Search

Lipizzaner's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lipizzaner's

Just wondering if anyone has visited the Spanische Reitschule recently and if it was worth it? Are there shows everyday? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:42 AM

We went to a "rehearsal with music" in May 2003 and were glad we went. We were disappointed that there were no leaps done, just riding around the ring, etc. I don't believe they have rehearsals every day, but the web site should give you that information: http://www.srs.at/

The arena is interesting, with beautiful crystal chandeliers above a dirt floor. Quite a contrast. I don't think we would go again, but I have no regrets that we attended while in Vienna.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Lexi: Like Giovanna, we too went to the rehearsal with music.

It started out slowly but the music, building and horses were awesome. Then, in the second half of the program, they did do some leaps and it was just incredible.

The rehearsal was pretty casual - you can move around the ring and come and go as you please. It was well worth it as was a visit to the adjoining museum and bookstore/gift shop.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I went years ago, when the Spanische Reitschule was closed for stud season, so we went to the stud farm at Piber. (I was a horse-crazy teenager at the time). If you have any interest in the horses and the Spanische Reitschule is closed, I highly recommend visiting Piber. We stayed in nearby Graz and had a terrific time.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM

My family and I went to a performance about a year ago. We had seats on the main level,which is slightly above the horse's ground level, and were lucky enough to have been able to buy tickets for the "Royal Box" so we had a straight-on view.
At the highest levels you are well above the horses and, depending on your position, you may or may not see all of the intricate moves.

I'm glad to have seen it, not sure,given the price, I would go again
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:13 PM

We go every time we're in Vienna - but we're both horse lovers.

The last time we took friends with us and they were bored - "what's the big deal - my dog can do tricks too". So - if someone doesn;t have some interest in or understanding of horses (what they do is not the equivalent of rolling over or playing dead) it may be a waste.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Hello Lexi:

A year ago we went to the performance on Sunday morning and had seats at arena level at the end, first row. While not being a horse lover, I can say that, for me, it was the most impressive show involving man and beast imaginable. The seats were pricy but isn't that true of anything worthwhile. I will return for sure on our next trip. Afterwards, try Cafe Dremel for brunch. Gradyghost
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM
MaureenB

Last June my daughter and I attended a 'morning exercise with music' and also toured the stables. I own a horse and have been horse-crazy all my life, so for me it was a lifelong dream to see those horses in that amazing arena.
We have seen them twice performing here in Colorado, but nothing is like seeing them in the winter riding school building with the plasterwork and chandeliers. No leaps at our morning session, but we had expected there wouldn't be, so not terribly disappointed. You have to be a horse person to enjoy the exercise with music, as it is rather slow. They work horses of all ages, so some are green and some are the veterans.
We loved every minute of the 3 or so hours. If you go, get in line early enough to get a seat on the lowest level, as the higher level gives a bad view. Check their website for actual performances. I think they are on Sundays, and only certain months. They leave the city during the summer I believe. Tour of stables was interesting to see them up close. Again, you have to be horse people to enjoy it. I was surprised at the simple nature of the stable, as I expected chandeliers there, too! So glad we saw them.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Just an update: Slovenia is staking or taking back (depending on one's view) its claim to the Lipzzaners by picturing them on its 20 eurocent coin (it joins the euro zone on Jan. 1 2007). Interesting history of the horses and their hometown below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5077878.stm
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
MaureenB

Thanks for posting, BTilke. That's very interesting.

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM

That is interesting. I was unaware of this history. I do recall when we saw the beautiful Andalusian horses perform in Jerez de la Frontera, they laid claim to the start of the Lippizaners. Anyone know anything further about this?