Search

Lightest weight 24" or 25" rolling suitcase

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM
JN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightest weight 24" or 25" rolling suitcase

How many pounds would a "light weight" 24" or 25" suitcase weigh? I've seen them for about 12 lbs. Is that good?

If you know the brand name &/or model name/number for a lighter weight suitcase for around $100-$125, we will add you to our holiday card list! :=) Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:10 PM

Eagle Creek's is under 10 lbs. The only thing is that they are very youthful in style and look like a backpack. We bought one at randmcnally.com, and have also dealt with irvs.com for discount luggage.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:24 PM

Hi, JN!

Would love to be added to your holiday card list, but...

Here's my angle: 12 lb is a fair weight for a sturdy 24". You could get them lighter but not as sturdily built.

We go through at least one rollalong every two to three years, so we are not very particular about the brand name any more.

We go more for the WHEELS. Nice big wheels make for easier rolling. Smaller wheels and the case easily tilts over, the wheels give off that annoying squeak, squeak, squeak, or - in one case - fall off!

Another thing to look for are good ZIPPERS.

Then, we look at the arrangement of the pockets, number of pockets, etc.

One year, we were going on an Alaska cruise. By the time our piece arrived in Seattle, it was ready for the garbage bin. So, we drove around Seattle airport and, not being familar with that area, the only place we found that carried luggage was a Target store. We picked up a 26" suitcase at Target's for about $100 and have been extremely happy with it. Sturdy build, good wheels, great zippers, lots of pockets. We really didn't expect to keep the piece beyond that first trip, but this has been one of our most relied on pieces of luggage since then.

We've also replaced our bags in Bangkok, Shanghai, Singapore, and Vancouver. Pretty much generic luggage.

So, shop around. Look for the things you would want in a piece of luggage, like weight, not the name. Unless, of course, it's important to you to sport an expensive name on your luggage. Nothing wrong with that! To each his own!

Have fun shopping!
Jason
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:32 PM

Bear in mind two facts about weight.
1. Many intra European airlines restrict you to 20 kg, or 44 pounds per checked item.
Every pound of frame and wheels is one less pound of clothes and other belongings.

2. If you are riding trains, you will have to hoist that weight up the train steps. And if you go by subway or bus, that is just that much more to haul about. Paris would be particularly difficult on the Metro with a 50 pound load unless you and Gov. Arnie have similar muscle mass.

The handles and wheels are fine until they become dead weight.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:39 PM

I bought my 26" FlightPro at Bloomingdales. It was originally priced just over $400 and after a double discount sale and a $25 off coupon, it cost $145. Of all the sturdy, well-built bags on wheels, I was told by an experienced luggage salesman that the FlightPro brand is among the lightest. This is the brand that many flight attendants use. My 26" bag weighed in at 14 pounds.

carnie
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
JN
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies.

I've just found a Skyway brand (in business since 1910, so I'm thinking they must have something going for them), 26" high x 17"w x 10" deep that weighs 9.8 pounds, but is said to be durable. It has inline skate wheels and a "self-repairing" nylon zipper, whatever that may mean. All for a closeout price of around $75. Anyone ever heard of that company?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:59 PM

Skyway luggage has been around for many years. I received Skyway luggage as a graduation gift in 1955. It lasted for 20 years or more. I would think it is still a dependable brand.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a Skyway 22 inch rolling suitcase that I've used on several multi-week trips over six years. It's very light when empty but can be quite heavy when full. A packed case with greater capacity (24-26 inch) would be a monster to lift and to drag (especially over cobblestones, curbs, up hills, etc.). I'd suggest you seriously consider the 22 inch if suitcase weight is a concern.

On my last two-week trip, I packed four pairs of pants, three wool sweaters, one cotton sweater, six T-shirts, several scarves, socks, underwear, nightwear, maps, guidebook and hotel confirmations. The case came with a garment bag/suiter which I never use. In a small bag, I carried a second pair of shoes, umbrella, camera/film, toiletries, etc. There was lots of room in both cases for souvenirs and clothing if I'd needed more.

But back to Skyway... It's been a great suitcase with one minor design flaw. Two plastic "rails" are screwed to the bottom (when laying flat like you're packing it) so that the bag can move along conveyor belts or be pulled off luggage racks without the fabric making contact and becoming worn. Well, after three or four trips, both rails were becoming detached. Luckily, my handy husband was able to reattach them. I held my breath on this last trip, especially since we checked our bags on the return flight, but the rails held. I would examine any suitcase you're considering for design elements like this that could be a problem.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:57 PM

Maybe that suitcase is fine, but I also tend to think the lighter weight, the less durable. I also have one I got at Target which is really great and durable and high quality, it cost about $75-100, as I recall, and is 25". I don't remeber the brand name, but it was not their cheapest line, the brand name on the front is Modo. I just weighed it and it's about 15 pounds empty. I really would not get a suitcase that size weighing less than 12 lbs and expect anything out of it, but I haven't seen that suitcase so it may seem more durable in person than it sounds.

My 25" suitcase has no problem meeting the weight restrictions even with pretty full, including books and shoes. On my last trip, it weighed in at only 35 pounds on checkin and I had about four books in it and about four pair of shoes.

It does depend how strong you are, I suppose, I don't have much problem handling mine, but I don't do things requiring me to drag it around a lot, up hills or over cobblestones. I just take a taxi from the airport to hotel and check in/do same in reverse on leaving. I would not recommend this size for someone who was moving every day or two, taking a lot of trains, and would not take taxis.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:26 PM
JonJon

This is interesting..I just weighed my Samsonite hardsided suitcase and it only weighs 7# and it is the largest one they make...I agree with those who talk about the "durability" issue. In terms of hefting and lifting the suitcase, that obviously depends on who is doing the lifting in terms of how "hard" it is to do.
I still think the other "answer" is to travel as light as possible regardless of the weight of the suitcase.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going on six years with a 30 dollar black 24 inch with wheels I bought at the Christmas store. The one and only time I was in that store where I stopped while traveling with friends for Christmas decorations. I expected it to last one trip. It still looks new.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:04 AM

Consider a 22" suitcase that expands to 24"--what most flight attendants use. I have an Atlantic bought at Tuesday Morning for $50 that is still more than acceptable. Who would want a 26" suitcase in this day and time. Just too much stuff to schlep around for us any more--we used to, believe me. Do you REALLY use EVERYthing you pack in it?
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:19 AM

"Who would want a 26" suitcase in this day and time."

I love my 26" case because I always buy fragile things when I'm in Europe and this is the best size bag for protection. No, it's not filled going but it definitely is filled upon return. I also travel with bubble wrap, via Martha Stewart. You'd be surprised some of the lovely pieces of art I've brought home in that bag, all in perfect condition. I have found the bigger the bag, the safer for fragile items. Of course, if I'm not planning on shopping, I'll take a smaller bag.

carnie
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:55 AM

What do you know...I'm opening my mail from the weekend and there's a Bloomies insert advertising a 2-day sale this Friday and Saturday, 11/7 & 8. Turns out my 26" bag is actually 29" and the TravelPro-FlightPro II version is on sale for $150, 26" for $140, and 22" for $120. The handle and wheel mechanisms are very strong and Bloomindales guarantees repairs for the life of the bag. This is quite a deal. 1-800-555-SHOP

carnie

ps I don't work for Bloomingdales.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:26 AM

I've been shopping hard for luggage at off-price stores such as Marshall's, Ross, Tuesday Morning, etc. I'm not shlepping my 27" monster around Europe again! Forget the department stores--Macy's prices were ridiculous, even on sale. I watched eBay for a couple of weeks and finally bid on a Samsonite set there. I was high bidder, at about $50 for a new 22" Samsonite black expandable bag with matching tote. Shipping is only $9.99. The best price I could find in the stores was about $50 for mediocre quality. American Tourister/Samsonite sell their overstocks on EBay. Do a search there for <luggage set>. Bags haven't arrived yet, but I'll report in when they do.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:22 AM
JN
Original Poster

Thanks, folks, for all the good advice.
The issue for us is that we have a number of things that we must transport due to medical needs, so a bigger suitcase, while not what we would prefer, becomes necessary. We might, though, be able to get by with one 22" and one 26".