Search

Leaving for Paris on Thursday!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
ptm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving for Paris on Thursday!!!

Hi Everyone, We are very excited! We are leaving for Paris on Thursday, thanks to everyone here for all your help and advice. I have a couple of questions. What type of bag should I carry around Paris? Do I have to check my bag at every museum? Thanks again for all the help. Ptm
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM

If you have to check or not varies - by museum and be size of bag. Anything large (like a backpack) will have to be checked almost everywhere.

I use a small Sportsac for a day bag in europe. They're indestructable, have lots of pockets to keep things sorted, light weight and can expand to hold all you need for the day (camera, guidebook, umbrella, sweater) - plus all the regular purse stuff. And since the straps are thick and of very heavy fabric they're not easy for someone to pull off or cut off - worn either shoulder or bandolier style.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Nytraveler and I use the same Le Sportsac Everyday bag. It's also foldable so can go inside my carryon since only 1 bag and no personal items will be allowed from the EU to the US after sometime this month. I squished it nicely into my carry-on in London last month with no problems.

Best thing though is it is so lightweight!!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
tod

Have a wonderful trip! After the museum please take a stroll along the Promenade Plantee which runs on top of the Viaduc des Arts - it should look stunning this time of year.
My son also leaves on Thursday for China & Singapore and I'm feeling very much like Cindarella. At least I get to take him to the airport!
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Tod aka cinderella - where excatly is that Promenade? I'm off to AMS/Paris on 4/25.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM

My sportsac is red!! I never leave it behind because it is always visible.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Hi,
I'm so excited for you that you are going to Paris. I am in post leaving-Paris depression having spent a week there from 3/26 to 4/03. I don't know how long you will be in Paris, but in case someone else hasn't advised you about the Carte Orange, I wanted to make sure that I did. I think it works best if you are in Paris starting on either a Monday or Tuesday. The Carte Orange weekly period starts on Monday and goes until Sunday at midnight. During that time, you can use it for unlimited travel within Paris on all buses and metros. We loved having the freedom to hop on a bus for several stops or to take Metros all over the city. It costs 16 Euros, but you also must have a passport size photo of yourself. In Paris, there are many little do it yourself photo machines for 4 Euros, so take that into account if you plan to get a Carte Orange. If you can go to Paris with a photo taken at home, that's one less expense and time taken up with a photo. Anyway, the Carte Orange gives you incredible mobility and really does save your feet! Since a carnet (10 tickets) costs 10, 50 Euros, if you can get the maximum usage from your Carte Orange, you will be saving money and enjoying the wonderful Paris mass transportation system. I especially advise you to learn and use the Paris buses. It's a great way to see the city and sometimes can be more direct between your destinations than taking a metro. Say hi to Paris for me!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:36 AM
ptm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We are counting down the days until we leave. We are arriving in Paris on Thursday leaving Paris on Tuesday, so I am not sure the Carte Orange will work for us. Good to know for next time. I love the idea of taking buses, we want to see as much as possible. Great tips...thanks again.Ptm
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM
tod

job816 - The way I did it was to take the metro to Bastille, walk past Opera Bastille down Rue De Lyon which becomes Rue Daumesnil. Just where the two switch and the start of the viaduct(Viaduc des Arts) you will see steps leading upwards. They are a bit shabby but pay no mind and start walking down the old railway track (still visible).
You will walk through arches of vines and plants on either side.

I carried on until I passed through Jardin de Reuilly then took the steps/path back onto Daumesnil. Carried on up to Place Felix Eboue(?)
had a drink and caught the metro back as the stop was right outside the cafe.
(Must have been Metro stop Daumesnil).

It's a brilliant walk so don't hurry.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM

ptm:

Have a terrific time in Paris! Eat well! Drink well! Walk well! Museum well!

I’m heading there in 25 days. Can’t wait! Your post has made me excited and impatient. (Maybe I’ll leave tomorrow.)

If you happen to hit the Orangerie and return home before May 2 to post here, please let me know what your experience was, including the difficulty or ease of entry.

Bon voyage!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Have a great trip-look forward to hearing all about it! Still have over 2 months before our first visit to Paris, so I'm enjoying reading up on everyone's adventures there.

Have fun!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Hi,
This message is for ptm and wanderful as well especially since he/she asks about the Orangerie. We were at the Orangerie just one week ago, April 1, 2007. If you will be in Paris the first Sunday in May, all of the Musees de Paris museums (Louvre, Pompidou, D'Orsay, Orangerie, etc.) will be free to you because their policy is for the first Sunday of each month to be free admission. This is well known so expect some lines. We went to both the Orangerie and the Orsay that day. We joined a line to get in to the Orangerie at about 2:00 pm and waited 10 minutes at the most. Once in, it was crowded but not unbearably so. What excited me the most was the amazing collection of Impressionist art that is housed on the basement level there: Renoirs, Matisses, Picassos, Cezannes and several other artists. Because I encountered such a rich experience there, by the time we sweated out the much longer line at the Orsay, we had to rush through that museum and all its treasures before the aggressive guards there started to remind you that they were closing. Posted closing time is 6:00, but in reality they start to kick you out at 5:30. So, I guess that I would suggest that you either (a) go on a different day than the first Sunday of the month(b) just go to one of those museums per day or (c)get an earlier start! By the way, we also went to the Musee Marmottan- Claude Monet in the 16th arrondissement on a different day. It is pricey but the building and neighborhood are lovely and that museum also has other artists' paintings besides Monet that were lovely and unexpected.
Have a great time in Paris, everybody!
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Drus:

Thank you for the Sunday free-entry museum tip. I’ll be in Paris on May 6, that first Sunday, and will take advantage of that. And, yes, the Marmottan is a wonderful surprise. I plan to return to it. Monet’s water lilies there were rewarding in their own right and a great compensation while the Orangerie was being renovated.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Just returned last night from 8 days in Paris. The L'Orangerie was the most wonderful surprise. On this past Thursday, it did not open until 12:30 and we did not realize that when we happened to arrive at noon after visiting Rodin museum earlier in day. Had the Museum Pass, but hung out for the 1/2 hour and were the first ones allowed in exactly at 12:30. Those w/o pass had been waiting before we arrived and had to wait a bit more to allow Pass holders to enter first.
So we made our way quickly to the Water Lilies and had a few minutes alone with them, which was worth the 1/2 hour wait.

However, the main collection downstairs is AMAZING, so much art in such a lovely and small setting. This museum cannot be missed!

We left and went to the Orsay (having been there before on other trips), and though the building is magnificent, it is such a shlep to work your way through, that I would easily skip the Orsay in favor of the Orangerie if I had a limited amount of time to see art of the late 19th - early 20th century. Hope that makes sense.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
ptm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I am sad to say we had to cancel or I should say delay our trip. I have a terrible infection in my mouth....anyway I am on the mend and we delayed our trip until July and we have decided to take our two daughters. So, I am saving all the great advice and info. Thanks for the Bon voyage etc....Ptm