Liquids/gels/aerosols. etc. ?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I last flew to Europe in Oct. '06. I recall I just tossed my hairspray, mousse, facial cleanser, etc. in my carry on and had no problems. (Except for the manicure scissors I forgot about.)
But I was just reading the current rules for carry ons and it states nothing can be over 3 oz.
My facial cleanser is in a 4.4 oz. tube. .. is that a problem or am I misinterpreting things?
When did the rules about liquids etc. go into effect?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM

They were definitely in effect 3 years ago....you may have just gotten lucky.

Your 4.4 oz tube will need to go in your checked luggage.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I was wondering about that. What about hairspray and mousse? I can't live without my hairspray and mousse. If they go in checked luggage and the luggage is lost I'm sunk -
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Well, that is one of the major risks of nowadays air travel you may have to face bravely.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM

If your luggage is lost (probably won't happen), you can certainly buy some type of hairspray and mousse to get you through your trip. I usually buy a liquid hairspray (even if it's not the brand I prefer) that I can transfer to a spray bottle that meets the 3 oz. size. You might be able to squeeze your facial cleanser into a small bottle or jar that meets the requirements as well. I've not found any small containers of mousse. I just put it in my checked bag.

I generally check a bag for my European trips. I can say that in over 20 years of travel to/from Europe my checked luggage has never been lost. I know that it could happen the next time that I travel, but I think my record is pretty good.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
yk

There are travel-sized hairsprays at drugstore that you can buy. Or, you can wait until you get to your destination and buy one there.

Any liquid and gel items larger than 3oz needs to be in checked luggage. If you try to bring them with you onboard, they will get confiscated.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I decant my products into smaller containers when I want to carry them on. Not sure what you would do about mousse though - actually ease of packing is one reason I stopped using mousse and now use gel.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Even though we always check our luggage, I use travel size products or put them into travel size bottles or jars. I don't want to have any more weight than necessary when I'm having to carry my suitcase up and down stairs, etc.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
LHS

And, if you carry on, all liquids in their 3 oz bottles must fit in one quart size baggie.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM

For our trip this fall we have decided not to bother with all those tiny bottles.
We are going to get our HABA items when we arrive.

Since We arent that high maintenance, it will be fun finding toothpaste, deodorant and lotion.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Sigh.... sigh..Secret Roll On is only 2.2oz so I guess that will pass muster. I have The Worst Hair In The World.. so I need very specific spray and mousse. I guess I'll just check them and pray. Or, perhaps.... I should just buy a wig! (Or do we have to remove those, too -
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Don't make the mistake of thinking there is less than 3oz left in a bigger bottle, it doesn't work, it will be confiscated. Completely maddening.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
3 oz. is 3 oz. guys & gals... that's the rule (for gels & liquids in a carry-on). No container larger than 3 oz. and only as much as can fit into one 1-qt. ziplock baggie.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM

If you must have only your brand of mousse you may be out of luck, but there are definitely travel sizes available. I use Aveda and they stock it in their salons. Otherwise most drug stores have some sort of brand in the travel section. And as others have said, decant your spray into a mini-bottle...
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
yk

I have the perfect solution: you can shave your head so you don't have to worry about mousse and hairspray!
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM

yk, im so glad DH doesnt see this..
he threatened to shave his head..
I even like ponytails on guys..
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM

I think you'll find that you can buy hairspray or mousse or any other thing tht you need in europe. Even some of the brands are the same.

Take a small size of what you need and just buy more there for a longer trip. Of put it in your checked luggage and risk it leaking. (A friend of mine put a bottle - god know why that versus tablets - of Pepto Bismol in her husband's bags on a trip to Latin American. It somehow leaked and he spent the whole trip wearing clothes with bright pink spots on them.)
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

yk.... after watching Stephen Colbert all week I'm not adverse to shaving my head!
(Tho I certainly wouldn't look as good.)
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:40 PM

I thought the rule was 100 ml which is 3.4 oz. Every fraction counts in beautifying.
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM

I managed to buy a travel size version i.e. less than 100ml of my hairspray before I left home, this went into my carry on so I was fine. If you have time, maybe ask your hairdresser/beauty supply shop if they have any sample sizes of your favourite products, that could work.

I took lots of samples sizes with me for moisturizer and night cream and that meant I could ditch the little sachets when I had finished and didn't need to bring home a half empty jar.

I took my own shampoo and ran out two days before leaving Paris - how annoying was that? Then I had to buy a bottle for just two days. I did bring it home cos I am too stingy to leave anything like a full bottle of something. But it would have been nice to have thrown the old bottle away on the last day!!

They are still VERY strict with the gels etc and the little baggies.

Schnauzer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -