Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving lugguge in the car while touring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We?re traveling to Viana do Castelo and would like to see Porto on the way. Are we taking a risk if we leave our luggage in the car while we tour around?
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:06 AM

The answer is an emphatic YES!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Maybe I've always been lucky, but I wonder how often empty trunks are broken into? I suspect rarely. The usual thing is that a thief sees a person lock stuff in the trunk and/or sees them open it and knows it is full when they park it and then walk away. If you park your car with a full locked trunk and don't give a thief any reason to think there is something in the trunk, the possibility of it being broken into is extremely minimal.

By the way, the old fashioned idea of leaving a local newspaper on the dash or the seat and nothing (especially maps) visable that would indicate you are a tourist who MIGHT have things in the trunk is also a good idea.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:50 AM

easygoer,
We run into this predicament all the time in Spain/Portugal as we stop to tour when driving from hotel to hotel.
Luckily, we've never had our trunk broken into, but we use the following ploys:
We either park in an underground, monitored garage, park in a lot near the tour busses (whose drivers tend to stick around the bus area at least for a while during their wait), or park in a hotel parking lot/garage if allowed, where bellhops are constantly coming in and out. For example, in a town with a Parador/Pousada we always park in their lot, have a coffee in their bar, and then start our touring and may even finish with lunch there.
Like Patrick, we always buy a local paper and/or magazine that we leave casually in full view in the back seat, or above the seat, we put our road maps away in the glove compartment, I hide the atlas in my giant handbag, and when we must park on the street or in an outdoor parking area without an attendant, we never open the trunk as we leave our car to put things in or take things out, like expensive camera equipment. Just as Patrick has told you. Not opening the trunk in front of others as you leave your car is a very important move, I think.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:50 AM

OK, I'm the thief .
I don't want your luggage unless it is high-end with a good stolen resale value.
Nor do I want your clothes, toiletries, guidebooks, used films, etc.
I want cash, cameras, electronics, CC's, etc and that gold necklace you bought for Auntie Em .
My tools will be a "Slimjim" to open the door and pop the trunk latch or I'll just smash the window. Or I will have a hammer and large screwdriver and bash the trunklock in and open it.
As soon as I do 1 of those things the *clock is ticking* and I am a criminal.
I grap your luggage and quickly make my escape.
Later I throw away your stuff and only keep the valuables.
*OR* you buy ~2m of very small linked chain with a small but decent lock, this will fit in the palm of your hand and is very light.
So when I pop your trunk your luggage is locked thru the handles and thru something in the trunk, like the trunk's hinge. A bicycle cable lock is ~1m and not long enough usually for more than 1 suitcase.
I can't grap it and run so I rummage thru it quickly (leave the luggage unlocked and open, it's what I've done) looking and taking any valuables but leaving your stuff behind.
I probably don't have boltcutters and if I do they are in my trunk but the "clock is ticking" and I've got to run .
Regards, Walter

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:30 AM

ParadiseLost, you have a slimjim, a hammer and a large screwdriver but you don't have boltcutters? What kind of thief are you?
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 11:54 PM

Forget about passing as a non-tourist. My recollection is that Italian license plates are identifiable by regions, and once you leave the region, you are a tourist, particularly if you are in what is considred a tourist area. French license plates are identified by the number of the department. The Dordogne is 24. If your car has plates with a 75 (Paris), you are a tourist in the Dordogne. And if you lease a car in France, your plates are red. No local newspaper can change that.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:36 AM

I wonder how often economy cars are broken into as oppossed to more expensive cars. As noted above, a rental car is quite obvious to anyone so the newspaper trick is pretty useless. But as also mentioned above, thieves want valuables and I would guess most wouldn't bother with economy cars assuming whatever might be in that trunk wouldn't be all that valuable. If I were a thief and I had a choice between a BMW and a Nissan Micra I know which one I'd pick.

I've left my rental cars, with trunk full of luggagae (but nothing showing in car itself), all over Europe and never been broken into. Neither have any of my friends. But we all rent economy cars. We also follow Maribel's ideas as to types of places to park the car.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 03:36 AM

I have no idea of the frequency, I only know it happens. For example, the parking lot of the Pont du Gard in France is notorious for break-ins. But then thieves know a lot of tourists visit this site.

The parking near a hotel sounds like a good idea, but my experience has been that one rarely has an abundance of parking choices in Europe - you park where you can, not necessarily where you'd like. That said, I think Patrick's idea of being casual about your plans is a good idea. And, don't leave anything in the car that would be hard to replace (eg. prescription meds, etc.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I met some people who had parked their rental car near Fatima and when they returned from a visit to the Shrine it had been broken into and some things of value stolen. That was in broad daylight!

Don't try to save a few Euros by leaving your car unattended!

It's always best to park in a monitored parking area if only it is monitored by a person whom you pay and who gives you a parking receipt. If you do that, your risk will be minimal.

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 07:27 AM

It can happen anyhow and anywhere, often when you least expect it.

Our car was entered, with nothing of value in it, at a remote trailhead in the Lake District. To a thief (probably an amateur), this was an opportunity that presented itself.

On the other hand, people who stayed at our B&B were delirious because their laptop was taken from the parking lot - with attendants - at Chenonceaux. (She was a lawyer with all her files on it - why did she have to take it with her?) That thief was quite an expert.

This is one main reason why we prefer to find a "home base" and do day-trips from there. Obviously, all our luggage is safely left there and we can then tour with no concern for a loss.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:23 AM
adoptionisfab

A friend who travels frequently left some things in her car in Milan Italy. When she got back to the car everything was gone including jewelry (dumb idea to bring it or leave it IMHO) and her tickets. She had to buy a new ticket Alitalia finally reimbursed some of the cost of the new ticket.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:05 PM

I wonder why people bring expensive jewelry on holiday?????? Who are we trying to impress here?

I leave the real valuables at home. At most I have my video camera -- which is usually on my person at all times (have a shoulder bag that looks like a purse.

A note of caution for those that leave their valuables 'safe' at home base... many hotel stays have been ruined by thieves in the hotel staff or the valet. Nowhere is 'safe', just 'safer'
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:39 PM

While there is a risk, there are risks in everything in life. I am not about to skip a site due to worrying about my luggage. (that is what insurance is for)
I do take basic precautions. I won't rent or accept a hatchback or wagon. (You need a trunk.) NOTHING is left in the car itself. I do inspect the cars for "Hertz" stickers.
I left my luggage overnight at Mont St. Michel. the car was WAY out there all by it's lonesome and I was sure that it would be attacked. I guess a Volkswagon Golf just didn't look good enough.

If they get my luggage they have a clothes, nothing else and if it is late in the vacation they have dirty clothes! Now that most airlines have E tickets I don't usually have a ticket and my other valuables are either in a money belt or at least with me.

In Spain I broke one of the headlights day one by accident (it still lit, but the cover was broken) The car was never bothered. Maybe having a damaged car turns off thiefs?

(By the way these same rules should apply at home. My neighbor and my boss have had laptops taken from their back seat when the cars were parked in thier driveways.)
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM

I do it all the time, yep there's a risk but crap its sure easier and you certainly don't leave anything in the trunk of any value. Mindset...if it gets stolen 'oh well' crap happens.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:12 AM
ira

Re identifying rental cars:

Many places have special tags for rental cars that make them easily identified by thieves.

On a recent visit to Tucson, I noted than my cars license plate was identified as both "Fleet" and "Rental".