Leaving for Paris soon:-)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited to be going to Paris next week. I am arriving Sept 1st and leaving the 5th. Never have been.
1- Should I buy the Museum Pass or was thinking of going to some of the museums Sunday when they are free (first sunday of the month)
2- any recommendations on either a walking tour and/or guide? was also thinking of just doing it myself. what are the benefits of the tour?
3- restaurant recommendations moderately priced. other restaurants that were recommended
Bath's, Georges, Alcazar, Ze Kitchen Galerie, Maison Blanche, Chai 33, Cafe De Flore- any thoughts
4- day trip to either Giverny or Versailles. any suggestions to what would be better and how to get there- bus or train?
5- should i go see a show? moulin rouge esque
any other advice would help
Thank you so much
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM

1-The pros and cons of the museum pass have been discussed at length here so try a search and see what you come up with. Perhaps someone will post a link to one of the threads for you.

2- Take a look at www.pariswalkingtours.com. Lots of folks like them. We took one of the Latin Quarter and the guide pointed out things I would have just walked by even if I'd had a walking tour book.

3- On my recent trip, I liked: l'Affriole, 17, rue Malar, 75007 Paris, telephone 01.44.18.31.33; Le Sud-Ouest Monceau, 8 rue Meissonier in the 17th, 01.47.63.15.07 where I had the best cassoulet I have ever eaten; both were reasonable. I'll have to look for more addresses. I've been to Alcazar and it was very nice but it was more than the two restaurants I have given you.

4- I think Versailles is easier to get to than Giverney. It is about 1/2 hour by train and then a short walk. Parts are covered by the museum pass. We took a tour as well and enjoyed it. With such few days in Paris though, you might like to just stay in Paris. I love the Mussee Jacquemart Andre (mansion open for viewing) and to eat in the Museum Cafe in the dining room of the mansion.

5- nah

Since this is your first trip, you might take a look at the Rick Steves Paris book. He gives very good directions to places such a Versailles and Giverney. No use for me to rewrite the book here. He also goes over the museum pass. Fodor's is excellent as well.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Here is a link to the Paris Superthread where you will be able to find lots of info:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Hi, s0221 (what's that mean, do you turn 21 on Sept 02?.. )

What did you book for your hotel..?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi 22,

You have only 3 1/2 days in Paris. I suggest that you save trips outside the city for your next visit.

Enjoy.

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Ira has it right. NO day trips with so little time.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I've not eaten at Maison Blanche, but I don't think it's "moderately priced" (compared to some of the others on your list). Dinner will be fairly expensive (my guess would be 70-80 euros and up), but lunch should be cheaper.

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM

1. Museum Pass? Do you want convenience, head of the line? If not, why pay for what is already free. Myself, I have never waited more than 1/2 hour to get into the museums on free Sundays, but I go first thing in the morning. Also you will find that other than the Marais and the major tourist attractions, alot of things will be closed on Sunday. I recommend you save the museums for Sunday sightseeing.
2. Go to the Eiffel tower around Dusk best time to visit(go to the top). After your visit to Eiffel walk across the bridge to Trocadero and get pictures of the Eiffel from there (best location). Either walk or metro from trocadero to the Arc(should be dark/street lights on by now. Walk from the Arc down the Champs to the Concorde area. Taking in the sights of the Alexander Bridge along the Seine, Grand Palace, Petite Palace. (Can also take a detour to Invalides from here) When you get to Concorde area you can divert down a couple of side streets and take in Madeline, Opera, and Place Vendome. Then come back out by the Tuilleries/Louvre. If you desire more walking (like me)stroll over across one of the bridges near the Louvre to the left bank and take in the sights of Notre Damn, Museum D'Orsay, Concierge. Stroll back towards the Eiffel Tower on the left bank and see Invalides (must see at night)but make sure you see the side of Invalides that is not facing the Seine. Two complete different facades on the front and back of this building. I recommend this walking tour(slow stroll takes about 3 hours) to many people and they love it. I think it is the best way to see the "City of Lights". On Saturday you may want to spend the afternoon/early evening in Montmatre and then see Sacre Coeur at night when it is illuminated. If you like fun lively but crowded this is the day to go. Otherwise go on a different day(the artist will still be in the square). And I can't remember but it is either Thursday night or Friday night when Galleries Lafayette is open late and the Grand Boulevards is just one big mass of people. Again if you like crowds/people watching, go, if not avoid this area on that day.
3. Restaurant that is moderately priced. Pascal's across from Invalides. I can't remember the exact address but it is directly across the street from Invalides. It is on the large boulevard street that runs parallel to Invalides towards the Seine (it is on the Eiffel tower side of Invalides). I took some friends there on my last visit and they wanted to go back the next night. Don't worry to much about restaurants. I plan my days on the sights and things I want to do and when I get hungry I look around for a mom/pop type restaurant in the area. I have stumbled across some great meals that way. If this fails, I look for a brasserie which are usually quite good.
4. I found Versailles a wasted trip, but to each there own. This may be because I have toured the Loire Valley and I prefer that region. I did find the Versaille gardens to be stunning and worth the trip. I have also been to Giverny. Given your limited amount of time I would stay in Paris. But if you had to choose, go to Versaille via the RER. Giverny was lovely but the bus had a very limited schedule for getting back to the train station.
5. Shows? You didn't say if you were a male or female. If you like to watch 1/2 naked women dancing then by all means go. Otherwise why not take in a club or the now increasingly popular wine bars.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:27 AM

We go to Paris annually.

I agree trips outside of Paris should be saved for a future trip. Giverney is particularly nice when all flowers are abloom in late spring and summer.

If you are of the mind, consider attending a classical music concert at Saint Chapelle on the Ile de la Cite. It is a beautiful place.

Walk through the Ile St. Louis, a very nice place, near Notre Dame, which do see.

With so little time I would concentrate on the Musee D'Orsay (if you like Impressionists, 5th Floor)or the Louvre for classical art.

One of the nicest parks is the Place des Vosges in the Marais district, 4th arrondissement. In the Marais you will find a Grennwich Village/ Soho type atmosphere--lot of little shops, etc. Great walking area. Nice restaurant in the area is Le Pamphlet. It is tres francais. Need reservation.

Let Paris come to you--it is a magnificent city.

Have a great trip!

Anthony
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only been to Paris once (so far). I don't think a museum pass will benefit you much with such a short stay anf if you take advance of the free Sunday. I just made up my own "tours" with a simple free street map of central Paris. Put on comfortable shoes and start walking! The benefit of a tour is obviously having a guide who will tell you stuff about what you are seeing. A compromise might be on of those city bus deals when you first get to Paris, to get an overview of the major sites.

I would definitely not do any day trips with such a short stay in the city. Do you want to see a show like that? If yes, then go for it.

My favorite Paris things are sitting in sidewalk cafes, drinking pitchers of wine and people watching. Second to that sitting in parks (Luxembourg Garden and the Tuileries highly recommended).
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:41 AM

You will love Paris! Have a wonderful time. My thoughts on your questions:

1. I wouldn't get a museum pass unless you plan on visiting lots of museums. I think it is pretty tiring to visit more than one major museum a day (Louvre or D'Orsay) so suggest you go to one on Sunday when it will be quite crowded and to the other on another day. Another site on the museum pass is Sainte Chapelle - plan to visit as it is very special.
2. One of the great delights of Paris is simply walking around. Unless there is a tour that especially appeals to you, plan your own walks.
3. Cafe Flore is a good place for people watching but not an especially good restaurant. Get a cafe or a kir and sit outside to watch the passing scene. We enjoyed Ze Kitchen Gallerie and I would recommend L'Epi Dupin, L'Affriole, Le Pamphlet and Florimond.
4. I agree that you should not plan a day trip your first time in Paris with only 4 days.
5. We went years ago to Moulin Rouge - there are so many more wonderful things to see and do that we haven't returned.