Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for honeymoon in italy in a week! Need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving on our honeymoon and need some help with confirming our itinerary. We are flying to Rome, staying at the Baglioni hotels for two nights each in Rome, Florence, Venice. Then to a castle in Tuscany (waiting to confirm the Castello Del Serra in Siena) for another two nights, with a final three nights in Soriano del Cimino at our timeshare. Back to rome to fly home.

Does this itinerary make sense in terms of geography? Is is too much touring the large cities upfront with the relaxation in Tuscany at end? Is the best way to get from city to city by train? should we rent a car near Venice and drive through Tuscany? what towns in Tuscany are worth a stop?

What should be the top 5 things we must see or do in Rome/Florence/Venice/Tuscany towns? I have a Vatican tour booked in Rome; otherwise, we are on our own. It is our first time in Italy and we want it to be very special without being overwhelmed. We love art & architecture but won't spend entire days in museums (ok-maybe one museum in each city). We love food and wine (my husband is a chef!), great views, great experiences, exploring new towns, churches, restaurants, maybe a cooking class, wine tasting, olive oil tasting. We want to really immerse ourselves in the culture. Any recommendations and advice are really welcomed and much appreciated!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been to Italy a couple of times and we have visited Rome, Florence, Venice etc. Here are links to my Italy trip reports and I hope that you can find some useful info there:
Rome: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm
Florence: http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm
Tuscany: http://gardkarlsen.com/tuscany_italy_travelogue.htm
Venice: http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm

I would recommend a car in the Tuscany region as it is great to have the freedom of driving around to all the small beautiful hilltowns

Be sure to not try to cover too much. After all this is a honeymoon and you are supposed to have some time to relax to.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Hello Beata.

Are you flying from the US to Italy? If so you will no doubt find when you arrive in Rome you will probably have some jetlag. Are you taking off for Rome right after you wedding? If so you will probably be a bit tired for a few days.

Regarding two night each in Rome, Florence and Venice that means that you will only have one day in each city without arriving or departing. So figure one full day to sightsee.

Travelling from city to city..you should figure a good half day more or less will be spent going from city to city as the time you check out of your hotel, get to the train station, take the train, arrive, get to your next hotel, check in etc..again a half a day is gone.

Train travel between Rome/Florence and Venice is good. To get to Siena you can take the train from Florence but most travellers prefer the bus as it brings them into town. Probably you will then need a taxi to get to Castello Del Serra? I have no idea where Soriano del Cimino is? Have you been there before? Do you know how to get from Siena to there? And from there back to Rome to fly home?

I sure wish you a beautiful honeymoon Beata but personally I think you are way over planning and you are not giving yourself any time in any place so to speak. But we all have different travel styles and different energy levels and different reactions regarding jetlag. I will be interested in what other Fodorite's have to offer.

But I do wish you a beautiful honeymoon and a lifetime of happiness and love!
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Hi we just returned from a week in Italy celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary, which covered 2 nights in Florence then took a 2hr train trip to Rome spent 2 nights there. We then took a ryanair flight from Rome to Venice. Spent 2 nights in Venice and finally a 4hr train trip from Venice to Pisa. Besides that we walked everywhere (and got lost a couple of times too!)
BUT
Just Lovely would do it any day ..... Tiring ???? well late at night we did feel our feet killing us but than again you sleep it off and forget all about it with all the views, food, art, culture etc. Oh and by the way 3 weeks before I had knee surgery so make the most of it and than rest after your holiday
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:36 AM

When we were in Rome 3 years ago, we stayed for 3 days, and regretted not staying 2 mor day - there was just so much to see and do.

I would consider leaving Venice for another time, and concentrate on just Rome and Tuscany-Florence (2 Days in Florence should be ample if you pre-book the various sites - see Ira's many threads for phone number to reserve 5 sites).

Enjoy, and please report on your stay at the castle (by the way, you can contact them by phone easily to confirm).
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:00 AM

I think you are doing WAY too much in a short time! I would do 2 of the 3 cities..Venice is, unfortunately the one that is furthest from the others and therefore makes the most sense to cut. Otherwise too much time is spent traveling. If it were me and it was my honeymooon, I would stay in one of the cities (Rome) for the better part of a week, and then do my Tuscan meandering (by rental car) with a couple of days in Florence at the end.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 03:01 AM

I must agree with nevertooold's comment about Venice, and/ or add my two cents on top

I currently live in Florence (on work for 3 months) and have done most of Tuscany + Venice, and Verona thus far. I don't know what kind of traveller you are but I personally prefer quieter, less tourist-over-run places and this was NOT Venice. From the second you walk off the train it is pushy, PUSHY tourists EVERYWHERE. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time in Venice, and it was incredibly beautiful, but if you would like to spend a little more of this honey-moon time relaxing, I would also add an extra day to Rome and Florence and cut Venice.

Alternatively, Siena is awesome-- this tiny little medieval town, but if you want to free up some time...you could really see all the main Siena sites and truly take in the city, in a one night-2 day stay. This would give you a travel jump on getting to one of the other cities, a night to get settled and then a bright and early start. Just a thought....

Now that said, the easiest way to Siena from Florence is DEFINITELY the bus. I have done it both ways and the bus is far more convenient and deposits you in the middle of the "city". Apart from that the buses are large tour-style buses, very nice, depart frequently and cost only 6.50 euros(per way, per person) from the Florence Bus Station (just across/ around the corner from SMN Train Station)

I do completely agree with your opt to spend the end of your vacation in Tuscany relaxing...no matter how you plan the beginning of the trip you are going to need that at the end!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies and advice! My husband & I have been pondering about this and we've decided that although rushed, we will do what we can in all the cities...We really don't want to miss Venice (in case we have kids and can't get back to Italy for awhile...). We are well-rested as our wedding was several months ago ( we planned the wedding in 6 weeks so no time to plan the honeymoon -- which is why we are going now...). We hope to sleep on the plane to minimize jetlag.

Current itinerary is as follows:
Flying from the U.S. through Milan to Rome. Two nights in Rome. Then taking train straight to Venice (does anyone know if there is high-speed train?). Venice for two nights, then train to Florence. Florence for two nights. Rent a car outside of Florence and drive to Siena to the Castello delle Serre for two nights, then drive 2 hours south (per Google directions) to Soriano del Cimino ( in Viterbo region ) for three nights for some final relaxation. Soriano is hour from Rome, so we hope to drive ourselves to the airport and drop off the rental there...(hope we can do that).

Gard - thanks for sharing your trip reports - love all the details and I'll be sure to print out the PDF version and take with us!

Madar- sounds like you did a similar trip and it is do-able..

My biggest concern is that I realistically don't have enough time for Rome's sights. So how to maximize? Our hotel is close to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps and the Borghese gardens, so thought we could do that on the day we arrive since we only have 1/2 day. Next day, we have a Vatican tour tentatively booked with Presto tours (anyone familiar?). What else should we cover that day? Should I consider a private tour with driver ? just not sure how expensive that is...have an email out to someone that was recommended to me. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone recommend a romantic, quaint, yet inexpensive restaurant where we can dinner on the two nights we are there? We hate the tourist traps, prefer the mom&pop smaller places that are hidden gems, and don't want to spend $200USD on dinner. We are foodies so will appreciate the authentic cuisine ...

What about in Florence, Venice or Siena?

Question on trains- is it best to pre-purchase our train passes before we leave? which is a reputable company or website?

thanks again - I am so excited! Everything is coming together...
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Congrats!
I believe you are trying to travel too to many destinations. Enjoy your time, relax and take it all in. Rome is a wonderful city a week isn't enough time! I would do Rome and Florence with more time in Rome. Rent a car and drive to Florence via Tuscany. Tuscany is very beautiful and driving is easy. Driving in Rome a little more diificult. I recommend renting car at FCO Rome airport. Once again don't panic regarding driving in Italy. November is off-season. if you are from a relatively bigger city driving is not bad. Hate to say it europeans drive much better than "most" Americans. Last but not least IMO I would spend a good part of my time in Rome. Italy's not going anywhere. Save and there will always be another trip. I have been to Italy 6 times and truly love the country and the people.
Best Wishes
Scott
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Beata,
The Eurostar trains are the fastest from one city to another. You can buy tickets before you leave from the Trenitalia website (Italian Rail Service) or from RailEurope. During the tourist season the trains are crowded and it is good to make reservations ahead of time but, during this time of the year that may not be true and you can probably purchase your tickets after you arrive in Italy. Someone else may know what the crowds are like this time of the year.
I agree with the others that you may be trying to get too much in by doing Venice also. You will be spending a great deal of your time just traveling between cities. I would also recommend a car in Tuscany. It is wonderful just driving through the countryside and stopping at small hill towns or vineyards. Whichever way you do it, you will love Italy. Have a wonderful time.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Well I will try to answer your queries through my recent trip knowledge
Overall suggestions :
Most museums have audio guides(have a photo ID available as deposit). Audio guides vary from 4 to 8 euros.On arrival in each city we bought the guide books - Rome and the Vatican City for 10euros which fully explains all the highlights in Rome. We found it really helpful infact we bought also The Golden book of Venice 8euros and that of Florence 8euros. By the way have you thought of getting a flight out to Venice from Rome, it only cost me 12euros for 2 flights with ryanair while train is about 90 euros each. For trains check trenitalia.com. In Florence and Venice you walk everywhere to all the famous sites and its not worth buying bus tickets but in Rome upon arrival buy metro tickets for 3 days 11 euros each (days are counted by dates and not by hours so practically you will be spending 3 days). Mostly all important sites are easily reachable by metro. Metro closes at 21.00 hrs but buses work late till abt 24.00 hrs.
FLORENCE
Suggestions : Book ahead if you want to visit the Galleria dell Accademia and the Uffizzi otherwise prepare yourself for queues and queues mean waste of time. Entrance tickets cost 10euros if reserved its 13euros. Book only from the official site as any other site offering reserved tickets charge another 10euros extra for the reservation. Bogoli Gardens are worth a visit once you go over the famous Ponte Vecchio. The duomo and the bell tower (414 steps)are a must.
ROME
A minimum of 4 hrs each are needed for the Vatican and the Vatican Museums. Yes quite a lot off riches, art and history to see. Highlights Piazza Navona with the lovely church of St Agnes, Piazza di Spagna and Trevi Fountain (cherry on my cake) Castel Sant Angelo.
We arrived in Rome Thurs at abt 11am and left Sat at 15pm and we spent our 3(2)days as follows
DAY 1 pm
Noon - Vatican musuem, Piazza Navona & St Agnes church Piazza the Spagna and Trevi Fountain at night time.
Day 2 - Vatican, Castel Sant Angelo, walk along the river Tevere till the 1st metro stop and off to the Coliseum area. Took a glimpse of the Coliseum but we did not enter it but walked through all the Roman Remains there. At night again we ended up in Trevi area we ate there and we really enjoyed it.
Day 3 - Piazza Republica, followed by the 2 churches Santa Maria degli Angeli and St Maria Maggiore.
Afternoon off to Venice

VENICE
We stayed in the San Polo area 5 mins away from Piazza San Marco we spent 1st nite roaming and getting lost . Next day we headed straight for Piazza San Marco and we visited the Basilica and the Palazzo Ducale. As you walk through all the narrow alleys, you will meet with many small churches which are so rich internally. We just roamed around venice as finally in such a short week we managed to see all the important highlights and believe me in Italy one needs a year to see and appreciate them all.
I need to point out that we stayed out late at night in all cities and felt really safe everywhere.
Well with regards to food, menus and prices are visible at the entrance. Choose what suits you best I am sure you will definately find somewhere to eat. I really hope you do enjoy it too. Have fun
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Hi again just remebered that I left PISA out. Nice quite small city compared to the others. Obviously one shouldnt miss the Tower and the church and baptistry all in the same area. If you manage Pisa you shouldnt miss eating at La Lupa Ghiotta restaurant - from train station walk straight ahead as if your are going towards Piazza Republica and take the 2nd turning on your right you wont miss it - its a corner restaurant one shuldnt miss. Quite honestly I state that it was the best restaurant we ate in the whole of Italy - tasteful dishes, reasonable prices and a abbundant servings.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 06:22 AM

Just wanted to say hi, Beata. Hope you and your chef have a fabulous trip! From Travelgirl2
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

hi travelgirl2- I can't believe you figured out who I am!