Leaving for Barcelona in a week!

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving for Barcelona in a week!

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my upcoming trip plans and see if anyone had any last minute advice.

Saturday 9/20 (my birthday!) - arrive at BCN around 11 am, taxi to city and check into Habitat Apartment Princesa 3 in El Born. I figure we'll walk around, buy groceries, have lunch (maybe do both at Santa Catarina Market), then at 8:30 we are celebrating at Espai Sucre.

Sunday 9/21 - Fat Tire Bike Tour at 11 am, dinner at Paco Meralgo at 9.

Monday 9/22 - hit some major sites in the morning, lunch at Cinc Sentits at 1:30.

Tuesday 9/23 - booked an all day tour which includes Torres winery, Montserrat and Sitges.

Wednesday 9/24 - I hear the festival de Merce is going on and a huge deal, but I haven't found detailed information about the events. Also, I tried to book concert at Palau de Musica Catalana online, but never received email confirmation nor saw it hit my credit card, so I'm not sure whether to follow up with them, or blow it off and enjoy festival.

Thursday 9/25 - more sightseeing in city, perhaps return to Sitges if we like it.

Friday 9/26 - see Thursday

Saturday 9/ 27 - fly home Our flight is at 6 am, so I figure I should leave for the airport at 3:30-4? I can't decide whether to book a car service through Habitat, or if we can get a taxi on our own (since at apt vs hotel).

Thanks for everyone's great help in planning and please let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Becky,
We had a terrible time trying to get a cab to the airport early in the morning on the weekend in Barcelona. I would definitely recommend making arrangements with a car service, and also would recommend getting picked up an hour earlier than you think is necessary. That way, if the car doesn't show up, you have some time to get a taxi, call the car service, etc.

Barcelona is great and I'm sure you'll love it. Cinc Setits is delicious. We went there for my birthday.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Lucky you. Your trip sounds swell. We love Paco Meralgo and Cinq Sentis. And we, too, have booked an apartment through HabitatApartments (Carders, also in El Born), so I'll be very interested to read any reports on your return. We will be there for 9 days between Christmas and New Years extended weekend.

I share you concern about the Palau Musica ticket site. I can only get it to go just so far in English and then it seems to revert to Spanish/Catalan for the ticket sales so I'm going to have my son who speaks some Spanish try to book us.

When we were there in February this year, we did a day trip to Sitges and it was fun, but I'd say one day is sufficient. If you're looking to do other day trips, consider Girona or Figueres to the northeast, doable by train.

In the El Born area we loved Lonja de Tapas and Vinya Senor wine bar, but we didn't get to explore the area as much as we would have liked since we stayed in Eixample--hence why we booked an apartment in El Born this time.

Another restaurant we really liked a lot was Windsor--not trendy or youthful but very beautiful and modern with great food for reasonable prices. If you haven't already done so check out Maribel's Guide to Barcelona. She has great restaurant reviews. That's how we found Paco Meralgo.

Enjoy, enjoy. And do a report when you get back. Happy Birthday.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM

SInce you will be there for a week, don't give up on concert tickets at the Palau. It is a truly magical experience regardless of the program.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Hi beckytx,
Yes, don't give up on those Palau tixs. You may be able to get them at the box office upon your arrival.

I checked the Servicaixa site to see if they had tixs available for 9/26, but they now are only selling the tickets from Oct. on...

http://tinyurl.com/4wo46r

If it's a Promoconcert at the Palau, the tickets are usually sold through Servi Caixa. But again, I see no tixs for Sept.

Sounds like you have a great dining line up there. Sunday evening is a great time for Paco Meralgo, my very favorite small plates restaurant.

You might want to check out their new "sister", Two 7 (Tuset) on Carrer Tuset 27 near Balmes in the Left Eixample. It's the 5th creation of chef Josep Olivé, owner of Paco Meralgo, and it serves market driven contemporary catalán cuisine.

And the wine & cocktails bar 9 Cata on Comerc 9 in El Born.

Also wishing you a Happy Birthday!

JulieV,
For your upcoming trip, I see tixs still available for the Gala New Year's concert, Dec. 31 at 6 pm, if you're interested. Also a concert on Dec. 24 (don't know if you'll be in Barcelona that early).

Regarding those Barcelona recs on your wonderful Northern Spain trip report thread, I'm working now to put them all on a Barcelona update to add to my Barcelona file with other new and noteworthy openings-I'll try to have it up shorty, certainly before you leave on your Dec. trip.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM

We also had a very early flight and also stayed in a Habitat apartment. They booked a van to pick us up and it worked like a charm. I was nervous that they wouldn't show up but they did. What will amaze you as you're riding through the streets a 4 am is that the nightlife will still be going strong!

Have a great time! I love Barcelona.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Do try to see the human pyramids (castells) - here's a link to a website - there might be one on Sunday the 21st.....

http://castellersdebarcelona.cat/mon...introduccio/en

Pix on our blog

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...ona---the.html

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM

We arrived at 7 AM on Good Friday, no trouble at all getting a taxi, and despite what some say, our taxi ride for two was about 40 Euro. We were on Av Meridiana, can't even remember the name of the hotel now, but no trouble getting a taxi for an early morning departure, either. The front desk called for us and no problems whatsoever.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 07:32 AM

But they're in an apartment, without a "front desk."
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Yes, Missy, you're right. Still works for inbound, though, and perhaps the cab driver has a business card so his company can be called for the return. If not, they have a few days to inquire.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM

beckytx,
9/24 will be a public holiday in Barcelona, and festival events will be going on staring 9/19. Here's a link that gives some info about the festival events-unfortunately the official program is in catalán only, but if you read Spanish, you'll be able to figure it out.

http://tinyurl.com/5ftocc
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the ideas, and definitely think we'll still pursue the concert, as well as a day to Girona. I have Maribel's guide printed as well as new recs from this thread, so I should be all set.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM

While you're there and if you're not afraid of heights, check out the Colombus tower.

It's this tiny column which goes up about 60 metres in the middle of probably Colombus square..

It has a museum under it, which is nothing really, but you can take the elevator for a small fee, or for free if you've bought one of the hop-on hop-off bus cards.

It shows a magnificent, if somewhat frightening few of Barcelona.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

The Columbus Tower sounds like something I would enjoy!

On a side note, my DH works for one of the companies in the headlines this week. Understandably, he is feeling apprehensive about leaving town during these tumultuous times. Are there plenty of internet cafes in BCN so we can check in easily? I told him to call his cell phone carrier and sign up for an international plan for a month. This is such bad timing, but I am still determined to have a great trip.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Plenty of internet places to drop into.

Enjoy your trip. Regardless of other circumstances, if you have the opportunity to go and do something wonderful, then your first duty is to enjoy it.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how did it go?
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for asking! We had a great time. Here is a link to my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=beckytx&fid=1

Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

I dont think my link worked, but if you click my name a scroll down a few posts you'll see.