Lisbon Apartment location question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2020, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an apartment on booking.com on Rua Garrett, 26. Is this a good location? We will probably be in Lisbon for 5 nights so I would rather have an apartment over a hotel.

It looks very convenient, possibly a bit touristy, but as we will be there in mid-April, I don’t imagine it would be too crazy.

I have some walking difficulties and would prefer not to be on the top of rhe hills.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 10:26 AM

Yes, it's the major shopping street of the upmarket and attractive Chiado, but it's a busy street these days. We've stayed in an apartment at the end of Rua Garret at Praça Luis Camões.
But...it is at the top, on the plateau. But you have the escalators of the Baixa-Chiado metro station to take you down to the Baixa, the flat area.
You can't avoid climbs entirely in Lisbon because it's such a very hilly city, but you can mitigate them somewhat.

If you need a flat area, you might want to find something in the Baixa but closer to Rossio Square, north, than to Praça do Comercio, which gets a huge amount of pedestrian traffic, especially when several large cruise ships are docked in Lisbon, because this huge square is the gateway to the city.

You might look at O Artista Boutique Suites on Rua das Portas de Santo Antão. I've had friends who stayed there last July. Or Brown's Central, but it's closer to Praça do Comercio. It also gets solid reviews. But they are suites rather than apartments.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel. I can manage some uphill, so if it’s not too much up and down, this apartment should be okay. It looks like it’s near a metro stop. It’s hard to know when a place is too busy with tourists or just lively enough to give it character.

I did check out the O Artista Boutique Suites looks great but it’s much more than I want to spend (@ $1400/5 nights). I’ll look at Browns, too.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 12:33 PM

progol,
Since the apartment is at Rua Garret 26 it will be just a half block from the Baixa-Chiado metro where the escalators are, a very easy walk.
Here's a video:

Another way to avoid the climb from Baixa to Chiado is to use the escalator/elevator combo in the Armazéns do Chiado shopping mall right at the beginning of Rua Garret. People also use it as an exit from Chiado to Baixa.

And in a pinch, electric tuk tuks abound and you can catch one from the Rua Garret. Also Uber works in Lisbon and regular taxis are inexpensive.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Love the video! Thanks so much for the information! It looks like the place will be manageable, ​​​​​ one way or another.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Maribel (or anyone else),
I’m looking at a flat located at 10 Travessa João de Deus. Fodorite tedgale stayed there and recommended it. I’ve read that it’s pretty quiet and seems to be much less in the middle of the tourist crush compared to the location at Rua Garrett, 26, and is still pretty close to the metro stop and elevators.

is this a better location? How is the hill steepness compared to Rua Garrett?
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Anyone able to compare these 2 locations?
Thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 11:58 AM

progol,
I know the street. From here you'll have more climbing, as it sits higher up, in the Bairro Alto. And the Bairro Alto is the nightlife district, although that one block long street is not in the thick of it but instead to the east of the club district.

For me, it would be easier, less strenuous to stick to the Rua Garret location, which is more central, and use the metro escalators to go up and down from Chiado to Baixa.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Is the second apartment much higher? I had canceled the Rua Garrett apartment but it looks looks like I was able to rebook it. Is the second apartment significantly more strenuous?

I really like the manager - he’s been very good about communicating, so before I cancel that apartment, I just want to make sure I’m doing the smarter thing.

Last edited by progol; Feb 11th, 2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:19 PM

It's only 3 blocks higher.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, 3 blocks doesn’t sound too bad! I have a month to make a decision, one way or another.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 01:27 PM

No, 3 blocks isn't bad. It's just an uphill climb but it's impossible in Lisbon to avoid all the climbs! I would go with whatever apartment looks more comfortable to you and the ease of communicating with the apartment manager.