Lisbon & around - itinerary help

Apr 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Lisbon & around - itinerary help

We shall be in Lisbon for 4 days in September (sleep every night in Lisbon). We need guidance on what to do during these 4 days. I know we want to make a day trip to Sintra. Can we also cover Estoril & Cacais ? What would the experienced travellers recommend ? We are less interested in museums, and more interested in getting a flavour of local culture. Also, we are vegetarians ! Please help.
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM

I'm bringing my Lisbon report to the top so you can get some ideas. I was there in March for four days and LOVED Lisbon.
Apr 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM

http://www.golisbon.com/

http://www.portugalvirtual.pt/_tourism/costadelisboa/

I found a car very handy in Lisbon as it is spread about. Very little in Sintra but it is a nice little town. Cascais I had a drive around and left.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:06 AM

I would not get a car for Lisbon. We used public transportation. The trams, buses and trains are easy, clean and cheap. We even used the train for Cascais and Sintra.

Lisbon is a city for walking. Take good walking shoes with you.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM

as noted, a car is not needed for lisbon-ghood metro, tram. and bus to t ake you where you want to go. sintra is easily reachable via the zoo stop and adjacent set rios surburban railroad, 25 minutes, last stop. enroute, stop at queluz and visit the palace, by walking from the rr station or take the bus from there, 151 I think. cacscais and estoril could be low-level rerorts anywhere-go instead to evora for the day. 3 days in lisbon will allow you to ride the tram 28 to the castle and alfama and cathedral, sit with the poet's tatute at cafe brasilheira in baixa and a pastel denat custard tart, and go to fado in nearby bairro alto-don't forget to visit the gulbenkian museum for the marvelous collection, including lalique and the current cartier exhibit, and in sintra, don't miss the art deco exhibit at the modern art museum in downtown sintra,and in central sintra near th e national palace walk to quinta de reguleira mansion and ground,s a short walk from the tourist office.
Apr 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Schuler, where is your LISBON report ? We couldn't find it. And thanks kaneda for directing me to that wonderful site golisbon.com. It was truly excellent. By the way, is it possible to do Sintra, Cascais and Estoril all in one day ?
Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM

I was in Lisbon in Sept-brutally hot-97 degrees but the most beautiful sky. Sintra was fabulous-not the little town, touristy, but the climb to the 11th century moorish castle above it. Cascais vey crowded. We drove by one beach-not sure if it was Estoril-very pretty but high waves, lots of surfers.
Don't miss Cabo de Rochas, between Sintra and Cascais-the western-most point in Europe. It's high above the Atlantic, you look down to huge rocks jutting out of the ocean and whales cavorting-just breathtaking.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM

You will love Lisbon! We were pleasantly surprised by its charms on our first visit. And, fell in love with the city the second time around. I agree with other posters that public transportation (trams, trains) is the way to go.
Also, be sure to spend one night in a fado club in the Bairro Alto. Fado is Portuguese folk music, very haunting music full of love and loss. Every club is different and special. Some well regarded choices are: Cafe Luzo, Adega do Ribatejo, and Adega do Machado.
If you enjoy port (or wine in general), stop by Solar do Vinho do Porto where you can try a couple ports from the huge menu (200 some choices) while you relax on a comfy sofa in a quiet corner. Great place!
Have a wonderful trip!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM

I come here regularly with business people who want the same as you. No, you do not want to cover Sintra and Cascais/Estoril on the same day. Go to Sintra one day, and the "Linha" (the drive along the river from Lisbon to Cascais) on another day. If you take a personal car or taxi (ask for an english speaking driver at the hotel), you can stop anywhere along the way, such as the Belem tower, the Jeronimos monastery, etc. Cascais is at the end, with a delightful Mexican restaurant at the Marina. Get yourself a copy of the english version of "Lisbon" by Casa Editrice Bonechi, Italy. It is a 60-page book with fantastic photos and basic background info on the most famous locations. It will jazz you up. The distributor in Portugal is Editorial Sofoto, phone (21) 4871505 or (21) 4548386. Also, be sure to do the Alfama old quarter. It is steep, on the way to the top of the Graca hill. Take a taxi, and walk down. Mind your purse. By night, there is old fado music, but more at the Bairro Alto. Look up "fado, bairro alto" at the Fodorīs site. The Principe Real street has lots of antique stores, and a nice little park with huuuuge shady trees and a nice little restaurant patio with decent food, not too expensive. A cool respite, and definitely a taste of the local life.
For vegetarian dishes, besides quite a few indian restaurants, look up Tibetanos restaurant. Portuguese vegetable soups and "empadas" (pies) are quite delicious. At the main square downtown Lisbon, the Rossio square, look straight at the Theater building. To the right you will see a taxi stop. Walk alongside and follow the little street. It is packed with outdoor restaurants. "Schuler" is right, Lisbon is a town for walking. But the cobblestones can kill you unless you wear good walking shoes. Good luck and enjoy your stay.
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM

If the weather is nice when you're in Sintra, walk up to the castle instead of taking the bus.

Enjoy the bacalhau! Yum yum!
Mar 20th, 2008, 02:12 PM

You will love Lisbon, but I would recommend spending time in Sintra, and not try to pack everything in.

Here is another travel site you might find useful. It is:

http://www.seeportugal.org
Mar 21st, 2008, 05:19 AM

4 days definitely won't be enough time to see Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, and Estoril. I was there for 6 days over Christmas and barely was able to scratch the surface. Sintra is worth it, so do dedicate a day to that and the rest to Lisbon itself.

I'm thinking about planning a return trip there this Thanksgiving to see more....even with the crappy euro-to-dollar exchange rate of €1.00=$1.60 and getting worse. I wasn't able to make it to Parque de Naçoes, Cacilhas/Cristo Rei, Setubal, or any place outside of Lisbon other than Sintra. And I damn sure didn't get enough pasteis de nata (a.k.a. pasteis de Belém).
Mar 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM

Here's my account of Lisbon: http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/html/lisbon1.htm

[You need to copy and paste the url.]