Search

Lisbon in September

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon in September

Hello all,

Hubby & I will be in Lisbon for 2 full days following a cruise. I have designed a packed itinerary (realizing we will not get to everything - it's just a general guide ). Would love suggestions: (1) in what area should I book a hotel (2) anything I should totally skip or add? (3) or should we plan to do a day trip to Sintra one of the days and cram all of the Lisbon highlights in to one day? (4) is everything in the best order for visiting - assuming we do try to do most of the things listed? (5) dinner suggestions day #2? About us: we love biking/hiking/walking, wine/craft beer, all food (although I am a pescatarian but hubby eats meat), scenic views, wandering through cool markets and shops with local craft home items/gifts... While we enjoy history and art, they are not on the top of our list this trip given we only have 48 hours... Thank you in advance!Day 1:

1. Ride the Tram 28 route. You can ride the tram, but wait is long and there are a lot of pickpockets. Takes you through some of the city's most picturesque neighborhoods. You can hire a Tuktuk to drive the route. Taking Tram 28 can be a unique and enjoyable experience, especially if you want to see some of Lisbon's picturesque neighborhoods and historical landmarks. The tram route passes through several charming districts, including Alfama, Baixa, Graça, and Estrela, offering you a glimpse of the city's traditional and historical side.

2. Start in Baixa district - Visit Rossio Square and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere. This attractively paved square is a social focal point with cafes, restaurants, pastry shops, and the National Theatre. Be sure to sample some authentic Ginjinha (cherry liqueur) in the adjoining square (ask for a plastic cup).

3.Café Brasileira: After exploring Baixa, head to Café A Brasileira, in the Chiado district for a coffee break – it’s a national monument and authentic café from the early 1900s. Very good croissant. You can also take a moment to admire the bronze statue of Fernando Pessoa outside the café.

4. Walk along Rua Augusta, the main pedestrian street in Baixa, known for its shops, restaurants, and street performances. This bustling street connects Rossio Square with Commerce Square. The Rua Augusta Arch is an iconic monument located at the northern end of Rua Augusta.

5. Time Out Market Lisbon: Incorporate the Time Out Market Lisbon into your Baixa district exploration. It's located on the other side of Rua Augusta, near Cais do Sodré. You can enjoy a wide variety of delicious food and drinks from different vendors representing some of Lisbon's best chefs and eateries.

6. Explore Commerce Square and take a stroll along the riverside promenade. It’s one of Lisbon's grandest squares, facing the Tagus River. The square is surrounded by impressive yellow buildings and offers a fantastic riverside promenade.

7. Head to the Elevador de Santa Justa for a panoramic view of the city. It’s a neo-Gothic elevator that connects the Baixa district with the Bairro Alto district.

8. Visit the National Tile Museum to learn about Portugal's tile-making history. Convent cloisters dating from 1509 provide a stunning setting for the National Tile Museum. Decorative panels, individual tiles, and photographs trace the evolution of tile-making from its introduction by the Moors, through Spanish influence, and the development of Portugal’s own style.

9. Explore São Jorge Castle, an ancient Moorish castle, for breathtaking city views.

10. Evening: Make your way to Bairro Alto to experience Lisbon's lively nightlife and enjoy dinner at one of the trendy restaurants.– at night, this neighborhood comes to life! It is known for its narrow, picturesque streets filled with colorful buildings adorned with azulejos (decorative tiles). Discover some of Lisbon's best viewpoints in Bairro Alto.

11. Dinner: Cervejaria Trindade is a historic and beautiful brewery housed in a former monastery, and it's known for its seafood and traditional Portuguese dishes. It offers a unique dining experience in an atmospheric setting.

Day 2:

1. Visit the Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara and Miradouro de Santa Catarina for stunning panoramic views.

2. Stroll through Alfama - wander the narrow streets and experience the authentic atmosphere. Alfama is best done in the morning when it's less crowded and more tranquil. Enjoy the traditional Fado music in one of the many restaurants and soak in the authentic atmosphere. In Alfama, you will find locals selling homemade cherry liquor on the street or from their home’s window for a euro. Definitely give it a try!

3. Visit Miradouro da Graça for more breathtaking city views. It's close to Alfama, so you can make a short detour to reach this viewpoint.

4. Lunch: Casa do Alentejo, Restored in 1919, this restaurant has a tranquil interior with a Neo-Moorish indoor courtyard with patio and fountain (near Rossio Square).

5. Explore Belém (it’s a bit farther from the city center) - visit Belém Tower, Jerónimos Monastery, and the Discoveries Monument. Don't forget to try the famous pastéis de Belém (custard tarts) at Pastéis de Belém bakery. Try Antiga Confeitaria de Belem (Old Pastry Shop of Belem): A 19th century café which makes the best and the original Portuguese custard cakes (pasteis de Belem).

6. Head to the Porto Wine Institute. It is located in the city center, not far from Belém. At the Porto Wine Institute, you can learn about the history and production of port wine and enjoy tastings of this renowned Portuguese wine.

7. Experience LX Factory (Alcântara district): This trendy creative hub is filled with shops, restaurants, and art spaces in a former industrial complex. It's a great place to experience Lisbon's hip and artistic side.

8. Take a peaceful break at the Botanical Garden and enjoy the greenery.

9. As the sun sets, head to Miradouro da Senhora do Monte and Miradouro das Portas do Sol in Alfama. These viewpoints offer some of the best sunset views in Lisbon.
10. Dinner TBD

Food to try: bacalhau – fresh cod, Pastéis de bacalhau, Sericá, Sericaia, or Cericá (dessert), Grilled sardines, Cataplana de marisco – seafood, Caldo Verde (soup), Queijada de feijão (pastry), Pasteis de Nata (egg tart), Galão (Portuguese caffe latte).

Thank you!!!
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 01:26 PM

At a quick glance of your itinerary, I suggest visiting Sao Jorge Castle the same day you walk through the Alfama. They are right next to each other.

Our favorite restaurant is Cervejaria Ramiro, recommended by Anthony Bourdain. Very fresh and very delicious fish and shellfish. All kinds. They might only have one meat dish.

I don't see how you could possibly do all of this. We spent about 3/4 of a day just in Belem.

I would spend both days in Lisbon. Save Sintra for another visit. Do you have extra days in Lisbon on the cruise?
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 01:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Our favorite Lisbon restaurant (and they were all good) was Taberna Moderna (our story on it in link below)
Good luck getting on the Elevador de Santa Justa. Lines were long from early morning until well into the night.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/tab...sbon-portugal/
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in Lisbon for 4 days after a cruise. September is lovely weather.
Our hotel was The Internacional Design Hotel on Rossio Square, a perfect area for walking to so many sights.

https://www.idesignhotel.com/

The things I would skip are the tram and the Elevator Santa Justa….the lines for both are ridiculous.

I think you have way too many things on your schedule, but that’d just me.

Obviously you will not be interested in the beginning of my trip report as it is our cruise, but if you scroll down to the end you will see what we enjoyed in our 4 days in Lisbon.

Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:19 PM

Same for the elevator santa justa
Our hotel was round the corner and we planned to jump on but we passed the queue numerous times day and night without it seeming to get much smaller
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Scroll to the end to see our take on Lisbon.

Dublin--Scilly--Betanzos--Porto--Vigo--Lisbon
Old Jul 19th, 2023, 05:00 PM

I agree with the people who suggest skipping the tram and the Elevator Santa Justa. We didn't do either one and I do not feel that we missed out on anything. There were always long lines and this was in April. Unless for some bizarre reason there aren't any lines. Please keep in mind that there are pickpockets on the crowded trams.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Karen! The cruise ends in Lisbon, we can get off the boat as early as 6AM on Wednesday, then we fly home Friday at noon - so we have two full days. I realize we won't get to do everything on my list, I wanted to get everything that sounded interesting on paper then I will do some more research to pick the things that are "must-dos" (all subject to change once we get there LOL). Thank you for your suggestions! - I have added the Castle and restaurant.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you TPAYT. I realize we won't get to do everything on my list, I wanted to get everything that sounded interesting on paper then I will do some more research to pick the things that are "must-dos" (all subject to change once we get there LOL). The more I read, I agree we should skip the tram - I have been on the subway in Japan and it was not a pleasant experience, sounds like the tram might be similar. Just happy to see it and take some photos. Thanks for the hotel suggestion and sharing your trip report too!
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who responded for the suggestions!!
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 02:14 PM

That's a really packed itinerary, you won't have time to do it all.
One of the issues is the distance between attractions because your itinerary is all over the city.

Take a look at a map to figure which attractions are close to each other and how to get there ( walking, public transit, taxi, etc).

This site has an itinerary for 48 hours in Lisbon - notice how they concentrate on 3 areas to maximize the sightseeing, it might helpful in your planning.

https://lisbonlisboaportugal.com/lis...rary-tour.html
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 05:22 PM

Bear in mind that Lisbon is extremely hilly and so all of the walking will take much longer than you think. Your itinerary is quite extensive but I agree with the other posters, eliminate the Elevador San Justa as whenever we passed it and it was right near our hotel, the line was extremely long. We had visited Lisbon for three nights at the end of a longer driving trip through Portugal. On our third day we took a concierge arranged tour to Sintra through Hello Portugal than also included Cascais and a stop at the marker for the most westernmost part of continental Europe. Our guide was very informative about all things Lisbon and all things Portugal and we learned quite a lot plus it was very effective. You don't have time to get to Sintra unless you eliminate some of your plans. I would also drop riding on the historic tram. In addition to it being a haven for pickpockets the lines to board are quite lengthy.
Lisbon has a great vibe and it was especially festive when we were there because it was during the World Cup. We loved our hotel, a boutique hotel, the BeHotel Lisboa on the walking street between Rossio Square and the Praca. We did take a regular modern tram from Rossio that went to the Belem area. Too long a line to visit the Jeronomo Monastery but we had visited several other monasteries during our time in the country. Too long a line in the hot sun at the famous pastry shop however out hotel provided fresh pastries every day in the lobby and we had breakfast in Rossio Square at the oldest pastry shop in Lisbon.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 05:37 AM

>> “Bear in mind that Lisbon is extremely hilly…”

That’s no exaggeration! It was a wake-up call for me that I need to get more exercise at home. We wandered all over the city, got off at one stop on Tram 28 for refreshments, and there was a view of a cruise ship docked at the harbour far below. The only thing I didn’t like about Tram 28, apart from the long wait in the queue to board, was that most of the route was through narrow streets without much of a view.