Linderhof Palace

Search

Linderhof Palace

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Linderhof Palace

I am trying to figure out a tight itinerary and wonder whether Linderhof Palace is something we shouldnt miss. We are seeing Neuschanstein (my third time-my partners first) and I would like to see a different castle. Is this one more spectacular than Hohenschwangau?
Thanks ,
Suzanne
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:14 AM

We found Linderhof Palace very interesting and beautiful, much more personal than Neuschwanstein. The grounds are very nice, and the artificial underground lake where Ludwig II would float messed around in a boat while listening to Wagner is fascinating. The Moorish pavilion, with its peacock throne, is a don't-miss stop.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
ira

Hi Suz,

Linderhoff was our favorite among all of the Ludwig castles.

Definitely visit the grotto.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM

They are both amazing, but quite different. I enjoyed the tour at Linderhof more than the one at Nueschwanstein. It was a smaller group and, as I recall, the English tours were more frequent. Linderhof has an easier approach from its parking lot. As mentioned above, be sure to visit the grotto, the Moorish Pavillion, and other sights on the grounds.

However, at the foot of the hill where one walks up to Nuesch. is Hohenschwangau which was the boyhood home of Mad Ludwig who built the other two. I found that to be a homier feel. Many of the rooms feel as if the owners have just left for a minute and might be back any time soon.

If you are in the area, don't forget Herrenchiemsee which is built on an island in a lake. It was the first of his palaces which I visited and the mirrors and grandeur were overwhelming. (That was on my first trip to Europe and perhaps that colors my memory.)
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Suzanne,

Herrenchiemsee is my favorite of all Ludwig's castles/palaces. Linderhof is very a close second.

With that out of the way and to answer your question... is Linderhof more spectacular than Hohenschwangau? Absolutely! While I enjoyed the tour of Hohenschwangau, as it was lived in and the tour gave a lot of background on "Mad" King Ludwig and his family, it is not one of Ludwig's fantasy creations and as such is not "over the top" inside. I'd go with Linderhof. It's quite amazing.

Paul
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM

Not that you need it, but here's another vote to definitely visit Linderhof. All of Ludwig's castles are very different and Linderhof is quite unique. The grounds are spectacular and the inside is indeed quite amazing.