Rome, Florence, Venice in 8 nights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a first trip to Italy mid-October, trying to fit in all 3 cities. Pls tell us what you think of this itinerary:

THURS: Arrive ROME 9am. (3 days)
Th/Fr/Sat nights.

SUN: To FLORENCE, arr 10am. (3 days)
Su/Mo/Tue nights. (Mon daytrip to Siena?)

WED: To VENICE, arr 11:30am. (2 1/2 days)
Wed/Th nights.

FRI: 7:30<u>pm</u> flight Venice to Paris.

We had not planned on adding the Venice leg until reading these forums. Now we're really tempted to try and squeeze all this in. Do you think it's too rushed?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I love all three cities, but I'm not sure 8 days is enough. Normally, I would say Rome for 5 days, Venice for 3, and call it macaroni (saving Florence for another trip). But in mid-October, I might opt for Rome &amp; Florence instead, because of the weather. It won't be terrible in Venice, but it'll probably be warmer to the south.

Just my 2 cents. If you decide to do all 3, it's certainly do-able. But it may be too rushed to be enjoyable.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:25 AM

We ust got back from our first Italy trip...We spent a second week in Tuscany, but the first leg of our trip was very similar to what you are planning. We spent 4 nights in Rome, 2 in Florence, and 3 in Venice, and felt it was very do-able. We traveled by train and loved it...very relaxing and affordable, as well as easy to negotiate. We did a day trip to Siena while in Tuscany, and would have liked more time there. Ideally, I would have liked another night in Rome and in Florence, but I think a couple nights in Venice are enough. We had a wonderful day with a guide in Rome (who was the host of the apartment we stayed at), which greatly enhanced our time there. Feel free to e-mail me direct if you'd like more info! [email protected]
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:31 AM

I think you have a good plan for a first time trip to Italy. Hit the highlights and say you've been there. I went to Rome and Venice on my first trip, and then with relatives, went to Rome, Venice and Florence on my second trip. I was a little surprised that I probably liked Florence the best. Be sure to read John Grisham's new novel, &quot;The Power Broker,&quot; which is set in Italy. Also, from a few years back, &quot; Hannibal,&quot; by Thomas Harris was set in Florence during the first part of the book.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also just returned from Italy and did the same three cities in the same time as you have planned with one additional night in Venice, and one additional night on the way back to Rome in Orvieto. Your schedule is reasonable, I think. Travel by train and relax. Have fun.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

It's almost like having an add'l &quot;night&quot; in Venice, since we don't fly out until 7:30 that night, giving us a full extra day in Venice. I haven't yet looked into logistics for getting to the airport. Would we have to leave town before 5:30 to catch that flight? (MyAir out of VCE).
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:57 AM

I think your plan is just fine for a nice taste of the big 3.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM

Of course, you won't get to see and do everything in the three cities, but your basic plans are eminently doable.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:12 PM

Jeanne, do what you think you can do and see, and I hope you enjoy it, but
as to
&lt;Hit the highlights and say you've been there&gt;? To whom? I don't see that as being a deciding factor.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Unless you are a huge Renaissance art and architecture groupie, definitely use at least one of your Florence days for a daytrip.

I know some people like Florence and that's great for them, but we found it to be the most unpleasant of Italy's big three.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Elaine: I wasn't the one who said that. We realize this won't give us time to really get to know any of these places. But it will give us a taste for where we want to spend more time on the next trip.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM

I know you weren't

enjoy your trip
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:35 AM
ira

Hi jeanne,

Very good plan.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:51 AM
SRS

I think it's a good plan, especially for a first trip. This way you'll find out which cities you want to spend more time in on another trip.

What I think is most important is that you don't try to tackle too much (or you'll be totally exhausted). I think each of these cities offers more than enough activities for a week.

Since you will be there for such a short time, I would pick one or two big items to do and spend the rest of the time soaking up the cities themselves.

Regardless of what you choose, have a great trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I think you're right. We're not going to try to see every major museum, etc. The thing we like most in travel is just &quot;soaking up&quot; the place. That's a good way of putting it.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Sorry to post again...I noted my e-mail address on my above post dated 4/5. I then received several inquiries from Fodorites but, in my effort to &quot;catch up&quot; after my trip, inadvertently erased a page of e-mails I hadn't responded to. Please feel free to e-mail me again!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 03:51 AM
AC

Hi Jeanne,
I did this trip last fall with my Mom.
We flew to Venice, spent two days, took the train to Florence, spent two days, took the train to Rome, spent three days and flew home.
It was enough time to see the main things and was great introduction to Italy.
In retropect, though,we loved Florence and would have loved to have stayed an extra day. I ended up getting sick in Venice and spent the last evening in the hotel room so Venice and Florence will definitely get more attention the next time I get to Italy.
Have a great trip!
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

What rotten luck to get sick on the first leg of your trip!

With only 3 days in Florence, we'll decide after arrival whether to take the bus to Siena on Monday. I haven't researched the Florence sites fully, but I seem to recall much is closed on Monday. So that might be a good day to spend in Siena.

Thanks to everyone for your input. We're going to go for it. Already have good replies from hotels, etc.