs to be really high. I thought we could get a van for around 100 Euro a day but have found it to be much higher.

We thought diving would be enjoyable but also want to consider the train.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
K

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:47 AM

This is a good case for using the Länder tickets.

FRA to Rothenburg: use an RMV group day ticket (Gruppentageskarte) for €22,00 to Kahl am Main and a Bayern ticket for €27,00 from there to Rothenburg. If you buy the tickets at the counter in the Reisezentrum in the Regionalbahnhof, the Bayern ticket will cost you €2 extra, but you will know you have the correct trains and tickets. There are direct Regional Express (RE4609, RE4611, RE4613, etc) trains every hour at about half past from Frankfurt main station (Hauptbahnhof) to Würzburg.

Rothenburg to Munich: If you are traveling on a weekday, the first train you can take with a Bayern Ticket leaves Rothenburg at 9:06 and connects through Steinach and Treuchtlingen, getting into Munich at about 12:30.

Munich to Reutte: The Außerfernbahn, the line from Garmisch-Partenkirchen (GaP) through Austria to Reutte in Tirol, is run by DB, so you can use a Bayern Ticket on it. There is a Regional Bahn (RB5417) leaving Munich at 10:32, connecting in GaP, and getting into Reutte at 12:59.

Reutte to Innsbruck: You could use a Bayern Ticket to Mittenwald via GaP and point to point tickets from Mittenwald to Innsbruck, but I believe there is a less expensive way. The VVT (Verkehrsverbund Tirol) runs a bus every two hours from Reutte to Innsbruck. It will cost €13,20 for each adult; the 15 year olds should qualify for youth Spar (savings) tickets for €7,30 each. You might also be able to use the same fare with the train via GaP; inquire at the Bahnhof. The train leaves about midway timewise between the buses and takes about the same time.

So, by my calculations, an RMV Gruppentageskarte, three Bayern Tickets, and a VVT ticket from Reutte to Innsbruck should come to €157,20 (about $200).

Innsbruck to Venice: if you leave for Venice from Innsbruck, I can't help you much with lower fare tickets. There should be a special from Austrian Rail, but you might have to call them to get it. If you rearrange your schedule to leave for Venice from Munich, there is a daily direct Eurocity (EC) connection, and it is possible to purchase "Europa-Spezial" tickets in advance online from DB for €29 per person.

You can find all the train schedules at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en.

Larryincolorado (at hotmail.com)
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I will go over the details and continue to learn more about train travel.
-K