Rome, Florence, Venice-in 7 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, me and 2 teen-agers (17 & 15) are flying in/out to Rome in July. We will have exactly 7 days to vacate. I wish we had booked to Venice and fly out from Rome but now I am stuck. We want to see Venice, Tuscany, Pisa, Rome, and maybe Naples. How is this possible? Stay one night in Rome then fly out to Venice, stay few days, train to Florence(Tuscany),stay few days, then train to Rome and stay until we leave. Then if time, to take tour to Naples or rent a car. How does this sound anyone? Also, I heard there are "CASTLE HOTELS" to stay during our trip. AND, hot air balloons?
Please help us! Our teenage daughter thinks we are going nothing but a bunch of churches! Ha! I must say it would not hurt her!
Thank you all for any advice!!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 02:49 PM

While in Venice, I'd try a couple of daytrips--maybe Munich and Budapest. Forget the castle hotels, they are old and so, so, well, middle-ages. All stones and spiders--and many not in good repair.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM

Every time you go from one city to another to stay, you lose a minimum of half a day in travel, not to mention the wear and tear. I don't like splitting time in one city even if I have to go back and forth--that's more time lost imo. You have 7 full days? Arrive in Rome, stay in Rome 4 days. If you must, daytrip to Pisa, but many will say it's not worth the time on so short a trip.
Evening of 4th day, take train or plane to Florence or Venice, you don't have time for both, (nor Naples). From Florence you could do a daytrip into Tuscany if you like. Florence is art heaven, Venice is unique for just itself, it's a tough choice, but if your kids are on church overload in Rome, Venice would be more of a change, and calmer compared to Rome, but all of these locations are going to be quite busy and crowded.

Last day, allow enough connection time, but fly from wherever you are (Florence or Venice) to Rome airport, connect for flight home. I've done it, that's easy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM

Last September my wife and I planned a trip to Italy. We had nine nights on the ground in Italy, and had originally planned three nights each in Rome, Florence and Venice. We were flying into Rome and out of Venice...

Well, for once in my life I decided it might be better to only see *two* cities in this amount of days (which is two more days than you have). We spent five nights in Rome, took the train to Venice, and spent 4 nights there.

It was the BEST vacation we have ever had. Both my wife and I agree on that. Part of the reason it was great was because we loved Italy, but I remain convinced that deciding to SLOW DOWN and only see two cities added to the overall enjoyment.

You need to minimize your travel. Slow down or you will be sorry. Rome and one other city should be all you attempt on this trip.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM

Unless you have found some way to manipulate the space/time continuun the trip you are describing is at least 17/18 days. Or perhaps you could rent one of those balloons and just float aroud over all of it!

To do any more than two cities - esp since you must return to Rome for your return flight - is simply ridiculous - all your time will be spent in train statins and airports.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:43 PM

I do believe our weekend "guest" is back folks, LOL.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:47 AM
ira

Hi a,

Since you are stuck with flying in/out of Rome, I suggest that you go directly to Florence upon arrival - 3 days.

Train to Venice - 2 days

Train or fly to Rome. 1.5 days.

Fly home.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:33 AM

LoveI
I thought so too, but decided to err on the side of gullibility
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM

Hi elaine. Well, one never knows!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody! Well, I think I am going to book 1 way from Rome to Venice since it is an hour later to catch the 4th plane! Ha! Like someone said, you loose 1/2 day time so I think I am going to do this! I actually have 8 days (arrive 7/20-Venicea.m.and lv Rome 7/28 a.m.to home).So, 3 nights-Venice;2 or 3-Tusckany, and 2-Rome? OR 3 in Rome. We are catholic so we should pay our respect in Rome. Hopefully the new Pope will be there. Any input from anyone? I need to book good hotels especially to keep from my teen-agers getting bored. Plaza Hotel-anyone know about this?
Again, thank you sincerely!!
Anita
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM
rex

Goodness gracious, anitabelle... I hardly know how/where to start, as you seem to be quite in over your head - - and I notice that you continue to ask questions... piggybacked on to other mesasge "threads" - - where they do not have an optimal chance of being answered.

You should re-post, ASAP, in my opinion, and lay out the things that you (still) need help in planning. Hotels? If you are referring to the "Grand Plaza Hotel" in Rome, I think it is a fairly poor choice, and I have posted about it more than once here. Past its prime (which is sometimes forgiveable) - - but deficiencies in simple amenities as (not having) sufficient hot water for a shower in the morning - - are not.

Do you now have a basic itinerary? Are you still puzzled by train travel? (as a piggybacked question, earlier today, on a different thread indicated)...

Self-planned independent travel is a joy, an adventure, and a bargain - - when the homework has been sufficiently done...

I am a little worried that of the three... you are going to end up with the "adventure"... the other two, I am less certain!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<How is this possible?>

Well it's not. In your original post you've got 5 specific places you mention going. And you say "stay a few days" several times over. Even from your 7 days, realize that the first and last day are mostly taken by arriving and getting from the airport to your hotel, same on departure in reverse. So I say you have about 5 days to "vacate" total.

It is not humanyly possible to see Venice, Tuscany Pisa, Rome, and Naples in that time frame.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM

anitabelle- sorry for the post above. I hadn't been following your planning and various question. From another thread I see you already have your hotel reservations made in the 3 cities.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Anitabelle, I am jealous. Did a Europe marathon with my daughter last May and although we had a wonderful trip and enjoyed all of the cities had I it to do all over again (I wish, I wish), I would have spent the entire 28 days in Italy. As it was we spent three nights in each Venice, Florence, and Rome. As we arrived in each city by train and arrived relatively early each day we actually had 2 and 3/4 days in each city. It was, of course, not enough, but adequate to "get the feel" of each city and enjoy many of the sights. For what it is worth, consider sticking to the cities and enjoy Tuscany vicariously as you travel. The scenery is marvellous! We did Venice, Florence, Rome, but would reverse the order next time. Rome is a big city and it "bustles". Crossing a street in Rome is an experience. We were starting to tire by the time we reached Rome and found it a bit overwhelming. Venice, however, is quieter and more relaxing ... no traffic!
I am rambling ... tell your daughter that there is much more than churches in Italy ... although they are quite spectacular. There is lots and lots of shopping! And you may actually find a few bargains along the way.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 06:48 AM

My wife and I did Rome-Florence-Venice in ten days using the train and with my wife being five months pregnant. We did a quick side trip to Pisa from Florence. If you're very energetic, it can be done. Venice is more of a place to soak in- the trip to the Murano glass factory could have been cut out. The art museums of Florence are a must and the Uffuzi can be a long wait of more than an hour. Rome, of course, will be difficult to cram in three days but we did it. Good luck.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Your kids will not get bored. I gather they haven't been to Europe. There's much more than just 'churches', besides many of these European churchs are more like works of art anyway.

I would plan at least 3 nights in Rome. My suggestion would be 2 nights Venice, 2 FLorence, 4 Rome. If the kids and yourself really love art museums, then 3 FLorence and 3 Rome. I still haven't been to Pisa myself. it was requested by my kids 4 years ago when we went, but we also had a tight time budget and decided to skip it (we did a day trip to Pompeii instead, my kids wanted to see both, but we could only manage 1. Pompeii was well worth it).

What is your hotel price range? Quads are hard to come by but can be found. Of course you can reserve 2 rooms.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:18 AM

I think it would be a mistake to do this much moving around and would negatively impact your enjoyment of the trip.

I have been to Italy 12 times and just love it! But I would never race through it. Pick your top 2 and enjoy.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM

My daughters Love Italy but HATE the traveling days. We have gone the past 4 summers and their favorite trips were the ones that we moved around the least. I think 2 cities with a few day trips would be the best for you and yor family.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 02:53 PM

While this is a great thread I think we lost out OP 'anitabelle' several weeks ago.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM

even though anitabelle hasn't been back for awhile, i notice she's flying in july so i will put my 2 cents in. i too, plan ambitious schedules as that's usually how i travel the first time around. however, your schedule seems too hectic even for me. it appears to be running from one place to another with no time for fun and too much time travel time relative to the duration of the trip. (thank goodness you gave up Naples!) i would pick two cities and be happy to remember some places, faces and names...enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -