COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Secure luggage in car in Siena?

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Secure luggage in car in Siena?

WE are working on our Italy trip and the best use of our time is to stop in Siena on our way from Firenze to Aquapendente, which is just west of Orvieto.

The problem is leaving our belongings in the car. Does anyone have a good idea for putting our bags in a safe place? Does the train station there have lockers? Is the station outside of town so it would be easy to get to? Secure parking anywhere?
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 02:47 PM
RJD

There are a few fairly safe paid parking lots around the Fortezza from which it's a short walk to the Campo. Parked there many times, with no trouble. But you need to get there fairly early to find a spot.
Do not open your trunk after you park. It's an invitation to a break-in.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM

charness,
There is luggage storage at the bus station, under piazza Gramsci.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:16 PM

I've never had a problem in parking garages. Remove all visible stuff from passenger area (duh) and back the car in to the parking place, all the way to the wall. IMO, the busier the garage, the better.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:04 PM

We have driven all over europe and never had a problem with luggage. But you need to follow several rules:

1) leave nothing visible in the car - not even a map or a box of tissues. Anything visible must leave the car with you.

2) Pack your luggage in the trunk at the hotel and do not go near the trunk again until you have arrived at the next hotel. (I have seem people move things from inside the car into a packed trunk at a stop on the motorway. NO - this is an invitation to theft.

3) Park the car near the entrance or guard. Put the trunk up against a wall or tree or tight against another car - so no one can get near it easily.

You can;t eliminate thieves - but you can strongly encourage the thieves to head for someone else's car.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on safer parking areas there. We certainly don't plan on revealing that there's luggage in the trunk, but would prefer to find a place we can have a little confidence in.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 08:40 PM

If there's a rental car sticker on the car, scrape it off. Back your car into a parking space in the most secure garage you can find and put everything in the trunk.

Leave something "local," like a newspaper, on the dashboard. In France I put a baguette there, but in Italy I would get more creative, like a half-eaten cornetto or something that implies I'm a local resident.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 07:01 AM

And,what Charnee did not mention, there will be 4 of us, and I donot think there is a trunk big enough.............
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM

A bigger question is finding the parking lots in Siena..... a very confusing place to park.

But here is a sure fire location. Take Siena Sud exit. When you get to the elongated roundabout follow the sign to Campo parking. It's a great easy location to find and park.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Well, now our plans have changed and we will be staying in the area for three days, so we will not need this after all.

Thanks, anyway, for the advice.