Reload this Page >

Lesser Known Paris Delights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 05:53 AM
daniel lee

OK you Paris experts: <BR> <BR>Please tell me the lesser known delights of Paris. I want to know the inner soul of the city, not just the Eiffel Tower and Notre-Dame. <BR> <BR>I have heard some good things about the Marais district, but I would like to know what else has character of its own. <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR> <BR>Daniel <BR> <BR>PS I'm leaving in 3 days and I cannot wait. My first time to Europe!

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 06:34 AM
John

Daniel, I have no idea what you will find in Paris that you will consider a delight. Paris means different things to different people. What has or does delight me is the Musee D'Orsay, Les Invalides where Napoleon is buried and the military musuem, Musee Rodin, Musee Marmottan, Park Monceau, the Tuileries, Jardins du Luxembourg, the Crypte Archeologigue across from the front of Notre Dame, Harry's Bar on 5, Rue Danou near Place Vendome. I also like Rue Passy in the 16th and Ave des Ternes in the 17th to get a feel of everyday Paris life without the throngs of tourists. I never tire of going to Place du Terte where the artists are behind the Sacre Coeur church. It is very touristy, but I enjoy the envrionment there. There is also the flower vendors and the open air food markets a couple of mornings each week. My all time favorite is just sitting outside at a Cafe and having a drink and just absorbing the feeling in the air and watching people go by. And I like to have dinner sitting outside during the evening.

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 09:30 AM
daniel

hey john, <BR> <BR>thanks for the advice. <BR> <BR>basically, i'd like the happening neighborhoods with a lot of character. (or quiet ones with a lot of style) <BR> <BR>i love getting off the beaten path and finding hidden treasures, such as street performers, mom-and-pop shops, little restaurants, bookstores, etc. basically anything--even a red-light district full of transvestites. we are young and restless! <BR> <BR>i guess we'll just have to walk around the whole damn city and just explore the hell out of it! <BR> <BR>daniel

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 11:26 AM
catherine

Daniel, The whole of Paris will be exactly your sort of place.You will never want to come home.It will hit you in the jaw with delight.It is the best place on the planet.Despite the metro you will end up walking,walking and more walking.Make sure you notice the architecture on the small stuff like doorways,rooftops ect.Have a great time.Get on the forum when you get back to say what you thought about it. <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 12:03 PM
daniel lee

catherine, <BR> <BR>hell yeah i will be right back here after i get home from paris. <BR> <BR>i expect to go to paris and explore every last inch of its cultural onslaught and visual delicacies, and totally immerse myself in the rich maelstrom of culinary and artistic treasure. <BR> <BR>bah--i'm just gonna have some friggin' fun!!! <BR> <BR>Daniel <BR> <BR>PS Thank you ALL for your input...it's good that people have such passion about seeing and experiencing the world, learning a little more about themselves in the process...

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 12:29 PM
John

Daniel, I didn't know you were young and restless. I remember that! Just don't be careless. Well, you can go around the streets (12) branching off the etoile at the Arch de Triomphe. Ave Foche is different on Saturday nights. The Bois de Boulogne had what I called the "show" during the nights unless they have chased everyone out of there. Hundreds of transvestites. Pretty incredible site. I guess the french like them because there would be some traffic jams in the park.

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 04:48 AM
daniel

hey john, <BR> <BR>is it true that a lot of these transvestites are actually brazilians? that would be hilarious, because i've been to brazil and i have seen the transvestites ("travestis") over there. plus i speak portuguese so that would be a nice surprise to speak portuguese in france. <BR> <BR>but it isn't a dangerous place is it? i'll be walking around with my fiancee. <BR> <BR>any more news on these "gems"? <BR> <BR>daniel

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 05:34 AM
John

Daniel, yes, I believe they do come from Brazil. They are something to see. No, it is not dangerous. No one will bother you. However, I don't know about walking to the Bois de Boulogne. It's quite a walk and the park is quite large. Really more suitable to driving. The park is on the edge of Paris ... the western end, next to the 16th arrondissment. Also, I haven't been there in a few years and really don't know if they are still there. They have a habit of coming and going. They also may not be there until the weather warms up. They may be down south in warmer climates. I've also seen them in Milan. <BR> <BR>For something tamer, there is a club (club 44 or 99 or something like that) right on the Champs Elysees for dancing and drinking. They charge $20 pp to get in and that get's you one drink. Beers are $10. It was very popular with the locals and the dancing is non-stop. One pecularity, at least to me, was that you really don't need a partner. If you feel like dancing, you dance. The dance floor is very crowded and no one knows or cares if you are dancing alone or with someone. <BR> <BR>There are also Arab nightclubs which are different and fun, but expensive. They usually don't start until midnight and go until 6:00AM. Beers are $20. Mixed drinks are $40. It's cheaper to buy a bottle ... they all drink black label scotch and coke (go figure) and the bottle and set-ups cost $350. This includes a rather lavish large platter of fresh fruit. The music, singing and dancing is different and interesting. You will see groups of single men and groups of single ladies who get together for the evening. The Arab men pay for everything and the women sing and dance for them. The Arab men have no respect for money. They routinely take out large wads of large bills and sprinkle them over the head of a friend who is dancing. Several woman did belly dances for me ... at my table and on my table. Of course you have to tip the professional dancers who are part of the act. The other woman, I guess, are dancing for your attention. The woman I was with only tolerated this so much before she chased them away. It does give your male ego a boost and the evening was a lot of fun. I've gone to these clubs a few times, but it is expensive.

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 10:33 AM
LJ

Walk Rue Cler (not far from Eiffel Tower). It's one of the last pedestrian streets in Paris with an open market: Cheese stand, fruits/veg, butcher, creperie. It's really neat.