Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving for Germany in 2 Days - Clothes and other questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I leave in 2 days to spend 10 days with friends who live in Bavaria. The weather forecast looks like it is going to be cold and rainy; hopefully with snow at times. Being from the South (US), we don't have much occasion for bundling up. I'm trying to avoid buying lots of clothes we'll never use again once we get home! So I guess my question is; are jeans, sneakers, sweatshirts, and thermal underwear going to be adaquate to keep us warm while we are in the elements? Oh, along with a rainproof, fleece lined but not just really thick jacket? Actually, our friends have told us we can borrow what we don't have (coats, gloves, hats specifically), but the boys' sneakers concern me. Do I need to invest in waterproof boots instead of sneakers for them if they are going to tromping through rain or playing in the snow, for instance?
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Oh! The other question! Our friends will be taking us to Strasbourg (and through the Black Forest I believe) while we are there, if the weather cooperates. Any "not to be missed" spots while we are in that area? Especially that the boys would enjoy? TIA.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:58 AM

Sneakers are fine if there is a tiny bit of snow - maybe an inch or less. But if there is more snow - or a lot of rain - sneakers are fairly useless - they will simply have permanently wet feet. So the choice is - they stay indoors - or you get them some sturdy waterproof all weather footgear - doesn;t have to be tall snow boots - usually the ankle length kind is enough - unless they're really going hiking in a lot of snow.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 06:07 AM

If you want the kids to wear athletic shoes simply get some waterproofing (the spray type) and use that on them. I agree that in deep snow you'd prefer they wear boots but I would NOT go out and buy some on the likelihood that you'll be in some sort of blizzard situation.

Jeans..will work..a lot of young people wear them in Europe. The most important thing would be some sort of water and cold-proof JACKET such as something at least fibre or down-filled. You can get adequate ones at any discount store such as Target, Wal-Mart, etc., on line and so forth.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you'll be OK for clothes & especially if you take your relatives up on borrowing stuff (I do it often w/ friends in Switzerland if we have unexpected weather).

Water-resistant shoes would have been good, but since you leave in 2 days you may not be able to find them where you live. If you had more time, Lands End mail order has a great selection of waterproof footwear that is quite inexpensive.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Only if you are going up into the mountains will there be the possibility of more than an inch of snow at this time. You don't say exactly which city will be your hometown, but Bavaria is generally 30-40's in the morning and evening, can warm up nicely to the 50s and 60s in the afternoon, with some sun.
You should be plenty warm with your clothing choices.
Re: Strassbourg, Alsace--not to be missed is the cathedral of course. See if you can climb to the top lookout tower (about 320 steps up a circular staircase, 8-10 minutes and about 1.50 Euros each) for spectacular views. Visit Petite France with its quaint bistros, take a glass-enclosed boat ride along the Ill River (headphones give commentary in english and other languages)--70 minutes to see some highlights.
Meander the narrow alleyways and pleasant town squares... buy rustic Souflenheim painted pottery (available in all colors) and enjoy!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies! I've decided to get some waterproof footwear. I just don't like the idea of wet feet! Brrrrr....

Got lucky and found a couple of pair of hiking type books at the second hand store; now just have to find 2 more pair for the rest of us!

Oh, and Rach, thanks so much for the Strassbourg suggestions! I'll have to look for that pottery, and I think the boys would enjoy climbing to the top of the cathedral and doing a boat tour! (Me too!) My friends live in the little village of Dillingen, which is about an hour northwest of Munich I believe. I keep checking the extended weather forecast every day at weather.com and I haven't seen a picture of a sunshine yet! LOL And the temps have been predicted to be 30s to 40s (high - nights are colder). But then again forecasts can be unreliable.

Again, many thanks everyone!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:10 PM

We have been to Bavaria many times in the winter. I have taken a pair of slip on rubber shoes that go over my regular shoes and they worked fine. That way you do not have to buy boots that you will probably not use again. You can then use them when you need to with your regular shoes. You may end up where you do not need boots at all....or you may need them daily. We have experienced both types of weather in November.

Great area! Drink some gluwein for me!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm...thanks for the idea Bob. I didn't think of that. Yes, I'll definitely drink some gluewein for you. Looking forward to that experience! Prost!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:48 PM

You might be a little early for Glühwein. It's a Christmas market thing as I recall.

Dress in layers. A turtle neck shirt, a sweater, and a waterproof (leather is good) windbreaker should do you well. Wear an extra undershirt if it is really frosty. Knit caps and leather gloves might come in handy. Bring wool socks and an extra pair of sneakers for the kids instead of boots. Kids don't like to wear boots, unless they are under 5 years old. You can dry one pair of sneakers while they play in the other.