Herrenchiemsee-yes or no?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Munich to Berchtesgaden and are considering a stop at this castle. I keep reading conflicting reports as to it's worth. We have 3 kids and don't want to overdue the castle stuff.
(We are staying in a french chateau later in the vacation.)
All thoughts will be appreciated!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:04 AM

We got caught up in the Ludwig Castle madness last year and ended up going to Herrenchiemsee (originally unplanned). We really enjoyed it. First of all the setting is neat and you take a boat trip out to it. We enjoyed the walk to the castle. The castle itself is very interesting because it is so unfinished (a fact which other people might be bothered by). I was fascinated by the comparison of the two huge stairways --one finished and one not so you see something of what these things look like underneath all the marble and painting.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM

I'll second Patrick's endorsement. You can also take a carriage ride to the castle/chateau. This one is modelled on Versailles and has a hall of mirrors. I think seeing all of Ludwig's castles is worthwhile.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM

I'm another "yes" for Herrenchiemsee. Like Patrick I thought the unfinished parts were an unusual and fascinating comparison.

I liked the boat ride out to the island too. You usually don't have that on the way to a castle. I had lunch at a little smoked fish place on the women's island nearby. It was very pretty to stroll around too.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Singletail

Herrenchiemsee is a VERY populare spot for German tourists and with good reason. You do not say how you are traveling but assuming by rail..you take the train to Prien where you either change to the little narrow gauge that runs to the ferry dock or you can walk it....if driving, there are car parks at the ferry docks which are located in Stock (the village by the lake). You take a short boat ride over to the island itself and then either walk to the palace or you can take a horse-drawn carriage.
Outside fountains are very impressive and the inside is probably the most richly decorated, (The Residenze in Munich notwithstanding) ...and this one is the palace that most mimicks Versailles...it was only visited by Ludwig once as I recall.
Guided tours are available in English...worth the wait and the money IMO.
It is not as fairy-tale looking as Neuschwanstein ..it is very much a "palace" and not a gothic "castle"
but I think it is well worth a visit.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Peep

I like it, too! And it's nice going out on the boat to get there. If you have time, stop at Fraueninsel as well and poke around there for an hour.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:57 AM

If you have seen Versailles, you may find herrenchiemsee something of a weak imitation. Old Ludwig just about bankrupted the kingdom with his largess.

I am not surprised that he tried to drink the lake, as one friend of mine put it.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Chatters

There are two castles in Bavaria I would recommend more than Neuschwanstein; Linderhof and Herrenchiemsee. The latest is fun for kids because of the island setting. Linderhof is a summer palace; beautiful grounds in a sort of theatrical setting. Loved them both. I happen to think Neuschwanstein is overated; be cautious with 3 kids as some ground areas, specially around Mary's Bridge, are a bit scary.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Oh, but Neuschwanstein's setting! And with Hohenschwangau as a backdrop. I enjoy all of them.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:45 PM

RufusTFirefly has it just right. That's why Disney copied this one and not the others. They are all good. I'm taking my 10 year old in June. Anyone have any feedback about sentiments in Germany, Austria and Switzerland regarding Americans?
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:06 AM

If you have some flexibility, I'd play it by ear and decide once you're in Bavaria. Will you also be visiting NeuSchwanstein? If you have to choose between Chiemsee and NeuSchwanstein, then I'd go with the latter. But I will say that if your kids like any of his castles (who wouldn't?!), then they're gonna love all of them, because each is special in a different way. Our first summer we lived in Munich, we visited all 4 of the Ludwig castles, and they are all special in their unique way.

Like Patrick, I think being able to see a symmetrical room--one side finished and the other side unfinished (this comes at the end of the tour) is really great. You can see that underneath all of that gold and glitter, the castles are just like the homes of you and me ;-)

One final point is that in summertime, there are classical music concerts actually performed in the state room of the castle. One of the long side walls is made of numerous glass doors that can are opened during the concerts and you get hear wonderful music with the sun setting before your eyes over the gardens. for more info (German only):
http://www.festspiele-herrenchiemsee.de/spielplan.cfm
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your insights......we will have a car, so I think we may decide as we go. We will be visiting Versaille later in the trip and staying in a chateau also.....I don't want to overdue the castles with my kids. (Two are teenage girls and they're concerned about having down time to "Lay-out" in the sun!)