Problem in Prague

Search

Problem in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem in Prague

We are just back from 2 weeks in CR -- nine days in Prague. We loved the city but I had an upsetting experience. I wonder if this is a common happening.
On a glorious Sunday morning I decided to walk from the Intercontinental Hotel to St. Agnes convent -- now a museum of art.
The streets in this area were empty of others except that I noticed a nicely dressed, middle aged man walking nearby. When I reached the convent I found that it would not open until 1 PM, but decided to use the WC in the museum cafe downstairs. When I came back out, I noticed the same man standing not far away and when I began to walk back to the hotel, he came to me and asked something about "Namesti Republicky" and I indicated that it was far from there. Then he showed me a brochure for a rent-a-car place and said he needed to change money. At that I said NO, NO and started walking away when immediately another man appeared in some sort of uniform and cap and accused the other man of changing money. The other man strongly denied it -- and so did I. The uniformed man told me that this man was not good and it could be very dangerous to deal with him in any way. Then he asked the other man to show him his money. He did so and it was checked with something like a little flashlight (I presume to supposedly check it for counterfeit). Then he asked to check my money and passport. I told him my passport was in the hotel but I handed him my money (I shudder everytime I think of that now) and he began checking each bill. Then the other man began stepping backwards and I remember turning my head for a second to look at him. Then the uniformed man returned my bills to me, admonished me again not to deal with people like this man, that it was extremely dangerous. Offered his hand to me and wished me a happy stay in Prague -- but to be very careful. Later that day when I went to pay a cafe bill I realized that my 2000 Korona bill was missing! About $80!
I felt so duped!! But upon further thought realized it could have been much worse if he had just run away with all my money.
I wondered what would have happened if I did produce a passport.
I hope my little account might help some of you guys in the future.
Has this one been pulled on any of you?
Of course I know never to change money with those men in the street. But this one I really fell for.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience. I am certain that it will help someone else not to be scammed.

I'm very sorry this happened to you!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:52 AM

That was really unlucky for you, and I'm sure most of us would have been duped in this way too.

Hopefully you can put this behind you as one of those life experience things and not make you nervous about visiting Prague again. I hope the rest of your trip was less eventful!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:56 AM

If I remember correctly, we were approached twice during our 5-day stay in Prague by men trying to "exchange money" for us. We ignored both and that was the end of it. Fortunately, we were not involved in a two man scam as you were Royboy. What a shame this happened to you! But I honestly don't really see any way you could have avoided it.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I suppose pretty soon we may hear from all those, "This would never have happened to me" folks but the reason this sort of thing DOES happen to so many is because it is very cleverly designed to fool people long enough until it is "too late"...
the man in "uniform" who obviously looks, and acts, "official"....the perfect set-up to use against people who aren't familiar with the language, the local customs, etc.; the "nicely dressed" man (they NEVER dress down which puts people off right away..the more "respectable" they look, the better who obviously surveilled you first AND what better person than someone staying in a place like the Intercontinental?

It is hard to know what they would have done if you had produced a passport but I am glad to hear you were not physically harmed (which usually doesn't happen in these cases) and didn't lose any more cash than you did.

I'm still blaming myself for being so blatantly distracted and pickpocketed on the Metro in Barcelona back in 2000...consider this an "adventure" and keep traveling. And thanks for letting us know about it, too.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Royboy,

That's an interesting and artful scam. Sorry for the price you had to pay to help educate the rest of us.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:34 AM
ira

Thanks for the heads up, Roy.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the tip Royboy - just be positive and realise you got off relatively lightly. Lesson learned;Any large denomination notes should be kept in a concealed money belt, with your actual wallet having just enough for a couple of hours sightseeing etc. Hope your memories of Prague haven't been tainted.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Royboy,

I am a pretty savvy New Yorker. In St. Remy a few years ago I was scammed by a creep who offered to 'help' me with my credit card. This happened on a Sunday morning. Some quick hand gestures and I was unsure whether or not he had taken my card or the bank machine had seized it. The bank did not open till Tuesday! On Tuesday I discovered he had taken it. I called my bank in NYC and canceled the card and lost nothing. I gained a good experience and now will not go to a European ATM alone. By the way the name for this scam is 'Marseilles Collect".

Sorry about your experience. I send this just to tell you you are not alone. There are a lot of stumblebums in the world who prey on the innocent.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Dr.Roy,
Great post...I could have just responded to your email, but I thought an explanation of what happened would probably help others too.

Unfortunitly, this is a pretty common scam. What these people do is ask if you want to change money cause they'll give you a better deal, but they give you old Russian money, which is obviously not any good in the Czech Republic (or even in Russia for that matter).

The scam was obviously perfected by the "police-man" coming to your rescue. These guys are good...they work together, and often their hands are so quick it's impossible to catch them. That was good that you didn't show them your passport. He probably would have taken that from you too.

I was told that if this ever happens, tell the officer you'll be happy to accompany him to the police station. Almost always they'll just tell you to forget it and move onto the next guy.

I had a friend in Prague whose parents came to visit and one day on the metro a fake metro police came up and asked to see their ticket and passports. Of course the man had put the ticket in his wallet, and trusted the guy because he was dressed in uniform. Standing in front of him the whole time and watching his belongings, he never noticed the guy take all of his money, and all of his credit cards. It happens to the best of us. These guys do this for a living...

Better luck next time. I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your trip...
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM

The problem with these types of scams is they happen so quickly that you don't even KNOW it's happening. Thank you for alerting us to this - it certainly helps us prepare for the possibility.

I got duped in a Paris metro station when I was 21. I don't even know how - someone offered to help me with something, and next thing I knew, I was 5 francs lighter. That's not a big amount, but it can ruin a trip cuz you wonder how you could let it happen. You think you're savvy and prepared...but...the scammers do this for a living, and they've had ample time to perfect their moves.

Thanks again for the heads up.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:17 AM

That scam has been pulled on Italian trains also. Glad at least you didn't lose all your money, your passport and most of all that you were not injured Royboy. Thanks for the reminder of all the con artist out there.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM

You're all saying that this was unavoidable...

I'd never hand my money to anyone, it's obviously as scam! You're never asked for money by anyone unless you're purchasing something, have some common sense.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:07 PM

It isn't a matter of lacking commonsense! It is a matter that the traveler is in a foreign country. A uniformed, official looking person addresses them with authority. The traveler does not want a confrontation and so pulls out ID papers (or in Royboy's case the money) as ordered.

Even here in US people have been robbed and attacked by what they thought were the PD. Especially at night. Official looking car behind them turns on the flashing light. The innocent driver pulls over to the right and stops. The "PD" in uniform, with badge etc. comes to the car. But not an authorize PD. A sicko. A few years ago in our area women were warned, especially at night, if they had any suspicions about being stopped by the PD to drive to the Police station or at least a well lite area.

Royboy was kind enough to take the time to share his experience. I, and I am sure, many others appreciate this.

But putting him down is one reason so many victims never speak up. They are embarrased, made fun of and blamed as though they are stupid.

I think Royboy showed a lot of common sense, especially with posting here to help his fellow travelers.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM

I'd never ever take money out, no police officer or offical would ever legally want to see your money, nor do they have any right to so do.

People are far too naive.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Well MK2, with all due respect I do not think most Fodorites are naive enough to believe that you have all the knowledge you claim to have.

You have a nice evening, and do keep that money tucked away in your designer wallet that is hidden inside your designer handbag dear one. Cin,cin.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:58 PM

"you have all the knowledge you claim to have"

My dear, I make no claims, I say it as it is.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Royboy, at least you can be thankful that your passport was unavailable, as it was back in the hotel
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Do you participate in pyramid schemes as well as handing over your holiday money and passports to an official who is anything but?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM

I am sorry to hear that happened to you. I fear that the momey changing scams are quite commonplace, the Police officer twist is by no means new but is fairly rare. The Police here are only allowed to ask you to see your ID in very specific circumstances and never can ask you to see your money... always just say you have no money or that you want to go to the station. They will soon take off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -