Lisbon, taxi from Airport to Hotel

Jul 5th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Lisbon, taxi from Airport to Hotel

I recall that it was a good idea upon arriving to Lisbon to go one flight up and take a taxi at the Arrivals área, ... Has anyone taken a taxi this WAY lately?

How much is a taxi ride from Airport to Hotel Britania , during week day , mid morning,
With two small suitcases? I am only hoping to find out how much aproximately it might be....thank you for your help.
Jul 5th, 2013, 02:47 AM

Taxi should be around 15€.

You should take a taxi from the official taxi rank outside Arrivals. I don't remember it being up one level.

If you were thinking about trying to grab a taxi which has just let someone off at Departures, why would you do this? They aren't supposed to pick up fares without going back to the official rank.
Jul 5th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Because I read in SE real travel blogs it is the thing to do...?
Jul 5th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I meant in several travel blogs
Jul 5th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Well, the bloggers must know something I don't or my memory is faulty and I don't remember that the taxi rank is one flight up from Arrivals.
Jul 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I guess they meant Departures is one flight up.

They were suggesting as you guessed right not to make the taxi line on the lower Arrival area, where taxis are waiting for arrival passengers and instead go up one floor to the departure area and take a taxi there.
After reading this in several traveling blogs or sites mostly dated a few years ago I was wondering if today things have changed .
Jul 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Unless you are going a very short run, that is usually not the right thing to do. Friends have told us to do that in Madrid when we are just going nearby to their house.. so that is the only time we do it. Not sure about Lisbon. Probably similar reasoning.
Jul 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM

Or you can take the Aerobus to the stop closest to Hotel Britania for a lot less. If I recall it is about a 2 block walk from the bus stop to the hotel.
Jul 7th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you go away. The bus is a bus with a separated luggage compartiment? If it is , that is a great tip. Tks a Lot, I could spend the taxi fare in Portugueses pastries.......mm!
Jul 7th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

It makes sense what you tell me lincasanova, the right thing to do.
The question is why is people tempted to do the wrong thing, I do not know in Europe but unfortunately in Buenos Aires 's Retiro station, and in the ferry port, where there is an intense passenger trafic from nearby Uruguay, the taxis in line are mostly crooks, so people know they should be avoided, the option is to get one of the taxis with incoming pax. Glad to know this is not happening in such a way in a lisbon and Madrid.
Jul 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM

We found taxis very reasonable in Lisbon. Taxi drivers do get a bad rap many places and justifyingly so.. but there ARE supplements some places and I think that is where the fee is different than what is on the meter and causes confusion.

I also try to avoid taking taxis unless really necessary or price is similar to a couple people on the bus, etc.

Good luck!
Jul 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Lisbon taxi drivers have been known NOT to turn on the meters!One taxi tried to cheat me and told me the fare was 40euros-I refused and said I would go into the hotel and ask someone from the front desk to help me out -magically the fare dropped to 20! On the way back to the airport the fare was about 12!
On my next trip I took the bus-cheaper and very easy to find/use.Just walk out the terminal and follow the signs.There is even a board that let's you know when the next bus is coming.
Jul 7th, 2013, 05:04 PM

Depending on your physical circumstances, bags, etc. taking the metro directly at the airport is
quite easy and I believe the Britania is also close to a metro stop.

Alternatively taxis are generally quick and reasonable.
Jul 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

A reliable taxi would be my First option but as every one else I hate to be chiten by a taxi driver so I guess the bus seems a good option . Thank you for let me know.
Once in Porto we were staying in a beautiful hotel in a very nice suburb, although we had a car we took taxis in town and back everyday. One day I cought the taxi driver an older guy choosing Tariff 2, instead of Tarrif 1 , so I told him. He turned red of shame, frankly I was in a way sorry for him, may be he had been talked into doing something he knew was wrong.
Today I would imagine that the red face part of this story is not likely to repeat itself.
Jul 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM

I take taxis from the Lisbon airport at least three times a year. The doorman in the hotel where I stay advised me to get a cab from the line in the Departures side rather than in Arrivals. There is a separate line of cabs waiting to pick people up from Departures, you will not jump into a cab that has just dropped someone off.

The doorman's reasoning is that the people who are interested in finding an unsuspecting foreigner to overcharge are not going to go to the Departures line. I do follow his advice and haven't had a problem, though in earlier years when I got the cabs in Arrivals, I frequently had to fight with a cabbie trying to overcharge me.
Jul 8th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

There you go , thank you Ireynold1,,
what you are telling confirms what I had read before and makes sense .
I am the kind of person that takes taxis from airports upon arrival but of course I would like to avoid a fight with a cabbie trying to over charge me. ........ ( Something more frequent these days all over the world )
Note, Is it me? , or on my last trip to Washington DC, last year, I had an issue with 90% of the taxis!
All kind of little annoying issues.
Jul 8th, 2013, 11:36 PM

That is interesting that there is a separate line allowing taxis to do that. Good idea then. let us know how it goes. ( In Spanish airports it is really not allowed to pick up at departures but it is tolerated for short runs, it seems).