Revised Italy Itinerary, suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to fine tune our holiday to Italy in October next year. What do you think of the following itinerary.

Day 1: Fri - flying from Paris to Milan, train to Cinque Terre
4 nights CT - this will be Fri to Mon nights over a weekend do you think it would be too crowded. Hoping to stay in Venazza or Manarola.
4 nights Florence - day trips to San Gimignano etc
Train to Siena pick up hire car 7 nights Tuscany based either Montepulciano or similar ( most rentals are from Saturday to Sat so dates fit in here.)
Drive to Lucca drop off car 3 nights
Train to Bologna 3 nights
Train to Venice 4 nights fly home

Some thoughts: - DH does not want to be packing/unpacking too much.
- Was originally going to go to Lucca after CT but then dates didn't fit for our week around Tuscan hills as most rentals are from saturday to saturday.
- Thinking of catching a bus from Florence to Siena. Looking around and then picking up our car in the afternoon to drive south. Problems where to store luggage?
- Drop Lucca or Bologna? spend more time at 1 base?

Do you think this is a reasonable itinerary?
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Three nights is more than enough for Cinque Terre.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM

aussie_10,
You can store your luggage at the Siena bus station (under Piazza Gramsci) http://www.sitabus.it/sita-toscana/F...-Siena2010.pdf

For the end of October consider http://www.montalcino-tuscany.it/sagra_del_tordo.htm

For hill towns http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/tuscany/hs_planning.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Looks pretty good to me. Some petty quibbles. 4 nights are a lot in the CT, especially in October. (Is it early October? Late October?) If the weather's bad, you'll have nothing to do for 3 days. If the weather's good, once you walk the trail between the towns you will have pretty much exhausted the local entertainment. Nothing to do for 2 of the 3 days. I shouldn't think there will be a lot of other tourists in October.

You could spend your time in a bigger town on the Ligurian Riviera, like Santa Margherita Ligure, and just train one day to the CT.

Or you could give one or 2 of those nights to another destination. In particular you could add more time to Florence, especially if you're using some of those 4 days to daytrip. (I'd wait until you have a car to see San Gimignano.) Or give another day to Venice.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM

You can fly from Paris to Pisa on Easy Jet very cheaply. We paid $50 each in October, including taxes and a bag each. Pisa's closer to CT than Milan.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM

I agree with suggestion to fly into Pisa.

I actually think you do better keeping your 4 nights in le Cinque Terre, because you maximize your chances of hitting good weather. The mistake a lot of people make off-season is to try to predict which 2 days in October won't have rain. In October, it seldom rains 4 days straight -- or even 3 days straight. So if you get 2 days of rain, you will usually get 2 days of sun. If you get rain for any of your four days, visit Sarzana on one, and Chiavari on another. La Spezia has a couple of much-neglected museums. Try Pietrasanta by train if you run out rainy-day amuseuments.

Personally, I would head to Lucca after that, then pick up a car there or in Pisa to start your Tuscan countryside touring. Drop off the car in Florence at the end of the week, see that city, then go to Bologna. (If you are not wildly interested in Renaissance art, consider skipping Florence except as a day trip from Bologna).

Lucca bores me and Bologna fascinates me, so if you need to drop someplace, I'm going to suggest Lucca, except as a possible day trip from Florence, or le Cinque Terre.

Have you picked a Bolognese honeymoon stay? I recently stayed at this place, and it is a perfect dream of a palazzo in a great central location:

http://www.anticacasazucchini.it/engl/

Ask for the Corniglia room, or Guido.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM

I would either skip Lucca or visit it as a day trip from Florence. Then you can add a day to Florence so you can do a few day trips from there. That reduces your hotel moves by one.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Sorry -- I just realized you might not be honeymooning! (Mixing you up with other posters).

And correcting a typo: The room to ask for is Cornelia, not Corniglia.

But speaking of Corniglia, or any le Cinque Terre town, when it is rainy with nothing to do in le Cinque Terre, it is rainy with nothing to do in Santa Margherita Ligure. October weather is simply unpredicatble on the Riviera. This October, some days people were even swimming (right uo to Nov 3). Other days, it was pouring. Personally, I think it is as uncomfortable to be trying to move around Lucca in the rain, with just as little to do indoors (and no pesto!!!). If you don't like to get wet, extend your stay in Bologna with its 35 km of arcaded, covered sidewalks (or like I said, head to Chiavari, which also has a lot of protection from the rain and great food).
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Nice trip---can I tag along?
I agree to change the sequence if you can---Lucca, then Tuscany, then Florence.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all the great suggestions!

I have looked into flights to Pisa, great idea. On the list.
We will arrive CT on Fri 30th Sept. Yes weather plays a big part in CT a little rain does not bother us. Originally I had 3 nights CT hubby added the extra but is flexible.

We are tied by the week in Tuscany as most places seem to book sat to sat. SO if we leave CT on Sun or Mon it doesn't leave enough time for 3 nights Lucca and 4 nights Florence. We have been to Florence 30 years ago on a quick trip, but did like it and thought it would be a good base. And no honeymoon trip more like 30year anniversary!

If we could drop a night at CT leaving Monday for Florence adding another night to Florence (total 5 nights, too much?) for a day trip to Lucca.
- Then train to Siena pick up car to Montepulciano 7 nights. Thanks for the storage idea.
- Maybe drive back up to San Gimignano overnight (Saturday, busy on weekend?) in the area. Can we drop the car in San Gimignano? and train or bus on to Bologna that would give us another day in Bologna. Or is it an easy drive to Bologna from San Gimignano. Remember we are driving on the "other" side of the road and are those tales of Italian drivers true?!

Its like a jigsaw puzzle trying to make the pieces fit.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can drop your car in Siena and take the Sena bus to Bologna. Travel time is about two hours and cost is 10€ for advance purchase of two weeks (online with Baltour).

http://www.sena.it/
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 05:38 PM

aussie,

It seems to me as if you are planning to pick up your rental car in Siena on a Sat afternoon. I doubt that will work, as the office will probably be closed. The Hertz offices where we picked up (Siena) and dropped (Orvieto) were closed on Sat afternoons and all day Sundays. This was years ago, but I doubt it's changed so check your locations.

Either plan to get your car upon arrival in the morning at Siena, or get it at a larger city - Florence and just drive down or another location.

We had 3 nts in Santa Maria Ligure and tried to add a nt, but our next hotel wouldn't allow a cancellation with less than 24 hours notice. We were there in mid-May though- with perfect weather.

My my tastes, I would not want to spend 5 nts in Florence. 2-3 tops. How about a visit to another, new city or town? I loved everywhere I visited in Umbria - Todi, Orvieto, Spello, Gubbio, Assisi, Montefalco.....
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Dayle - yes had not even thought of the saturday afternoon pickup and drop off, thank you. I will have to factor that in to my plans.

The longer Florence stay thought, was to use it as a base to explore the environs. Yes there is the option of renting a car in Florence (hopefully an easy exit route?) and making our way south with a 1 or 2 night stop off on our way to Montelpuciano.

Or as you suggested further south to Umbria but keeping in mind we would be going back up north after that.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Hi Aussie,
loved your France TR!!

My small contrib here: how much time do you actually want to spend IN Florence? I sk, becuse another idea is to use somewhere outside the city as a base and do one or two day trips INTO train nto Florence. Like your DH, i'd rather settle in without too much moving or packing.

We also found hte one week villa Sat to Sat a big hassle.Are youabsolutely sure that wille the case even in October? (I noticed some places are more flexible at different times of the yr). Alas, we could not fit a strict Sat to Sat into our plans, so booked instead at an agriturismo.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks CaliNurse - my trip report sure was a labour of love! But we had such a wonderful time and memorable experiences I wanted to share our France trip with people who had helped me plan it.

Now on to Italy the land of Gelato! Yes must admit I hadnt thought of that arrangement for Florence. We loved our France experience because we had at least 1 week at each accommodation and did day trips from there. However we did have a car for the whole time.

I have only viewed villa websites that state 1 week or maybe less at short notice and as I am a plan ahead gal they may not be too keen to take shorter bookings yet. I am still searching accommodations so am trying to get a definite itinerary happening.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Hey again, Aussie.

Some of the agriturismos are so small that your group (am i wrong in assuming you and DH are going again with friends?) might feel that it is YOUR place. And you have the flexibility of not being locked in to that darned Sat to Sat thing.

We are staying at one that is nr the local train 30 minutes or less to Florence, so we can leave the car at the farm,and use it just for trips to towns in Tuscany.

Whatever you decide--good luck! We are going (if the paychecks hold up) in June and I will return the favor to you and post a trip report.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Calinurse
Most of our trip this time will be solo. Friends may join part of it and maybe my son and girlfriend will meet up with us.
We are flying in to Frankfurt spending a few days around Mosel river - Cochem. Then on to Alsace, a little stop in Paris. I could not be that close and not pay a visit to the lovely Paris. Then our Italy holiday starts.

That sounds like a good plan of yours to stay just out of Florence, are you travelling with a group? Have a great trip, I will look forward to your trip report. I was thrilled to get an email from Fodors to say that a couple of parts of my trip report were quoted in the new Fodors Paris 2011 book. And they sent me a copy, so now I'm published ha ha. I wish they would send me back to write some more. All expenses paid of Course!
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:35 PM

Congrats, Aussie_10. Yes, it is exciting that you are now published travel writer!!! Bravissima, Signora!! (I am quoted in the California Fodors book, so i know the fun feeling.)

Just as an example, of a Tuscan "villa" that requires less than a week (in this case, 4 days minimum) and not aparticular day of the week:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...3?uni_id=79323

I dont know about it--just mentioning it here to show there are some with more flexibility even in October.

I am traveling with my daughter.
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi CaliNurse is this where you are staying it looks great?

Hmm maybe I will have to do a bit more researching.

Congratulations on the quote in Fodors, it does give you a good feeling.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Aussie10,

I suggest you day trip to Lucca from le Cinque Terre during the 4 nights you plan to spend there.

Five nights in Florence would not be too much for me, especially if you add a day trip to Arezzo or some other location that is not jammed up with tourists. Give yourselves some elbow room and a taste of Italian life independent of tourism.

If you overnight in San Gimignano, drop off your car in Pisa and take the train to Bologna or, better yet, drive your car to the Bologna airport and take a taxi or bus from there into town.

I also want to add that while a great many posters on Fodor's do not enjoy the spectacular sights of Florence, or its bustling atmosphere, if you are interested in art, science and this hsitory of western civilisation, the city is almost inexhaustible in terms of beauty and interest. It also makes a great base for day trips to Fiesole, Siena and Pisa, which also have incomprable sights.

Italy and in particular its wine country, has very understandably become a very popular vacation destination for people who like to hike, do scenic driving, enjoy lounging poolside and seeing picturesque nature in the background, not all that different from the vacations people in enjoy in Utah, Greece, the Scottish isles, Hawaii, etc.

But it can still be highly rewarding to visit and admire Italy's spectacular historic and artistic treasure, and that is more enjoyably done if you don't try to cram a rich art city into 2-3 nights tops, but instead take your time to absorb what's in front of you.

But if a scenic vacation is what you are after, you should follow the advice to stay out of Florence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -