Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Livorno - Which Would You Choose?.................

Aug 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

We're considering a Mediterranean cruise and one of the ports if Livorno. We've narrowed our day tour to one of the following three and was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to which would make the most sense.

#1) Florence On Your Own: A bus would drop us off in Florence (3 hour round trip ride) where we would have 6 hours to wander on our own. We were to Florence about 10 years ago and spent 3 nights, so we've covered most of the major sights. Of course the chance to spend another afternoon in Florence doesn't come around often. We would take in some of the second tier attractions we didn't have time for the first time around and have lunch at a nice outdoor cafe and just soak up the ambiance.

#2) Cinque Terre: 2 hour ride to Manarola where a guide would show us around and than some free time. 30 minute sail to Montrosso, with free time for lunch or a swim. Finally sail to Vernazza and spend free time before returning to La Spezia by boat and than back to the ship. Having never been to Cinque Terre not sure a 10 hour tour could do it justice but than again it would be something new for both of us.

#3) San Gimignano & Siena: 90 minute ride to San G. with a guide and free time to explore. Next, lunch at a nearby farmhouse heading to Siena, 1 hour away. Again a guide and free time on your own. Then return to the ship, total 10 hour tour. Would be all new for me, my wife was to Siena some years ago.

Any opinions on which sounds like the right choice from those who have been to any or all of the above.

Thanks.
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM

#2 sounds good to me, you would cover alot of ground and see new places in an easy way.
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM

What time of year?
Aug 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

October.
Aug 11th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Since this is October. I would not pick CT, and you've already been to Florence, so Siena and San Gim sound best to me. There will be fewer tourists in each which is better and the guides can give you wonderful knowledge of the towns and areas.
Aug 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
ira

Ditto JN
Aug 11th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

"Since this is October. I would not pick CT"

Why is that? Is the weather an issue in CT, I thought Oct was a good time of the year for a visit.
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM

I would not pay any of those robbers and do my own thing in Lucca and Pisa---by train and taxi.
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Been to Pisa. With a limited amount of time we generally do the ship.s tour. It is overpriced but guarantees you won't miss the ship.
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Well we have done a cruise that stops in Livorno and we went to Luca - I think there is another post running currently that discusses this.

If I chose one of your options, personally I would go with #3. CT would be nice on a good day but there is more bus time involved. Florence, spent time there on a land trip - would much rather just hang / wander in Siena and San Gim.
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM

#2 boat is weather dependent. There are no protected harbors where you are visiting. Even in August, of the three days I was there, the boat ran only one day.

I have been to all three. Considering the time of the year and your time constraint, #3 seems to be a match. If you do travel in Italy in future, stopping by Florence is pretty much given if you travel to and from Rome to the Northern Italy.
Aug 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM
JBX

Here's that thread of another poster going on a cruise in October w/ a stop in Livorno. Hmmmm, any chance you'll be on same boat??

A day in Lucca ......
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...y-in-lucca.cfm

Sounds like you're more comfortable going on one of the 3 day trips being offered by your cruise line. #2 (CT) - could be a nice way to get a taste of Cinque Terre, but not sure why you'd want to do more boat rides when you're already cruising? Also, if weather is good, the CT can be great ..... but, if not ......
#3 (SanG/Siena) - THIS is your best option of the trio ..... sunny? rainy? Doesn't matter ...... these towns ooze charm.
Aug 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

"Hmmmm, any chance you'll be on same boat??"

No we'll be in about a week earlier.
Aug 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM

#3; You have not been there. and they are GREAT to see.